do you fear the movie will be politicized?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SKowl, Jun 16, 2006.

1. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Okay, without starting a huge debate on politics and what not, I need to know if any other Transfans out there are afraid that Bay and the others will try to put subtle (or even not-so-subtle) political 'propaganda' into the film? I know the military is heavily involved, and I'm just scared the movie turns out to be one big commercial for the Armed Forces.

As for the current war in the Middle East (it's a big issue, it'll be tough to avoid) I'm afraid itll be a subtle undertone of the film. I feel that (and I hope many others do) no matter what someone's position on the war is, I want to be able to go see 'Transformers' and enjoy it as much as anyone, regardless of them being a liberal, conservative, democrat, republican etc. I don't want the film to be ruined with political undertones, wether I agree with them or not.

I haven't seen many of Bay's films, but some tell me he has a habit of not making a secret of his political beliefs... so again, without starting a thread that'll end up being locked, can you guys give me your input and tell me if my fears are justified?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Eh. It's a Bay film. There will be jingoism in it no matter what.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I can't see how Alien Robots = Terrorism or what not?

Mebbe I'm just blissfully naieve.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I can sorta see it. Most Bay films are pretty filled with underlying messages of patriotism most of the time anyway, even if it's not an essential part of the plot.

I figure that Bay knows who is audience is and what sells - and one of the selling points for his films has always been the United States badass cops/military/etc. kicking the crap out of (insert villain here).

5. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I hope that politics stays out of this film also. I don’t see it happening though. The army is pulling out every trick in the book to boost recruitment that has declined in recent years. I’m sure we’ve all seen the ubiquitous ads on TV. They also have video games out and have created a law that allows recruiters access to college students if the college receives federal money. I’m sure they’ll have some sort of recruiting tool in the movie in return for their being in the movie. I hope that it doesn’t happen at all, and like you said is kept a TF film that any Republican, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal, or anyone in between can enjoy.

Oddly enough, don’t you think its odd that one of the fight scenes is specifically done in the middle east? Out of ALL the multitude of options for scenery (jungle, arctic, forest, grasslands, <insert nature scener here> and all the multitude of options in terms of country/region (India, China, Africa, South America, Europe, etc) that were available to them, that they ended up choosing the middle east. I think that’s a poor option and already has tied this film (small or large) to politics.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Personally, I'm going to bite my lip. Your post steers awfully close to the political touchiness that gets a lot of threads locked.

EDIT: Although I am glad they didn't decide to film in Carbombia.

7. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Objectivity in film is a myth; it will always be created by people with opinions and ideals. But I’m prepared for what’s coming….. I think. :drunk 

8. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I think people who go into the movie seeking a message will somehow find it, regardless of directorial intent.

The point of the movie is to make high-tech stuff look cool and exciting. Some of that high-tech stuff will be military technology, by virtue of the fact that the military typically gets the most cutting-edge equipment.

So far though, the only vehicles featured that are in use by the Armed Forces have turned out to be Decepticon, which kind of makes it hard to glamorize the military and/or the administration commanding it.

My vote goes to no politicization of the film's story. The content (alien races vying for an ancient artifact and/or resources) isn't exactly a story you can draw parallels to with current affairs, without coming off as cheesy or preachy. Films I've seen by Michael Bay tend not to cross the cheesy/preachy line, and I think that the media in general is starting to shy away from content that, according to most polls, would alienate 50% of their potential audience.

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Megatron will look like a robot Osama, and in the final fight Optimus will strap a giant USA flag onto his back like a cape and punch Megatron while screaming out "FREEDOM ROCKS!"

Well, it might not be that obvious. We'll see.

10. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I have a very bad feeling micheal bay is going to concentrate to much on the US military fighting the transformers, rather than the autobots fighting the decepticons.

i would hate it if the autobots only fought the decepticons at the end of the film, or if the humans managed to defeat Megatron and his men while the autobots got absolutly trounced that would really aggravate me!!

11. SAJse

SAJse Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the flag waving was kept to a dull roar but I'm probably deluding myself.

Perhaps George Carlin could oversee the edit or something.

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Wait wait wait...

You guys want to make sure HOLLYWOOD doesn't make a movie too patriotic?

HOLLYWOOD?

My head hurts figuring out that one.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'll wait and see on this one. I don't think we need worry that it will become a "political thriller", but on the other hand a corrupt politician who wants to make a deal with the Decepticons would be cool in a Sean Berger kind of way (Megatron's Master Plan)

14. Party_Prime

Party_Prime Beer Me!

Ebay:
    Afterwards George H.W. Bush will step out of Optimus to reveal that he defeated Megatron and declare "Mission Accomplished!" while the sequel is already in the works. ha.

15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Heh. You just described the movie that I'm expecting out of Bay. I'm sort of anticipating the worst, with 60% of the movie just being John Voight pointing at maps and giving speeches, a la Billy Bob Thornton (Armageddon) and Michael Biehn (The Rock).

Feel free to delete this post if it gets political, but that is not my intent.

Bay's films don't really have any political agenda, but they're very patriotic.

I am pretty certain there'll be at LEAST one scene where Sam/Spike, Jon Voight, Random Extra, etc, wave a flag in slow-motion while waving their other fist in the air and screaming "MEGATRONNNNNNNNNNNN!" as his scream is inter-edited with bombs exploding in slow motion, all set to somber string-section music with a driving percussive force.

That being said, rumors say that Scorponok (?) is going to be attacking some troops in the Middle East, so who knows. Maybe it'll be HEAVILY political, for all we know. Shrug.

Someone pointed out that people will find a political message in any movie if they're looking for one, and I think this is absolutely true. It's kind of like a religious message, I guess. Some people see what they want to see.

In my opinion, the movie should've been set in Carbombia or something. And, again, we can't forget the slow-motion flag-waving set to a slow-motion "MEGATRONNNNNN!" scream.

16. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is going to be like anything else in life, people are gonna take out of this movie what they want. If some one watches and thinks the military being involved is akin to a recruitment drive, good luck convincing them otherwise.

It's like that line in SW episode 3 that so many people thought was a dig on Bush. We all see what we want to see and disreguard the rest.

17. autobotcorgi

autobotcorgi Roads optional

Ebay:
    The politics are dancing already...bumblebee is not a volkswagon bettle but a camero!? :( 

18. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is one thing I'm really not worried about. If there's anything in it, I doubt it'll be terribly in-your-face. I'm far more concerned about it focusing on a human love story, like Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, etc.

19. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Actually, there's another reason for that - VW has, so far, stated various reasons that they don't want to be involved with the Transformers franchise. The largest and most resounding reason is that they don't want their company to be affiliated with weapons or fighting (think post-World War 2 stigma)

20. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

This is a Micheal Bay film, being released on the 4TH OF JULY, with heavy involvement from the military.

What do you think?

This movie will be a slow-mo, flag waving crapfest. I've said it in the past and I'll say it again and like some else described above, the "emotional" music, the slo-mo, the arm waving, the map pointing, will be present, with the end sticking point that humans, and the American military can defeat ANYTHING.

I love living here as much as the next guy, but some things are just too much to stomach.

At least give me Cullen as Prime, and I'll be happy. =P

Murphy/Bay were the worst team to put together for this film, but hey, at least they're doing us a favor by even giving us a Transformers movie, right?