Do you guys ever feel wasted in terms of collecting transformers Toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Nov 11, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Last night, I was just on my bed looking at my collection and it just came to me. I have a lot of transformers. Not as many as a lot of people here, but more than enough. I look around, and I thought to myself that, do I waste them? Transformers Toys are really fun to play with and collect. One of the main draw is the transformation, but it seems like after the initial few times, I barely transform each of my transformers to appreciate their design value. They are just all on display.

Take for example, my Fansproject Commanders. I have transformed those twice, before they are displayed and shelved. or ROTF Optimus Prime and Jetfire. I transformed them to vehicle once each, combined them once each, and left for display, probably never to be played again until years later. All collectors here are gaining transformers to their collection at an alarming rate, and while we sell as well, we can admit that most of us have a higher collecting rate compared to sale rate. Isn't transformers losing some of its magical touch when left for display only, and not really played with? Afterall, if we want display, we can always buy PVC stand still figures in dynamic poses.

I also came to think about my collection habbits. I remembered when I was younger and didn't have money to buy transformers myself. My parents would get me a transformers perhaps maybe during Birthdays and holidays. Even if it was a scout, or a deluxe, I would STILL transform it day in, day out. That was the "focus" toy for the next couple of days, possibly weeks. Back then I wish I can buy more, all the time. Now that I am an adult collector and can afford my own collection, I buy what I want, but in turn, when a huge shipment comes in, I find myself enjoying the toys, yet for a much shorter period of time. If I have say, 10 deluxes coming in, I am certainly not opening one each week and playing it out. I am gonna transform once, place on display.

Its a little depressing for me when I think about it. Just wanted to know you'all's opinions =)

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

For me, new toys are exciting, old toys get lost in the crowd.
    Every new toy becomes my favorite toy for the day. I'll probably enjoy it for the rest of that week and then it'll just sit on the shelves.
    Part of the enjoyment also, is watching the collection grow. The depressing part, is watching the available space get smaller and smaller, and realizing you can't have as many as you'd like because your space is limited to one bedroom. :( 

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

If all I had to worry about was getting my homework done by 4 after school every day so I'd be ready to watch TNMT I'd probably play with my toys a lot more than I do now, but I gots too much shit to do before I get my "me time" now. I'm all growed up.

I know what you mean though. I've pretty much slashed what I'm buying and intend to buy. There are figs out there that I know I'll like to have for a long time (WFC Soundwave) and others that I know damn well I'd be over in a few weeks if I bought them today (Hailstorm), so I'm skipping them... as tough as that might be when I see that brand new fresh mold on store pegs for the first time.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    After A/E/C, I really lost the "ZOMG NEW MOLD I NEED IT" mentality. My collection is down to a few that I don't plan on selling unless I absolutely have to, but past that, what little I do have left is all technically for sale, I just don't have an official list with prices. I know damn well I don't neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed them and I know damn well I'd rather buy new ones than leave the ones I have sitting on a shelf somewhere to maybe look at sometimes.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I only collect Us vintage ( no actionmasters, pretender, micromasters) because of the love for the vintage line and the part of my childhood. I need under 30 pieces mib moc to be done and I am looking forward to the day I have all.

I used to colelct new stuff but that just goes into the buy buy buy. Sure I an appreciate the look and estatic of the new stuff but I am keeping my into G1 only. I have enough space to display everything I want (soon will have when collection room is done)

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As adult, while we cannot play with our toys as much as kids so collecting and displaying is different but not a bad thing. The difference between having transformers and PVC is that you always have the option of picking it up and transforming it if you want to. Also, although the pieces do not get played with a lot sometimes when I have little cousins over I'll let them play with it, even some of the more expensive $70-$80 imports.

I do have too many though. Once it reached the point where I had to many to display and they were sitting in storage and boxes I started to trim down. It's hard to decide which piece to let go off though.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Absolutely! That's why I'm selling off a lot of my collection, so that I can more fully appreciate what's left. My MIB G1s are going because I never transform them and they are just museum pieces really, on my shelves just being all nostalgic. I'm far more interested in the newer figures with greater posability and engineering, and even with the possibility of completing a few lines! That was never going to happen with G1, so I figure I'll pass them on to someone who can appreciate them more than I do.

In an ideal world I would have every Transformer ever made, but really unless I don't have a job and get up early and go to bed late every day, as Optimus Vader said, there's never going to be enough hours in each day to indulge yourself and appreciate all the figures in your collection. And by that I mean sit transforming and posing them, rather than just looking at them in a static display.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Wow Auto Morph, I am feelin ya. I almost feel that I should start to sell the lines that I don't play with at all. I think for me the difficult part would be selling only "part" of a line. I have to get over the "don't need to collect the entire line" disease.

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are more works of art for me (i'm serious) than toys. But I hate clutter, so what I do is "feature" one or two at a time on a single display shelf. in my studio. Everything else is packed away.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Dear exomega255,
    We miss you. Please transform us more.
    Lots of love,
    Your toys.

Honestly, I can see what you're saying. When I get that way, I just find a piece that I haven't touched in a while and pick it up and transform it a few times. It reminds me why I bought it to begin with.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I wouldn't say I have to collect each line in its entirety, but some, like Animated have generally been quite easy to do and realitevly cheap into the bargain. I only need Cybertron Mode Ratchet to complete every single Hasbro-released Animated figure (excluding Activators and Bumper Battlers).

And once my KO Henkei Skywarp arrives, I will really only need Henkei Smokescreen, legends Cosmos and the FP DIA Commander Armour and that will be every classics figure for me as well (at least until the new ones like Jazz, Thunderwing et al arrive).

I do this because I really love the aesthetic of the new figures and even the repaints are worth something to me. In time, I could maybe stand to lose some of the Animated repaints like Roadbuster Ultra Magnus and Elite Guard Bumblebee, but once I can say I actually own a full and complete line I would be very hesitant to do so.

But I'll happliy have Universe Nemesis Prime and Acid Storm (for example), even though they aren't characters that featured in the cartoon or reprises of original G1 toys, because I like the molds, colour schemes, and they fit in with the rest of the classics line superbly because they are different characters in their own right.

The main line which has really got me into this mess is the movie. I got so close to being a completist with both the 07 movie and ROTF but eventually realised that I didn't need all those Bumblebees and Swerve, Gears, Recon Barricade, Dead End etc because I don't care about them. The reason I buy movie toys is because I associate them with the characters on-screen. So now what I'm doing is trimming the whole thing right down to the 'best' version of each of the on-screen cast and getting rid of the rest.

I know my theories behind collecting classics and movie might seem contradictory, but really it all comes down to which style of figure I prefer. I LOVE the classics look and feel and colour schemes, but the movies have really only a hadful of awesome toys and for the most part their colour scheme is quite drab. I mean, just line up all your movie Decepticons and see what it looks like, just a mess of grey and brown for the most part.

I guess a lot of it is the problem with collecting multiple lines and trying to be a completist. Now I know that money and space will prevent me from doing that so I have to re-evaluate in a big way. I'm sure my collection will continue to shrink and expand as the years go by, but overall I'm looking to go for quality over quantity, which I guess is what this thread is really about.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not really like that for me, all my figures come down off the shelves again to transform once in a while, so i don't feel like that, i think the least i've transformed a single figure would be roughly 10 to 15 times, if i'm going to sit outside for a few mins 'll take one with me

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I do envy you. I have lots of TFs that I have never Transformed, heck half my collection must still be sealed because I just haven't had the time to open them. More props to you as I see you have a decent sized collection as well (around 400?). Mine must be approaching that mark and unfortunately it's just too many for me. :( 

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I have more than one of every figure, so I don't necessarily feel as the OP does on the matter. I bought the Henkei line solely for display, while the Classics/Universe/Generations releases are often what I use to kitbash (or plan to kitbash, more appropriately) and/or fiddle around with.

The only Henkei figure I don't have a Hasbro release of (excluding Seekers) is Megatron, and even then I have a second one.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, for example when I get my "lots" from people, like a couple of years ago I had energon lot, but I never transformed say, the Superion bots more than once before they are combined and displayed, and the armada line, I play with them, but not everyone, just a few.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Do you have a collection thread exomega255? That would definitely give us a better insight into where you're coming from.

17. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I still mess with all my figures. Just the other day I had TM 2 Spittor, BM Mirage, and ROTF Skystalker in a fighting pose against HTFD Terradive.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    hm, I don't, unfortunately. If I have to briefly describe it....

I pretty much have complete lines of (Hasbro release + some takara ones)

RiD
    A/E/C
    Animated
    PCC
    Generations
    Classics
    Universe
    HTFD
    ROTF
    human Alliance

Combined with most third party releases of FP, Perfect Effect, TFCC.

Keep in mind that this is not counting my:

Brave collection
    Revoltech Collection
    Busou Shinki collection
    Soul of Chogokin collection
    Bomberman collection
    Gundam Models collection
    Gundam Figures collection
    Figma collection
    Misc Robot Collection

So its not really that I feel that they are a "waste", but in a sense that, they barely get to be played with. The figures I play with are usually not the most expensive of them, just the ones that are durable and "fun" to transform.

Edit:: I try to mess around with them, but having to work pretty much 7 to 7, and taking care of other things after, I barely have time to dust them.

19. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Mine are mostly for display purposes. I dont "play" with them other than to fiddle with one here or there but i have a big part of my collection misb as it is. Each collector is really different in how they collect and sometimes people come to a point where they think they should get rid of some of them for various reasons.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Gotta be honest and say I'm not at all interested in the non-TF stuff, but I would really love to see your collection. Any chance of creating a thread for it? :popcorn