Do you have a limit?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, May 7, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Like sort of a cut-off point where you'll stop buying. Or maybe a set that you want to complete and then move on with your life. I know some collectors on here got in the habbit of it really early and it's become just like any other person's habbit (bloggers, travelers, etc).

For me, I dont want to go over $500, and after I get a G1 Shockwave later this year that will pretty much be the end of my collecting.

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always think "I get this and that then I'll give myself a break". It never happens.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    with TFs, no, as long as I can get money somewhere and they keep making cool figures, I have no limit

however, I have experienced the "finish a set and move on" with other stuff. Like, for Star Wars, I only bought the "Darths" (plus Grievous and Asajj cos I felt they fit in), and for GI Joe I'm just trying to make a nice Cobra heirarchy.

4. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I stopped after I got all the G1 I wanted and went into rehab for 15 years. Then my gf got me a Cybertron Prime. And here I am again...:p 

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I go though swings. Right now, I'm being REALLY good ... but TF collecting is like herpes ... you can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it.

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I'm getting to a point that I don't enjoy the toy collection anymore. I still really dig transformers, and the mythos, but the actual toy collecting is starting to become a chore instead of a choice.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    with tFs, yeah , Once I have MIB up all characters from s1 and 2 and the movie and everything else is loose c9 then TF vintage is done. But knowing me I will probably MIB up a few more bots after that like TM,PM and HM etc etc but I wont spend the same ammount that I have done. I will stop with new SW(95 and forward) once I have completed POTF2. I will then only get vintage SW. I will get the eventually statue if it is something I really really like. But the colelcting habbit I will see decline in a few years.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    a complete 84-86 g1 set. then im done.

...yeah, right.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It may be time to wrap it up after the movie toys, at least for a while. The last ten years have given me everything I could have wanted from this franchise:

My favorite TV series - Beast Machines
    My favorite main line - RiD
    An awesome threeline storyarc & toys - AEC
    G1 Reissues
    Alts/BT
    and finally, the incredible movie toys

I'll probably break from buying for a few years, then come back.

10. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I give myself a limit on the amount I can spend on TF each month...(in the process of trying to build a house)...so at the current moment my funds are really low in this department...as for the future I'm only into the classics and titaniums line...and once they are done I'm falling back on G1/reissues...and once G1 is complete so will be my collecting...unless of course another line comes out that I really like...

So basically I still have a long way to go until I'm done...

11. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've pretty much stopped collecting. The last thing I got was a reissue Star Convoy, and that was like a year ago. I have no room to display them so if I buy anything now it would just go right in storage.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    My limit is a number : around 250 pieces. If I want more, I need to sell some.

13. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Death?

14. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Word. I got Masterpiece Megatron last week. Told myself, last purchase till Botcon. Yeah right. I went to Target and I had to take advantage of the clearance Classics items.

15. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

With the movie line being the focus for a while I can rest easy on the wallet. I am sorry but those toys are just awful (only exception is MAYBE Jazz). I don't think a lot of collectors "quit" but take breaks which is why you should never sell your collection. You may regret it later.

16. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Haha....well I guess I'm in the middle of a major outbreak right now! Cause I definitely buy in bunches. Feel guilty for 6 months and stay a total ban, untill I see something "I have to have", and then bam...buying like a mad man for 2 months.

17. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I'll never go over 100. I'm almost at 60 right now, but I still have to get the G1 Dinobots, Predaking, Masterpiece Skywarp, MP Starscream (if it ever comes out in better colors), Alt. Nemesis Prime, Alt. Dead End, Alt. Rodimus, Alt. Rumble, BT Overdrive, 6" Titanium WW Megatron, Ultra Magnus, The Fallen, the upcoming Skywarp, Prowl, Grimlock, etc. Just to name a few…

18. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Limitless: Unlimited ammo FTW!!

There was a time when I would basically get whatever TF that was coming out and sometimes I would get the Japanese version if it looked better. Those days were over when I got married and actually maybe a year before it. Now I just limit myself to a budget of no more than 80 bucks per month. I tend to be a bit more choosy when it comes to buying my TF's. The only time I'll get a repaint is if it looks really damn good or if it's a character. I've learned that TF's rarely fly off the shelves and if they do, they tend to be restocked so I don't have to get it as soon as it's there. The only time I know where that's actually backfired is with Wing Saber. He just seemed in damned short supply no matter where I went.
    Still at 80 bucks that means a lot of Japanese releases are out of reach for me for the time being, especially the Masterpieces.

19. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

My limit is not buying figures of questionable design, or poorly conceived repaints. I'll get most basics & deluxes, even repaints if they look nice. But Voyagers and up need to impress me to get bought. I don't buy leaders, but I'll make an exception for the movie.

20. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

If I can afford it, without it affecting any of my bills...I usually buy it!

3 more payments left on my truck! After that....there will probably be a huge boost in my collection! :D