Do you guys play with your Masterpieces?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimalPrime007, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    My mindset exactly!

2. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

What's dope is when you get the MP transformations memorized and then look back at how confusing it was when you first embarked ... I think 3Ps have really let my appreciate the elegant simplicity of TT ... it is their one hallmark trait that remains untouched by 3P inroads ... (FT Dibots notwithstanding ...)

3. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's just one figure I have that I haven't even transformed into all modes - MP-9. I've never bothered putting him in winebago mode as I know I have to sand/file out the spoiler slot first or the paint will scratch - ugghh.

Then there's a couple I barely touch these days - FT Tesla cos he's just dull (partly FT's fault and partly just inherently Perceptors fault) and BC Wardog (I like a complicated transformation, but those shoulders and the pieces those shoulders are mounted on - ugghh!).

Everything else I transform regularly cos that's the whole point and it's fun. Pose, maybe take some pics, etc. If that is playing then hell yeah I play with my MPs. :) 

This is something I've just recently realised myself. I like complicated transformations (ROTF Leader Prime = awesome) and used to tolerate anything, including MP-5 and MP-9. But recent TT figures like Ultra Magnus, Ironhide and Inferno (particularly the latter two with 3P versions to compare with) have reeeeally made me appreciate a beautiful, simple, elegant transformation. I want to fiddle with those figures much more than others. I'm even prepared to accept minor inaccuracies in the name of the elegant simple transformation, such as Ironhide's hip flaps.

On the flip side I'm becoming less tolerant of excessively and needlessly complex transformations or elements of a transformation that should just have gone back to the drawing board. So I look at something like those Voodoo van bros which just explode into a chain of fiddly little joints and loosely reform and... uggh I wanna puke! And did I mention Wardog's shoulder - ugghhh!!

4. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Yeah, I don't think FT is at fault with Tesla being dull. It's Perceptor - what is anyone supposed to do to make what is essentially the robot sitting down weirdly with his arms up interesting? I don't think even TT could make Perceptor's transformation interesting.

Most everything else I agree with. I was looking forward to OX Sphinx of my recent purchases the most, and he's a nice enough figure to be sure, but I've been picking up and fiddling with Legends Astrotrain much more. I think I was partly drawn to MT Despotron for his fun and elegant transformation and top notch poseability over XTB and DX9's options. I like a good balance - complex, yet clean and efficient. Parts constantly crashing into other parts and being forced to be left hanging in an exploded mess? Not my cup of tea. (but more power to those whose cup it is :) )

5. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Absolutely. The day I lose the desire to mess around with my MPs is the day I'm done collecting.

6. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Well-Known Member

I transform and re-pose my toys often, but they don't talk to me anymore like they used to do when I was a kid, I wish they'll talk to me again....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minimus Secondary

Minimus Secondary Well-Known Member

This pretty much describes me. No more epic battles, no more GI Joe/TF crossovers, no more talking to each other, and I no longer consider Pawtucket, RI to be the center of the universe...because I've been there...and it isn't. Damn you adulthood! *shaking fist in air*

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Usually, I transform them to bot mode, then pose and display them with other bots. Because of their fragility, I don't have full-on play sessions with them from fear of something falling off or snapping, but upon posing, I have battles scenes and dialogue running in my mind.

9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

For me, the transformation is the biggest part of the appeal of Transformers. I love to get them off the shelf and fiddle with them, especially MPs because the engineering is so fascinating. Ultra Magnus, Ironhide, Sideswipe, and Hot Rod are especially fun to transform; they're complicated yet straightforward. I love Wheeljack and the Super Datsun Bros too, but their transformations are a little more finicky. I used to transform Soundwave and the cassettes all the time, until cracks started appearing in a couple of hinges.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  10. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Shame on you, that Winnebago alt-mode is beyond awesome but at least you have a good reason so I'll let you off!

:D 

The honourable pope.....everything you've said here can't be faulted in anyway whatsoever. Since MP-22 I've been exactly the same. Take a look at a character like Ironhide...a character I was never counting the days towards his release, didn't like his design, personality and alt-mode in the toon and yet the amount of times he's been my deskbot is staggering, him, Magnus, Shockwave, Rachet, Inferno and Grapple are my most transformed figures. Until Magnus I never realised how much a good enjoyable transformation could really appreciate the enjoyment of a figure, I used to be an; 'as long as it gets there!' kind of guy but no more. I place a lot of emphasis on a good fluid and enjoyable transformation and a good toy in general these days just as much as I do on the looks of the figure.

In stark contrast to the lovely aforementioned TT figures I got FT Sovereign the other day, it was on a Friday, I transformed it once, put it back in the box on Friday night and it was sold on Saturday night on E-bay. I'm no engineer like yourself and I know Floro Dery cheated in the cartoon but Galvatron shouldn't be that difficult to transform....it was one of the most underwhelming experiences ever, it's the first time the transformation of a figure has actually broken the figure in my eyes. MEH.

Like yourself I'm willing to accept minor compromises for a good transformation and a good toy than something like Sovereign which looks and feels good but is nothing more than a walking Rubik's cube. Stomp, Grinder and Phoenix by the looks of it are the only figures in the third party to date which have come close the feel and fun of those TT figures I mentioned earlier, everything else...not so much!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    I don't "play" with any of my figures. I like displaying them and just looking in awe. I usually transform them once or twice upon purchase, but that's about it.

12. jeffafa

jeffafa Unknown Member

Absolutely perfect answer IMO.
    My playing is just grabbing one at a time and transforming to from not to alt and back, maybe changing up a pose for the display case, or taking a few pics for the MP/3rd party appreciation threads.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. It's like being able to play as a kid, but having the adult sense to know where the limit is on what to NOT do. It's so much fun posing them, creating different scenes and so forth. I don't have a digital camera, so sometimes I just post my phone pics, which aren't as good, but at least I get to see it in person!