Do you hate ROTF Superion? Even with the FP set?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I finally got around to putting together ROTF Superion with the FP set. Wow, do I hate this figure.

First, with the ROTF set. What the hell is up with this thing. The chest is hollow? Not only that but it doesn't connect at all. The dumb tab they have doesn't make it stick together. FAIL.

Now, I hate to say this, but I almost think that FP failed on this too. Not sure what they could have really done here. So maybe they are not to blame, but I see a much much better execution on Bruticus then I do on this guy.

The arms on the set are horrible. They flap around and you cannot do much with them. The choice to have only one arm connect feels like a weak one to me. I think that was done better on Bruticus as well.

The legs aren't horrible, but you need to keep his legs spread just to make him stand.

I almost feel FP could have done additional connections or something else of the sort to make this figure better.

Lastly, while Bruticus is ammoed up to the 9s, Superions gun is weak by comparison. I mean, he looks weak with that little pea shotter.

The only thing I think I can say about the figure is, it kinda looks nice once you get the FP set on it. But other then that, wow, I hate this guy.

2. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the superion set was designed and released first so of course bruticus is a better design

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I think Fansproject should remove their name from it personally. Give credit to that other party.

Maybe I am spoiled by the awesomeness that is Bruticus.

One thing I would like to see in future FP items for Combiners, to articulation. The feet are so big, that it would be nice to be able to bend the front part of the leg for some kneeling poses.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Wow dude, harsh much? Remove their name from the product? It's not even a bad upgrade kit.

I, for one, love the Superion add-ons as they make the combined mode look more proportioned. Hell, even before that I used a fan-mode transformation for Superion that made him look 10x better then his official combined mode. The FP add-on set only helped to make him look even better.

Also, it was their first combiner add-on product. They put it out, it proved a success, we got the Colossus. Wins for everybody.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Maybe I am being harsh. When it sits there and I don't try to pose it, it looks nice.

I would have liked if they:
    1- Made a new head for it.
    2- Made a bigger gun for him.
    3- If they found another way to do the arms.

You gotta admit, Bruticus looks like he can destroy him. He looks very puny and the small arms don't help him much.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, that might be a pretty harsh suggestion @ Alucard77. This set doesnt seem as loved as some of their other stuff but there are a few amount of people that like it.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Hasbro Aerialbots set has always been weaker then the Hasbro Combaticons set. Part of the reason for the Aerialbots upgrade was just to bring it up to part with the standard Bruticus. The other reason of course is that it did not require new molds. As soon as pictures of the Bruticus set showed up everyone already knew it would blow the Superion set out of the water but an upgrade Bruticus next vs. a standard Superion is worse then upgrade Superion. You can also tell by cost that there's going to be a difference. The original price of the Superion set was $45-$50 while the Bruticus is ~$100.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Again, that's cause the Superion parts were their first step into that territory of add-ons. The Colossus sets were pretty much born from the success of the Superion upgrade.

11. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Superion with FP upgrade. I bought Process' abdomen filler to fill out the hollow chest area you speak of. Makes a noticable difference. While it's certainly not nearly on par with Bruticus it's still a nice set. As for Bruticus being armed to the teeth...well, he is formed by MILITARY Combaticons. To be fair, the FP guys developed the Bruticus set. The Superion set was developed by someone else and FP picked it up.

12. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course, there are a million of things they could have done differently. Consider: a new head would mean removing the original head via rivet or leaving it in place and finding a way to integrate that new head into robot and vehicle modes. The elbow joints are probably not strong enough to support a larger gun. The arms can be configured differently for a greater range of motion -- see the feedback thread. A lot of Superion's problems stem from inherent problems with the Energon mold.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    The FP add-on was also only 40-50 bucks. It was the first time FP augmented an energon combiner. I would dare say they learn more and more by the years and did an even better job with Bruticus add-on, just like the protector was to the City Commander. Engineering and design improvement. The Superion originally was a terrible failure anyways (the combined mode. The bot modes are not bad), so to make something with that much fail into something that is liv-able, isn't too bad.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Any ideas of how specifically they could do the arms better?

Completely new mold bots like Explorer/Munitioner could have worked, but besides that huge upgrade, I don't think there's a lot that could be been done.

The add-on shoulder mounts of Bruticus would have helped with shoulder articulation, but that might have made the width of Superion look off, proportionally.

To have elbow articulation the Hasbro-made Arielbot limbs are problematic. The pseudo-F-22's crotch splits so it doesn't have the waist pivot of the Bruticus helicopter limb that allows that mold to have both legs serve as the forearm and allow the hips/knees/waist to supply the elbow articulation.

The pseudo-A-10's waist & hip joints would work well for that, however to free them up, the whole wing pack/panel is going to be flopping around in Superion's armpit.

15. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really just wish the ratcheting hip joints were tighter. Unless I'm super careful, my Superion turns into McSlipsalot.

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Btw, I thought the arms were alright. They could have added a range of motion if they did extend the chest as Bruticus did. Most of Superion's issues are the legs. They get in each other's way.

17. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Superion was always weaker than Bruticus.

I love the Superion set myself, I have both versions.

It is unfair to compare the Superion Kit to Bruticus, simply because they were released so far apart.
    FP Still hadn't come into it's own so to speak.
    They have come leaps and bounds from the Superion kit.
    I would love to see them do another Superion kit, and make it something really special, but if they do not. I am ok with the 2 I have.
    I don't "play" with my figures anyway, so standing in a display it looks great!

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AFAIK, the dude who handles the Crossfire products is the same guy who did the Aerialbot set. He's just been fully incorporated into the team now, rather than an outsider who approached FP to produce his design.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I hated it BEFORE the set. With the set it's awesome.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    can't say as i have little interest in the add on set and i have not been able to pull a set together. as for bruticus it comes down to finding a complete set thats not at scalper prices. seriously there have to be far more sets of the figures than add on sets XD