Do you gotta have them all?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ronin0510, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So last night I got into an arguement with my mother-in-law about collecting. I feel like a collection is anything you want it to be. I think collections are a personal thing. She says I don't have a collection because I don't have every figure currently out now. But I don't have them all cause I don't like all of them. I know this will upset a lot of folks but I hate movie megs and starscream so I don't have them in my collection. So she critizes me for not having a "full" collection. I told her a collection is a set of things that one wants. If you feel like having everything that comes down the pipe to have a full collection that's great, but just cause someone else doesn't have all of them doesn't mean they don't have a collection. Personally, I only want to get what I like in my collection..i'd like to know what kind of collector everyone else is and how ya'll feel about collecting whether you have to have everything to have a collection?

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a collection. But definitely not by your mother-in-laws definition. I don't buy FAB, Robot Heroes, Bumper Battlers etc... I just buy what I like and put it on shelf.

3. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think that you need everything that comes out to have a collection. Mainly because I would never have a collection if I believed that (not for not liking the toys, but because I don't have that kind of cash).

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Guess I don't have a real collection then cause I only have what I like on my shelves, ah well.

5. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I consider myself to have collection, and I am in no way a completionist. The only line I'd say I'm close to completeing is MP, and that's only because there's so few of them.

Of course, if you really want to argue on the basis of "collection" = "complete set", you could always just say that you have the complete set of toys that you currently want ;) 

6. ronin0510

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL money is a factor but mainly I think its about what you like and don't like. I don't like bayformers MEGS at all and Starscream isn't way terrible but, I don't want to buy them. Se told me I will never have a collection because of that, but its not about what is out there but rather what I want in MY collection. SHe just thinks you have to have everything for it to even be considered a collection. So then I ask whats the point of collecting if you are collecting anything you like.....? Its like doing something just for the sake of doing it rather than enjoying it. I mean I understand if you LIKE everything and want to collect all the TFs but I feel like you shouldn't be obligated to collecting one figure if you don't like it.

7. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I used to collect everything. It just gets too expensive and you run out of room. That and the fact you buy stuff your not crazy about. The last few lines I only buy what I want now and I will most likely get rid of all the stuff I don't want in the next year or so. Just going to stick with my G1s and keep only the figures I like from the lines following G2

8. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    My collection consists, just like you, out of the toys that I LIKE. Granted, its mostly 9 out of 10 figures in the line, and sometimes I break down and buy one just because there isn't a cool one coming for some time.

You don't have to buy everything :)  Collections can be small or big, but most importantly, they're PERSONAL..so make the collection you want!

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    your collection is whatever you have collected.................either only a few...or everything...............................thats how i look at it :) 

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Mother-in-laws, why do you always gotta be so damn cantankerous?

11. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

I just get what I like and that's it.

12. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I buy toys that don't suck... and some that do. I really just want toys I'll want to look at and fiddle with, not every color of the crappy movie Scorponok mold.

13. ronin0510

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    @ Dinobot Nuva: True that..lol she will more than likely buy me megs and starscream but seriously she was getting ornery.

I thought I was going crazy when she was arguing with me at first but then I realized that collecting TF was my hobby and as much as I love all TF some of the action figures and things were not for me so I didnt have to have them in my collection. Anyhow thanks for sharing guys. You guys rock.

14. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    may i ask what she's collecting? :) 

15. ronin0510

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL porcelain and ceramic dolls she hand paints them.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Ask her what dictionary she's using to get that definition.

17. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    A collection is a grouping of whatever you want it to be. If I have a collection of taxidermied dead animals it's still a collection even if I don't have every animal that has ever died.

I...I don't keep dead animals, by the way. Just Transformers and Godzilla. There was that mouse, but that was more of a mistake. I threw him out as soon as I found out he was dead.

I'm going to stop talking now.

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

A collection is what you want it to be. What is considered complete also varies from person to person.

The question you should be asking is - how willing would your mother in law be to buy you the toys she thinks your collection needs in order to be complete in her estimation?:wink: 

19. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Tell your mother-in-law that "collection" and "comprehensive collection or complete collection" are different things. Everything you stated in your post is valid.

Aside from giving in to the ROTF toys, I primarily collect G1. But I'm not trying to collect everything from 1984 to 1993. 1984 through 1986 is what defines my collection.

20. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

My "collection" consists of what I want. I don't get everything. I usually stray away from repaints, and side lines (FAB, Legends....).

Tell her if it bothers her so much, she is welcome to flesh out your collection for you. :D