Customs: Do you get Bashers Thumbs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TonyzCustomz, Aug 30, 2008.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just recently I have been working a lot more sculpting and whatnot(Cause I am a full time toy builder/modeler.:p ) My thumbs though have been extremely sensitive as of lately to the point that I have to stop working cause if I tried to sculpt or use styrene my fingers would hurt and feel like they are going to bleed or something.

Any one else experience this?

Radicons Discuss!!!

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've had it happen before, usually from having to press hard on things either in grip or just to mash together. not from basic sculpting though... its like learning to play a guitar... at first it tears your fingers up, but if you keep at it through the pain, they'll become really tough and eventually they'll not bother you again (unless you stab 'em! :p )

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    haha. I used to play guitar...a lot. Which built up nice callouses on them. Now, I have very thick pads on my finger tips, which helps avoid a lot of pain.

I sometimes dremel into my fingertips, and it doesn't damage them. You can try some "invisible glove" lotion on your hands prior to working on bashes, it's got some strange stuff in it which makes your fingers more invulnerable towards pain and damage.

The worst ache i have is crazy glue. no matter how hard I try or careful I am, I tend to get that crap all over my hands. It's a bitch to clean off too.

Another ache is all the high-toxic materials I use, enamel paint, apoxy glues and resin, paint thinner and lacquer thinner, x-acto blades, the scary dremel...they are all prone to accident - and it's important to hav good medical coverage, as a tiny slip could result in plastic or metal debris in your eyeball or a deep cut from a blade or bit.

EDIT: hehe RL brought up the same point as me, with the guitar fingers...

Another thing to avoid is generic rotary tools (non-dremel) and their bits... I've had countless "cheaper" sanding disks and detail bits - explode into flying particles of death. NEVER has a dremel bit shit out on me.

4. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Andy it hurts so bad when I have to press something together, but sculpting hurts to because I am sculpting in wax and it is very hard stuff.

LOL I don't have any medical coverage(I got a nice slice in my thumb and it was super glue to the rescue LOL). The thing is they have been like this for months now which is why I ask, I would have thought I would have callouses by now too. I think I will try that lotion F_R, sounds great and I hate gloves. LOL I could not imagine how much headaches you have, I just started getting the allergic reaction to super glue so now I need to go get a mask(need one anyways for some new paint, it is pretty high V.O.C.)

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

:lol  Particles of death.

I took kickboxing for years (in the states and in Korea for a little while). From all of the push-ups, boxing and training, I have fingertips like stone, damn near. So, I never really have had a problem with sensitivity.

What sucks about that is I can hardly tell when I am applying too much pressure on something. I can't tell you how many pieces of a TF I have snapped, or paint app I have jacked up because of that.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    No, you're just a puss! :lol 

JUST KIDDING!! My fingers can get a little cramped when tightly gripping stuff, but not really sore.

I've been playing guitar for 23 years, and am a brick/block mason by trade for 15 years(though I don't do masonry any more, since around 2003)

So I pretty much have the slasher hands! :lol  Callouses on top of callouses!

7. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL Ass! ;) 
    You kinda right though, I am not a guitar player or some sort of construction worker type so my hands are pretty soft, recently though they have been getting rough. Gotta be careful, might rip the ladies nylons. LOL

8. big hank

News Credits:
    You have the hands of an artiste' !:D  Nothing to be ashamed of!! :cool:  I'm sure I'm not the only one here working towards fulltime modeler/sculptor/basher/painter!:thumb 

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I've cut my hands beat them from woodworking and the like, that I just don't notice it much.

However, I did notice when I tried to grab my 1HP disc/belt sander from the wrong side and nearly sanded my finger prints off.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    What're you talking about Tony? You're such a wuss!

Hehe, just kidding buddy! :D  I don't have chronic pain in my fingers of sorts, but it can be painful while working when I try to separate certain pieces or press on pieces firmly (as if to hold them for superglue). Also, my fingers and hands can cramp while holding certain pieces since they can be awkward to do so.

I echo the sentiment f_r says about superglue. I hate getting that stuff on my hands, even though nail polish remover can take care of some of it.

Aside from that, I just try to be really careful. I wear glasses, so my eyes are protected a good deal from debris. I've actually burnt myself from my soldering iron twice, but each time hasn't been bad because it's just been a light touch. For paints, I just try to have the area ventilated. :) 

11. big hank

News Credits:
    Where's the fun in that?:D ream:

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LMAO Glasses!?! and your calling em a wuss? J/K I weld and I never even wear a face shield. LOL That's tuff. Seriously that super glue is kicking my a$$ recently so the face mask is a must at least, but glasses?

13. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

tony is it the same pain you get when you play to many video games like the old school nintendo controller pad or is it a deeper pain? either way it sounds like inflamation so ice or an anti inflamitory medicine may help like ibuprophine

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    no glasses/gloves/protection makes kitbashing more like an extreme sport.

hot melted plastic in the eyeball feels so warm and nice.

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Ok, now all you guys scare me. :lol 

16. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I've got "Basher's Thumb" right now, and it sucks. I usually go some time between repaints, but I went crazy and am doing 3 at the same time. Im hoping to debut them next weekend

17. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

my fingers hurt right now so I'm taking a break also, plus I misplaced my camera so I can't show you all the MP triggerhappy I'm working on...

18. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    My hands would get sore ever once in a while.
    I took a nasty chuck out off my thumb with my dremel & a cutting disc about 2 weeks ago.
    It's still healing & is very sensitive to pressure and heat, it's make for a fun time bashing.

Now all your missing is strapping a rocket to your back & snowboarding down a hill at the same time.

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

my problem when i bashing is continuously slicing through my thumb as i shave little parts and pieces( cut away from yourself rumble02 cut away)

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    And I used to think sniffing paint every now and then got to my brain. :lol 

I feel compelled to share the following unofficial official statement:

Radicons nor TFW2005.com assumes any loss due to injury or Transformers toys during the process of kitbashing. Should you ever experience such a loss, please contact your local physician immediately. Seek proper insurance policies that protect your loss due to your own stupidity. Arrangements should be made to see that all ideas and concepts are completed if you experience the loss of an appendage, mind, or person. Transformers customs and kitbashes have the right to be created, despite any such loss. Radicons and TFW2005.com reserves the right to communicate comedic responses should such an accident as detailed above happens. All members should therefore expect such action to be taken should this likely event occur, in fact, just expect it. Should this all occur, Radicons and TFW2005.com will communicate such ideas in a constructive way towards the said member(s) to ensure the integrity of its staff and its community.

:D