Do You Have A Problem w/Non-Traditional Headmasters Characters In The TR Line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Aug 11, 2016.

?

Do You Have A proBlem w/The Non-Traditional Titans Return Headmasters?

1. Yes--Stick To The Script HasTak!

73 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Of Course Not--More Options = More Playability

224 vote(s)
    75.4%
  1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I know its dumb, but yes I do, and I had the same problem with Combiner Wars.

No problem though, I save money by passing on Blurr, Scourge, and most of the other guys who weren't headmasters to begin with.

2. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

What he said.

3. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the most part no, but I'm hoping for some non-Headmaster third party heads for a few that don't really work to well as Headmasters (like Scourge).

The biggest problem with the headmaster heads is they are blocky and that doesn't compliment all TFs.

I'm wondering if on some of them, they'll retool them in the future without the Titanmaster gimmick, kind of like how Minicon Transformers were retooled into Cyber Planet Key.

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I'm a G1 purist. However I will make exceptions for figures that are cool or ones I can "fix". Like Galvatron is awesome and so is Sixshot next year. Blurr you can mod to allow for full transformation without removing the head and that's why I got him too.

5. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

One thought that I had is the non traditional Headmasters work as a sort of "what if Season 4 had continued." Arcee was the very first Headmaster and it's fully possible other characters might have undergone the process including those who had targetmasters.
    To be perfectly honest I've always wanted Targetmasters to be done in a manner compatible with Universe Cyclonus anyway or at least done such that there is a Target on gimmick. Hence I don't mind either way that these aren't Targetmasters since it would likely not confirm to my silly standards anyway.

6. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am collecting all the versions of the original headmasters in this line mostly, but if a figure cool I will get it. Ain't got no problems with them being headmasters, only adds too the playability

7. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Only have Sentinel and Galvatron for previous non-Headmasters and getting the upcoming Super Ginrai, but besides them, pretty much just sticking to the main seven original Headmaster deluxes. Will still end up getting Triggerhappy just to balance out the deluxes, along with Sixshot to keep the factions even. Throw in Bumblebee and Kickback in the mix and I'm in good shape for this line.

Unite Warriors is still my focus though so Hasbro/Takara can make everyone and their momma Headmasters, I won't be compelled to buy them.

8. Spumoni Dingo

Spumoni Dingo GPN Official Spotter

News Credits:
    I only really care if it affects the comics. I'd hate for a bunch of characters to go through whatever process leads to Headmasterdom just because they have a new toy, and then have that summarily ignored once the toyline ends.

9. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the character.

1) If it's an obscure character with few figures from both 3P and Hasbro: I'll take the Headmaster gimmick. The best example would be Quickswitch who is supposedly getting remolded from Sixshot.

2) If it's well known character who have several figures from Hasbro, it's not going to happen. I'm looking at Blurr, Kup and Rodimus specifically here. The only way I would get them is if the gimmick can be fixed.

10. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    It's odd that virtually everyone is a headmaster but no more wierd than everyone being a combiner in Combiner Wars, it's a line wide gimmick that promotes cross play. I personally have very little interest in the line but if it's selling well then great.

11. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem with non-traditional Headmasters. Unfortunately, the problem is there are too many Headmasters that were snuck in with TR. They over-did it.

12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I like what they've done so far. I think the TR scourge is an amazing figure, but I do kind of wish they would have made the original HR figures. I want a true fangry, and I want a true Ape-face (no, the small figure isn't enough). However, if what they're going to continue to make such great molds then my small complaints are negligible.

13. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    This is a great point. Very likely possibility.

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy seeing non-Headmasters showing up as Headmasters, except in the few cases where the gimmick seems to make the figure appreciably worse (i.e. Galvatron).

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    No problem.

This is the redefinition of being not G1 slavish. A new interpretation of characters who werent headmasterw before.

16. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    I have another question for those who dislike the Headmaster gimmick for non traditional characters:

Would it have made a difference if the Headmasters on some of the characters were painted more like companion figures?

For example:

Kup or Hot Rod with a Headmaster molded/painted to look like Daniel.

A hypothetical Grimlock figure with a molded/painted to look like Wheelie.

A hypothetical deluxe Bumblebee with a headmaster molded/painted to look like Spike.

Voyager Optimus Prime with a headmaster molded/painted to look like Spike or Sparkplug.

This would essentially make them Human Alliance figures.

17. mrcreativename

mrcreativename Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be into that. I absolutely adore my Titans Return figures, but I wish that more of the non originally headmaster guys had been given the Blaster/Galvatron treatment. Meaning I wish characters like Blurr, Hot Rod, and Scourge had been given mini-me Nebulans.

18. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

You are not the only one. One of the reasons why I am still here are the mature, conservative fans of each category. I mean if it was not for you, Sy-Rein, Booster Gold, and TyrantGalvatron (just to name a few)... I might have given up for a third time instead of realizing that the Japanese Headmasters gimmick is my niche. (Plus, and thanks to Booster Gold, I am also giving the Japanese Beast Wars fiction another chance. :) )

And I agree. I can name easily name two when it comes to being G1-related dicks. And he is easily neither example. :) 

I'm gone? :lol 

Teasing you. But yeah, I am one of the "first generation" fans. That, and I loved the Headmasters gimmick ever since my parents bought me Highbrow at a (Simi Valley, California) Price Club (now: Costco). Back then, I was upset that I did not have a choice. But these days, I think he was the best choice for me. Which is why I voted "Yes".

I agree. And when it comes to Hasbro's Titan Masters, I really do like how the Headmasters merge with their vehicles and become weapons. It feels like a good compromise, and I hope TakaraTomy uses it as well. :) 

19. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    None whatsoever. I have TR Clobber, Skytread, Scourge and I just bought Blurr, in addition to Max, Sentinel and the other Titan Masters. But the Headmasters were my favourite G1 subline after Combiners, and like Combiner Wars I love the inclusion of the gimmick on non canon characters.

20. Spectra

Spectra Dykebot Extraordinaire

To answer the thread title: Nope. I like the Titanmaster gimmick. They're like Diaclone pilots, but with more integration.