Do you hate/dislike G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 13, 2007.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I've seen alot of negative posts about G1 or the Original Transformers so it made me curious about our community here. Do you hate or dislike the original Transformers, also now known as "G1"? I'm also very curious to know the reason behind your answers as well.

:) 

2. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love it.

I love G1, it's what I grew up with. I like all transformer stuff, but G1 is special.

3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The whole "specialness" of G1 is the problem (particularly for the first 2 seasons). If you looked at it objectively it's nothing more than a 20 minute toy commercial, and not a terribly well written one at that. But if you try and point out that to anyone, woe betide you.

4. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    It's ok.

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Cartoon bites, comic is okay. It's got nothing on the main marvel books, but it's worth a read.

Toys? Friggin' FANTASTIC.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I personally think some of the negativity towards G1 isn't about G1 itself but in reference to posters who feel the need to slag off on the post G1 shows as tripe. While using reasons that exist in G1 itself.

But on the subject of the thread...NO I Don't first and formost I'm a Transformers fan. Thus as a Transformers fan I like G1 for what it is, no more or less then I like Beast Wars thru Cybertron. I own toys from pretty much every line which is a testament to how I feel towards the other lines. Each are great in their own way. I own the DVDs, the Titan UK reprints and all the DW G1 comics. And don't regret it

The why is an interesting question since I really don't know why I like the original cartoon. Nostalgia probably the main influence to be honest, but then again I find enjoyment in most 80's cartoons any ways. Because honestly a lot of 'em are pretty enduring and creative

7. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    no.

8. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Though I agree that it was a 20 minute comercial for the toys, it was also a lot of other things. The 80's had some awesome cartoons that you could probably only really enjoy if you were growing up at that time... and for G1 to be one of the best/most memorable says a lot. The voice acting was great, the battles of good and evil... where the sides are clearly defined and also given equal weight to (how many times did the flying Decepticons trash Ironhide/Jazz/Bumblebee) were really rare in those days. As a kid, waking up on a Saturday morning you knew Hulk Hogan was going to kick someone's ass, but you didnt know if Megatron might or might not get the best of the Autobots.

G1 rocks. Without it there wouldnt be (for better or worse) any other lines after it, or this website for that matter.

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love G1. It's what I grew up with. Nothing will ever top it but I love to see them try. I get tons more to like too!

10. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    No I don't hate it. I don't think it's perfect, but when it came out it changed my life forever. Not so much the show, but the toys really had me growing up and I guess hold sentimental value.

Of course we have better TF's now but back then it was fresh and new.

And I still love my G1 collection very much. Bricks or not.

11. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Thats all any of the transformers shows are if you break it down. But for me personally I love it, its what I grew up with. I know parts of it where cheesy but then again show me any of the tf shows that havent been, even Beast Wars which everyone seems to be in love with had tons of cheese moments. But I think G1 had the greatest collection of characters and personalities.

12. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee inveterate lurker

I don't hate G1 ... but, when I look at more recent toys, then look at G1 toys ... man ... they were so GD crappy back then ...

13. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

The Character development gave us everything we have today. If it wasn't for that 20 min. commercial....we wouldn't have anything really...

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I like G1. its my favorite TF toyline just because of the variety it has.

I don't like the show, and feel it doesnt hold up at all after all this time.

I like the movie, but only until they leave earth. its boring after that, and I typically skip ahead to the unicron battle where things pick up again.

Despite G1 being my favorite line, I know the toys made after that are far better constructed and design. the lines lack the variety and longevity that G1 had, but I still like most of them (I love galaxy force the show, but not the toyline... odd, huh?). The energon toy line actually comes pretty close to beating G1 as my favorite, as does beast wars.

That being said, I don't really collect G1 stuff anymore. I'll grab something if I want it and can get it at a really nice price, but I won't save up to get anything from the line, and I'd never pay more than 100 for anything no matter how rare it is.

15. Rodimus

Wow, quick responses! Some good posts. Thanks for the replies you guys! :thumb 

About the 20 minute toy commercial... aren't they all? Isn't that the whole reason for creating a cartoon about toys... is to sell the toys it's based on?

I personally enjoyed g1. I agree it had some bad parts (see B.O.T. or "KREEEMZEEK") and the animation errors in the first season DVD (and some early season 2 eps) really annoy me, but when it was good, it was real good. I found myself really enjoying the episodes that ended with, "To be continued...." I still do to this day despite having seen them before. Maybe it's because I space out when I watch the show and I savor it when I finally do. It's like I deprive my self from Transformers until I can really get in the mood. This allows me to forget most of the episode and still enjoy it just the same the next time.

It's true that they did alot one piece episodes, and when you think about that they made 98 episodes in 3-4 years, it makes sense of how that happened, and how some of the animation errors happened. During the first season it was a brand new thing and a brand new project that had never been done before so they were just learning their way through it. And during the second season they were airing episodes every weekday. So they probably did sacrafice quality on purpose in some of those episodes for the sake of time.

But the thing that I liked best in the show was the times it explored character back story and also when it made new developements. For example in episodes like "The Secret of Omega Supreme", "The Search for Alpha Trion", The Key to Vector Sigma", "The Rebirth". They all explained new characters and some told us how Optimus Prime became who he is. Same with Rodimus...

This very reason may also be why I enjoyed season 3 the best of them all. The story flowed together with each episode better and more so than the previous seasons. It explained the creation of the Transformers themselves, and each episode had at least a little tidbit tie in that effected future episodes of the show all the way up the end. The Quintessons really added alot of depth and interesting dynamic to the show as they were useful in getting alot of answers about The Transformers.

I just love developing story arcs. And sometimes I like quick enjoyable episodes to here and there. In the case I miss an erlier episode, then I don't feel lost and I also don't have the pressure to make sure I saw all the episodes in a certain time period. (I can take month long breaks and still enjoy the show.)

I think this may also be the same reasons some people enjoyed Beast Wars.

As for the comics, I absolutely adored the Dreamwave stories that started with Vol.2 and up. I think it's because the characters in G1 are so unique.

Now that I'm rambling on and thinking about it, I think what I love most about G1 was the characters and all the different personalities, altmodes, and functions they were given. They might have been the most diverse bunch of any Transformers cast.

I'm really enjoying this thread! Keep 'em comming! :thumb 

16. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like G1, just not the toys so much...but classics are fantastico...i love u....gee juan...

17. Rodimus

I agree about the toys we have today being better. I remember as a kid I used to wish they would make the toys with more joints to pose with and have more pieces and looks to match up with the show. We didn't get that until recently.

I guess when you stop and think about what was said in this thread, it makes sense. G1 did have some of the best group of characters but they didn't always get the most accurate toy representation. So now that they have made some classics, as a modern day advanced representation of those same characters, it makes for sheer euphoria! (At least for me. ;)  )

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

That's a given. But in G1 it's really transparent.

Ofcourse. You gotta keep it light for the kiddies after all. But unlike G1 Beast Wars had characters that were much more fully formed. It has plots, and no 20 minute reset button (which is rare for any western kids cartoon, ever). Also it had a Megatron that wasn't incompetent as a leader.

Totally and strongly disagree. Beyond the main characters dozen or so characters the rest have virtually no personalities. For example the other 4 Dinobots all have the same personality. And that it's pretty obvious that Hasbro told Marvel/Sunbow. "Every toy gots to have face time!" Thankfully they've since learned there lessons on that

19. Rodimus

For characters that didn't get much TV time, I really enjoyed the Tech Specs. The Tech Specs were a interesting idea that was exclusive to Transformers. I don't think it was until Energon that we started seeing bio's on the toy boxes again.

The diversity of the characters and that there were so much to choose from is a plus in my honest opinion. Even if a few did only get one episode to highlight their personalities. I just liked the variety.

With Beast Wars they were able to develope the characters better because they had a much smaller cast. But this in turn also lead to a smaller selection to choose from both in toys, and as your favorite character.

Oops. I better be careful what I comment on. The last thing I really want is another X vs Y series debate/comparison being sparked. Just simply if people seriously do or don't like G1.

Those were good posts that explained why there were negative things said in other threads about G1 and I don't want to provoke another situation like those threads for fear of derailing this one.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well you can disagree with me all you want but for the sheer amount of charachters they had in G1, there were many formed charachters and plots, BW the show had less characthers so it makes sense they had more screen time and chances to develop them, BW might have as a whole been more cohesive but thats about it, sometimes I like just having one shot episodes, not a huge fan of the shows that you have to watch all the time to get an idea of the plot. So agree to disagree I guess. And honestly, what did BW Megs do? Yeah in BM you find out he took over cybertron, but in BW he didnt do much, his plans got messed up as well and his troups were just as incompetent as any of the G1's.