Do You Hate G.I. Joe Crossovers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Heliblade, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do You Hate G.I. Joe Crossovers?

Poll closed Jun 20, 2017.
  1. Yes

34.4%
  2. No

65.6%
  1. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I hate it when Transformers does crossovers with G.I. Joe.

It's always the same bullshit. The Joes are always a bunch of smug, trigger-happy assholes that are more self righteous than they have any right to be. The Autobots become helpless pushovers and the Decepticons take a few levels in stupid, all just to play up G.I. Joe as if they're on the same level as the Justice League or Avengers, which they really are not. And at the end of every crossover G.I. Joe gets off with maybe a couple deaths at most, while the Transformers themselves die in droves or even get a total party kill.

At least Cobra has the decency to stay in character.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    No, because Sicoli's Transformers vs GI Joe is amazing.

It's stupid, but it knows it's stupid and has fun the entire time. It's a completely insane joyride from start to finish.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

IDK really. Story wise yes.But on the other hand this looks glorious to me: wwwwwwwwwww.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I like the original comic mini and the G2 comic stories.

I love the Scioli series.

I don't really need anything that came in-between those two, and don't care for the current forced extended comic crossover.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have never read a good crossover with the Joes. It's all varying levels of sucktitude.

Now if they made Epps & Lennox stars of a new Joe comic or show, I'd laugh. They'd be like, "it was a crossover all along!"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mirage00

Mirage00 Master of Hiding

Yes. Don't get me wrong, I love G.I.Joe. The sunbow cartoon is the bomb, though i don't like when Transformers and G.I. Joe crossover. Transformers needs to be a seperate universe not shared with others.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    A GIJoe vs Transfotmers Sunbow crossover might have been great but i have no affinity for the Joe franchise otherwise and any Joe vs Transformers crossover i have read has been absolutely terrible, the Scioli thing included.
    The lone exeption have been issue 2&3 of season 2 of the devils due comic.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Hate" is too strong a word, but in-continuity crossovers do absolutely nothing for me. Scioli's series was more palatable as it was its own thing.

I'm a Marvel TF fan; the original GI Joe crossover was omitted from the UK series (we got "Wanted Galvatron Dead Or Alive" to explain Goldbug instead). When I finally read the GI Joe crossover... it was awful. Terrible. It flat-out contradicted the regular US series (Starscream and the other jets alive and not in cold storage on the Ark, Ravage popping up etc) but even excluding continuity issues - the story was pretty wretched.

I should say now that I was never particularly engaged with GI Joe (or Action Force as it was known here for a number of years); perhaps if I actually cared about those characters I would feel a little differently - but I doubt it.

My main objection is why I think any "shared universe" concept (including Marvel and DC) is ultimately flawed. Most of the events of these franchises - like transforming alien robots coming to Earth and staying around to continue their war - are so completely WORLD/LIFE CHANGING it stretches (even comic book) credulity to imagine anything else going on not being completely swept up/involved/overwhelmed by events in that series.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Preach it, brother.

10. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The inherent problem with a GI Joe/TF crossover is that the two sides are just so totally mismatched - in a humans v. Transformers face-off there's only ever going to be one winner. It's like pitting Superman against Wile E. Coyote

This means that most such crossovers have had to severely cheapen/weaken the Transformers in order to make it a fair fight. Whilst that might be palatable for the Joe fans, it's not really what I want to see from a Transformers viewpoint.

But that's not to say a crossover can't be good. A Joe/Transformers body-swap adventure (maybe something akin to 'Only Human') could be milked for a lot of fun, I reckon. Joes becoming Head/Titanmasters for Transformer partners could also be a decent idea.

Dirge getting blown up by a Cobra Rattler, however, is hardly my idea of a good time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I think Joes should have a new crossover than with the Transformers ?

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really enjoyed the Devil's Due series where the Transformers were turned into Cobra vehicles. I hated the Dreamwave one where they were in World War 2. The old Marvel one wasn't horrible but wasn't good either. Was more or less just to turn Bumblebee into Goldbug.

I don't read IDW so I don't know how those are.

Old Snake rocked though.

13. Large

Large Currently confused TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tom Scioli spent 14 issues playing with toys in a brilliant manner.
    Quite possibly the best Transformers thing I've ever encountered besides my toys as a young lad and some people here.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't hate the crossovers, I can take 'em or leave 'em. Though I'll echo the opinions that I think it's a mismatch. There was a writer or producer (I don't remember who) that said putting GI Joe and Transformers in the same universe for reals wouldn't make much sense. Who cares about a terrorist organization when you have giant honkin' alien robits running around?

Nods like Marissa being Flint and Lady Jaye's kid and Old Snake popping up in the cartoon were cute. I'm cool with stuff like that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You have to admit though this was all shorts of cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    I wouldn't if they were done right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I voted no. I have no interest in them. But I have no feelings towards them. I just avoid crossovers and events.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Hate's a strong word, but I've never seen the appeal. The G.I.Joe characters are't especially amazing or unique, and they don't have a very compatible gimmick with TFs.

Humans are usually the most hated aspect of any TF series, so I don't see how having more of a focus on humans as a TF/G.I.Joe crossover would have really helps that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I don't mind the idea, though as others have said the actual stories tend to be lacking. But TFs and GiJoe have been established as co-existing in many timelines.

Heck, if giant robots are running amok, why wouldn't the President send in the US elite military forces? A crossover just makes sense. Though the only good applications of the idea in fiction have been "Only Human" and Marissa Fairborne.

20. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I don't particularly hate transformers crossing over with gijoe, or the 2 series being in continuity with each other.

The part I HATE is when the crossover lasts for 3-5 months, de-rails the ongoing plot I was invested in, and the aftermath gets one of the best TF Comic series cancelled.

#Un-cancelTAAO