Do you find Zombies in TV/Movies/games/fiction overrated?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kaijuguy19, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Ever since Night of the Living Dead was made there has been a flow of Zombie reladted ficiton in the Pop Culture media escpiacllt in recant years.

However does anyone here find them overrated?

I do because in almost EVERY fiction that's been done with them it's almost the same boring setting! Is it really hard to come up with something new with them? If not then give them a break for a while!

What do you think?

2. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    This entire zombie "boom" occured in the last decade. With Night of the living dead in 68, followed Dawn of the dead in 78, which is what spawned Return of the living dead and numerous obscure italian films that hold up well.

The thing died down a bit after Day of the Dead in 85 or so. Resident evil videogames and the wonderful NOTLD remake held the "franchise" in the 90ies, along with various return of the dead sequels.

Then Dawn of the dead remake in 2004, along with the zombie survival guide, dead reckoning and the walking dead comics followed. And it only because as mainstream as it's treated as today because of the walking dead TV series.

Well, the fiction with zombie tales is that they bite us, take over our world and we watch ourselves descent into mindless, inhumane beasts. All with some zombie gore thrown in. That's the zombie setting.

Much like how it's Autobots versus Decepticons taking disguise as earth vehicles. That's the transformers setting.

And so on...

3. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Yes.

4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

One thing I also noticed once, the zombie "boom" mainly derives from one pop-culture creation: The Zombie Hunter, the badass figure that we all want to be/see on the TV, you notice, most stories now are about how the heroes will fuck up the zombies, instead of the other way around.

And I think it's possible to make new things with them, like Zombieland, that showed a bizarrely uplifting world where people just want to find happyness across a wretched land.

But yes, they have been overused these years.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    They are over-used and I am sick and tired of them

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I thinkk they have gotten so much attention they have become overblown and passe. I do like The Walking dead because it's character driven, not because of the zombies.

7. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Overused? Certainly.
    Overrated? If you're implying that many current pieces of fiction featuring zombies have no redeeming aesthetic qualities, then you're very mistaken, friend. For all the 'SyFy Original' grade Z movies that have zombies, there is still a relatively high percentage of entertaining or even thoughtful films. And then there's The Walking Dead - what a great series.

I'd still rather take a chance on a zombie movie with mixed reviews than a romantic comedy with mixed reviews.

8. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I never said that they don't have the capacity for doing things different for a change. I was just saying that they way they are used right now is overrated. It's almost the same thing some apocolsye happens featuring a group of survivoers killing zombie to stay alive but it's like there's no hope for humanity after that. If they did something that's different for change like say make the Zombies intelligent and supernatural for example then that's a good start!

9. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I actually like playing Left 4 Dead 2 thank you very much.

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think they are overused, but I still love certain things like Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, and The Walking Dead. I also like Left 4 Dead and I can't wait for The Last of Us to come out.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Massively overrated. They've lost any interest they may have ever have, for me.

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I don't think I could ever get sick of seeing zombie shows/movies.

13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    If you wanna talk about something being overused then I can sum it up in one word.

Vampires.:lol 

14. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    True:lol  But at least Vampires have different secnerios going on!

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    They've overused, no doubt about it. I'd like to see some other, more exotic kinds of undead beings, like helghasts or aswang or jiang-shi or penanggalan, receive the spotlight that the zombies have been hogging way too much.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Zombies are the modern era monsters. They are scary because we almost have a cure for everything, except death. They are truly frightening because they look just like us, except they no longer have a soul, you can not reason with them, or even understand their motives. They are the anti-theisis of science and religion, the only things that mankind has a belief in, when something is unexplained. They are a perfect motive to describe a society's way of dealing with something that does not make sense.

They might be over rated, but you can tell so many different and unique stories with them. Can't wait till WWZ!

17. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

That's pretty much how I feel.
    Also with the Walking Dead, it always kind of bugs me when I see some fans complain about how they feel there isn't enough zombie action in the show.

Though, that said, I do appreciate a good zombie killing.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Zombies are awesome.

19. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Batman said this. It's cannon now, deal with it.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yes. I canĀ“t really buy shit like the Battle of Yonkers which was completely retarded.