Do you feel that Bay wanted the film to be longer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    With the events in the second half and the 2 1/2 hour mark approaching, I felt that the film gained momentum to get events over with. For example, Starscream's death and Megatron's re-appearance. Does anyone feel that the film just wanted to be longer but couldn't?

2. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    seeing how some complained the film was too long and hard to understand, sure.

3. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

I don't know Bay and what he thinks or feels, but either the movie could have been longer or could have been better written so it wouldn't need to be longer.

4. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

No. As others have said, if you're film is 2 and half hours and still comes off as rushed, then you really need to work on what and what not to cut.

Did we need 5 minutes of Sam's mother giving him a love lecture? Did we need 15 minutes of Sam and co running around the sky scraper being terrorised by the Driller? No. Cut them and you've got 20 more minutes to show meaningful stuff.

5. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

I think the length of the movie was fine and I thought it was the most well written movie of the trilogy. Written way better than Revenge of the Fallen was by light-years.

I love Transformers but i just can't sit in a movie seat for 3 hours. I need to move at least once every 2 hours or I would go insane. That and coming up with a story that would last that long would be very taxing endeavor for the writers. To keep the audience's attention for that long without confusing the crap out of them is very hard.

6. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitly. The way it ended so suddenly was a little cheap but I guess thats like saying oh well thats all for now folks well be back with TF4 in a few years.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I would have. :) 

8. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Erm yes. This is what we classify as character development. What you're basically saying is that let's cut out the human characters so we can have more robot action.

Did it occur to you that a lot of what was in the film was needed and by cutting some things out it would cause the story to feel somewhat "uneven"? The whole story of Sam was that he wanted purpose and he ultimately had to chose between Carly and the Autobots and you want to cut out the key moment where Sam realises that feeling needed isn't what will make him the happiest?

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It didnt mean that at all :banghead: 

I`m sick of people trying to justify pointless scenes. Especially with Sam`s parents (Who we never see again after the comedy scene)

Here`s the list of what could be cut out completely without any problems to the script;

Sam`s parents - Maybe the first scene with them is ok, but later on it ruins the action feel of things.

The Skyscrapper scene - lets be honest. Half of it was boring and pointless until the driller arrived, and then it died instantly.

The Crane scene - Optimus getting caught in wires? The wreckers appearing to get him down. All this was pointless and only added because Optimus is too overpowered and would defeat all the Decepticons instantly if he were free.

The Sky diving scene - I`ll be honest, i loved the CGI in this. But it was utterly pointless. Later its shown that half the N.E.S.T team went in through the river. This entire scene could be cut and have them just walk into the city unnoticed, in all the chaos the Decepticons wouldnt care about a few humans when Autobots are in the city.

The "Hardcore Eddie" charecter - Again, lets be honest he was just comedy relief, and a bad comedy relief at that. His involvement in the final fight stopped the action feeling.

The "Deep Wang" stalking scenes - The scenes with Jerry randomly stalking Sam, or acting weird around him. If he`s going to give him the information just do it, not draw attention to himself :peoples: 

The Command ship scenes - Although it was nice seeing a giant Decepticon ship. It was pretty stupid and just seemed to be added to make Wheelie and Brains seem important. Although it comes into play again at the Execution scene it could have been removed.

Shockwave - most fans will agree he wasnt given justice. He could have been removed completely and just be replaced with Megatron or someone else

And in answer to your question - Bay always rushes the ending`s because he doesnt know how to make a good final battle. Steven spielberg was the reason the first film had a long fight scene. Bay was the one who ruined the endings for ROTF (And all of ROTF TBH) and DOTM

10. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    ROTF took days to make because of the writers strike

11. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    This.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think it needed to be longer, but I wish they would have went with the ending the way the original draft and the novelization went. To me, that would have been a lot more satisfying instead of the 10-second fight to the death between two guys who've been rivals for millions of years. At least in the other two, when Prime fought Megatron, they were good fights

13. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I don't think any of the movies needed to be longer. They just needed better editing. Trim stuff out, paste together as needed.

14. sideswipe88

sideswipe88 Stig's Asian Cousin

News Credits:
    I think megatron and shockwaves deaths were rushed IMO

15. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, it feels that he decided at once to reveal all the trumps!

16. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Transformers films would work better at 90 to 120 mins. 2 and half hours of almost constant action is just too bloated and unnecessary. A lot of audiences actually get bored even with intense action on the screen if you keep going for too long.

This is one the major faults of the movies, so no, making it longer would not be the best idea.

17. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    First of all, fix your grammar, and learn to use the normal apostrophe, '

Anyway, I agree with you on the parents thing, they're just comic relief characters that aren't very good at all.

Skyscraper scene - It was for drama, and to show what's going on with Sam and friends, although they had too much of him throughout the movie. They never seemed to had an emotional scene with the robots at all, not counting the glint of it when Carly told Megatron that Sentinel was taking over, although Carly was involved. But anyway, it was for drama, as said, but it should have been shortened by three or four minutes, and Driller's quick death was to show how incredibly powerful Optimus is with his flight tech.

Crane scene - That scene was okay, but I never got why Prime can't activate his blade in "super" mode.

Skydiving scene - To me, that was a bit boring, and I wouldn't mind it being cut.

Hardcore Eddie - He was one of the only funny characters. "I don't care if the building collapses, I'm having a heart attack anyway."

Wang - Yes, they should have just cut to the chase.

The command ship scenes were for comedy and to show that Wheelie and Brains were capable of something, that they're not useless. Also, as for just the ships attacking, it's to engulf the audience with fear and proof of the deadliness and power of the Decepticon army.

Shockwave - Sure, he wasn't given justice, but in my opinion it was only via the shortage of screentime. Megatron probably had brain damage, and was too busy feeling bad about not being in charge anymore to fight.

18. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

I feel many things: happiness, sadness, anger, giddiness, humility. But I am wholly unfamiliar with the feeling called "Bay wanted the film to be longer". That's a new one to me.

19. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well bay said he wanted to make the final battle of ROTF Longer and more brutal , but there was not enough time to film the battle as he wanted it to be

20. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    I actually haven't thought of it until now... Anyway, my friend is not a TF fan, and was never interested in it. In my attempts to convert him into the awesome side, I finally convinced him to go to the premiere of DOTM, maybe when he sees how many people are there, he'll start rethinking. We sat in the full theatre, and after 2 1/2 hours of baygasms for my eyes, we went out of the cinema. I asked him what he thinks, HOPING to get a positive reaction and a nnew TF fan friend, but all he did was thank me for taking him to the most rushed and boring movie of the year... That MOFO made me realise, it WAS a little rushed at parts...