Do you find yourself liking the movie less now that the DVD is out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Oct 17, 2007.

1. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

See... there's your problem. You followed Dream Wave / Dream Engine / Lucifer... Sorry about that. That's not Transformers... that was a perversion.. an attempt at making something "grown up and mature" by making it dark and angsty. Thankfully, it failed :) 

2. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Agreed!

3. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

This is true I dont like the movei any less. but I definately examine ALOT of it now.

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I was nervous I would have problems with my disc. We have bad luck with Dreamworks DVDs in my house. We went throug 3 Madagascars and I think 2 Over the Hedges to get working copies. Fortunately my TF DVD seems fine so far.

As for the OP, I watched most of it yesterday and still enjoyed it quite a bit. Nothing will ever be as good as the theater. But having an LCD TV and surround sound helps alot. I had that movie so damn loud I got chills during the Autobot arrival scence. Moral of the story is "Crank it up F*CKERS!!"

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like the movie more now that it's out.

It's a way better movie with the crisp cleanees of an HD T.V. instead of a theatre wall.

The Pros far outweigh the Cons with this movie.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I like it just as much as I did before. Though it's not QUIITE as cool as seeing the Transformers on a gigantic theater screen ;) 

7. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

Oh just like IDW? Thats just as Dark and Angsty as the DW version.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    After first getting the DVD about a month ago, I have to say I like the movie *more* than when I saw it in theaters. I've probably re-watched it about 15 times in the past 4 weeks, and then watched it yet again last night after buying the official 2-Disc version. Even with all it's flaws - and there are a LOT of them - I'm still watching & enjoying at much as I did when I was a kid with the animated movie when it came out on VHS.

The Autobot arrival has easily become my absolute favorite part of the entire movie. Everything from the way it was shot to the music they used - just perfect.

9. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Speaking for myself, not really. It was a popcorn flick, I viewed it as such in the theater, and I see it relatively the same at home. I can understand why some people would feel differently about the movie later, but the usual stuff people didn't like then or don't like now just doesn't bug me.

:dj 

10. Pikatron

I'm loving the G1 references like how Jazz redirects Brawl's canon like Kup did Blitzwing's in the G1 movie.

11. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Whoa. I've got to take issue with this. Lemme get this straight. You want your movies pan-and-scanned to remove both sides of the image and squashed and distorted to fill a normal TV aspect? You don't gain image this way, you lose plenty.

Buy a bigger TV. They're much cheaper in the US than here!:) 

I have to agree with the OP. Further viewing of the film has not improved on it's many weaknesses, in fact they seem to double with every viewing.

Initially I enjoyed all the 'Sam's new car' stuff as it seemed to showcase a lightness of touch I hadn't expected from Bay, but so much of the plotting and characters are so utterly redundant that I'm almost glad when the 'Bots make their only too brief appearances. I say almost glad because boy, whilst those suckers are lovely to look at, the cartoony nature the dialogue and action is nails-on-a-blackboard bad.

Michael bay gave the fans rather too much of what they wanted here - apart from the designs it's G1 cartoon-tastic. And I'm sorry folks, flame away, but the cartoon is shockingly bad. I wish they'd spent a bit more time looking at the 80's comic work by Furman et al and a little less time worrying over Welker and Cullen...

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i like it more every time i watch it.

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a very "be careful what you wish for" sort of situation. People spent more than a year whining about how important it is to cast Welker over Weaving, and then were stunned when the filmmakers focused more on the cartoon than the comics.

Shocking.

Ten bucks says we see no evidence of anyone having learned the lesson when the designs for part II start to leak.

14. Pikatron

After watching it again, I think the BB/Barricade chase scene should've been longer. Bay is definately capable (The Rock anyone?!). I wonder why they kept it sooo short? :( 

15. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

I didn't say anything about being dark, I just said to, y'know, try to actually have some kinda development.

16. DeathsHead

Absolutely.

Although I'm forever gobsmacked by how writers and directors of the larger franchises manage to ignore or 'miss' quality material that would make up the substance for some quite fantastic and public-friendly films.

Judge Dredd always springs to mind - fantastic characters, great stories, hundreds of possible plotlines to steal for a movie and then...nothing. It's a crapfest.

I have to admit though that I did whinge about the designs and *whispers*I still don't like them. Sssshhhh.:wink: 

17. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if i'm not mistaken theres more than one kind of "widescreen" format. sometimes the bars are alot thicker than usual

18. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's determined by how the film is shot to begin with, it isn't something that's altering the film after the fact for home video in the same way Pan & Scan does.

19. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    No, not really.. as of me, I like the DVD... since I can replay ...

overall.. but I tried to play slow motion on the first fight of Barricade and Bumblebee... those actions are CRAP... man... it is more evidence to show that Bay used up all the budget on blowing things up but hiring some middle school kids to produce the fighting scene in CGI.
    As of the transforming parts...those are just fasinating...

20. DeathsHead

Exact-amundo. Transformers was shot in the extreme-o wide 2.40:1 aspect (Often labeled on your DVD as 2.35:1 - Lord of The Rings, Star Wars) meaning the image is 2.4 times wide as it is high.

Your standard TV is at 4:3 meaning its almost as high as it is wide - so you can see how much distortion and cropping is needed to make such a narrow image fit it in a 'standard' DVD conversion (referred to as Pan & Scan).

The other common, and rather less 'letter-box' aspect is 16:9 (Aliens, most Spielberg movies.)

If you're a film nerd you can argue that there are slight deviations even in these aspects depending on what exact filmstock and lens types your using but essentially it's just these two. Oh, and 14:9 compromise for TV (a 'halfway-house' between 16:9 and 4:3 to appease viewers with old TVs!).

If your interested in this stuff you might want to look up '2.35:1 anamorphic vs 2.35:1 Super 35'. Sounds boring. Isn't.