Do you hate a widely popular franchise?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoundMaster, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After hearing all the acclaim (mostly on the internet), I gave the show a serious chance; I sat through one of the six-episode marathons, even though it was clear to me about halfway into the first episode that I wasn't going to like the show. I usually only give a show three episodes to win me over but, because of all the hype Arrested Development was getting, I gave it more time. It just didn't click with me and I found it more annoying than anything.

2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Lost has a thin plot? Have you watched the show? It's like molasses.

In fact, I don't think anybody knows what the exact plot is at this point.

3. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Dragon Ball. Final Fantasy. Basically everything from Japanese.

I mean, some are good, like Detroit Metal City, Gurren Lagann, few others.. But the majority just spells "meh" for me.

Oh, and also.. Harry Potter, Narnia, Heroes, Lost, and similar ones.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Eh, hate? Nothing really, I'm just indifferent about a lot of things.

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Oh, so you just got internet access this morning after years alone in Antarctica?

Sound more like "tl;cr" to me.

Squirrelcar, I made no judgement of quality or class for the sake of objectivity. I would surely have been crucified if I'd put forth examples of good TV.

My point was that alot of these different shows share the same flaws; excessive filler in the case of Lost and DBZ, one-dimensional stereotypes for Animated and G1. Observe this summer when action movie fans start telling you how much they love Star Trek because they can't tell the difference.

All alot of people really want is an echo chamber and they won't get it from me.

If you can't tell what the plot is, how can you tell it's even there? It comes off as manufactured tension pretending to be drama. Just beating you over the head with "THIS IS MYSTERIOUS AND SUSPENSEFUL" is no substitute IMO.

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hate is such a strong word to describe what we dislike in pop culture and other forms of media. For me I dislike how we're so obsessed with image, like fitness and junk..hell people don't go to surgery to fix the problem with your weight there other ways, that'll be a last resort and stupid people, the people you act really dumb when their on camera for example reality shows...not really reality at all its almost scripted in ways and that bothers the hell out of me. Okay the other thing the bothers me is anime I mean some are good, but others are so hard to follow that you lose track, you know I've never witness any romantic involvment between male and female characters its goes stale really quickly and also too much emotion in the intro music they need to shorten it because it pretty much takes to long to get to the story. I wish I could list some more, but there are some here already posted, so its like hitting two birds with one stone, for me.

7. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

1. Hannah Montana
    2. Jonas Brothers
    3. Twilight
    4. American Idol

Can't say that there is any other franchise I hate.

8. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Most Reality TV .... Most Disney TV shows ... that covers about 90% ... Oh and twilight plus any of the underworld sequels.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Nope, that's not an example. That's a rather pathetic attempt at sarcasm. Try again.

Oh, another addition: the Tim Burton Batman movies. Such overrated shite, made even worse in comparison Batman Begins. I tried watching Batman again, and found myself thinking "Why does this guy dress up as a bat? Where did he get all this stuff from? Is there a shop in Gotham selling bat-shaped jet fighters without any need for I.D.? Why is Batman killing so many people? Why is Jack Nicholson regarded as a good Joker? Why did Batman, a martial arts expert, choose to wear an outfit he can barely move in? When is this movie supposed to be set? How did this drivel get a sequel? How did the sequel manage to be WORSE?"

10. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd have to say... Lost, South Park and Grey's Anatomy.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I still don't understand the hype this series gets. I know it was originally supposed to be incredibly grounbreaking, on a lot of technical aspects, but long before the game was actually released, all you ever heard about it was the next cool feature that had been cut out of it. I lost interest at least a year before it came out, when it became clear that all the cool stuff was gone, and it was going to be Just Another Shooter.

12. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Let's see:
    Harry Potter
    Twitlight
    Almost everything Burton.

13. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Too many people are posting the reasons they hate these things. I thought this thread was about stuff you hate without reason.

Anyway, I guess Twilight, Harry Potter, random fad-of-the-month teen novel/movies. I've never actually bothered to read any of these books or sit through more than 3 minutes of any of the movies so I have far from the information to establish any meaningful opinion, but I hate the stuff all the same.

14. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I hate those damn machines.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking it might be a sign of growing up, but the truth is hate happens at all ages, but I just kinda learned to put my personal preferences aside and realised everything has an audience and for a lot of it, I'm not part of that audience. Not everything has to appeal to me.

Now, there are things I don't like or want to try to like just from seeing marketing images or can't understand why some people do like certain things. High School Musical boggles my mind that anyone likes it at any age, or most of the other Disney constructs like Hannah Montanna.

Oh, I also live and breath video games. However, for a couple years I had all but stopped playing them. Not that there weren't any good games or anything like that, but it was the actual fandom that drove me crazy. I worked as a manager for EB/Gamestop for a period of 4 years and over that course of time I just heard SO much negativity about EVERYTHING, I got sick of the whole "scene". Anyways, this thread got me thinking about that, because a lot of those gamers just seemed to hate certain games just because they were popular. Games like Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto, where people just felt they had to bad mouth these things because other people were enjoying them. It gets to you after a while, particularly at a job where I didn't particularly feel inclined to argue. It got better since I don't work at a game store anymore, but I still won't go to PAX or other game expos or even launch parties thanks to that attitude still floating about. I guess I'm rambling but my point is that you don't have to hate something just because others are enjoying it.

16. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Potter.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That reminds me--I do hate those damn dirty apes.

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I hate Mixed martial arts. Guys rolling around in a cage, grabbing and punching each other? BAREFOOT? I'm not feeling the barefoot.

19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rage against the machine man, raaaaaage.

Also, Kevun Smith movies.

20. Honey-Flash

Honey-Flash Yes, I'm a girl.

I've gots quite a list-
    1. Twilight (Why would somebody like this?)
    2. Harry Potter (Its not that I hate it, I'm just not intrested in it.)
    3. Star Trek (I prefer Star Wars.)
    4. Marvel Comics (I don't know, but I just prefer DC. Don't kill me.)
    5. Death Note (err...)
    6. Basically any anime girl that is consiterd "Moe". (No coment.)

I'll post the rest later, I'm too tired right now.