Do you ever mix CHUGs in with Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hail Galvatron, Jan 2, 2018.

1. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. CyberRat

CyberRat Well-Known Member

I actually like mixing legends Insecticons with MPs because I feel like robot bugs should be really small :)  Although I do have the Fanstoys versions too. Part of my army building.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

I principally collect MP and, more recently, Iron Factory's legends-scaled figures. I don't really collect CHUG per se, but on the rare occasion when TT makes something that doesn't have an MP analogue and seems of sufficient quality, I include it in the collection. They always stick out a bit for me though due to the different materials used as well as the aesthetic, the big gaps in most CHUG figures are a real turn off for me (not knocking it exactly, I know it's a cost saving measure for something that is, after all, a mass-market toy, not a "collectible").

I do include a few 3P figures that are CHUG scale though IMO more in tune with MP aesthetics, though at this point the only thing like that I really have on display are my MMC Feralcons and UT Terrorcons. To me those figures are really only CHUG in terms of scale; in terms of build quality and overall aesthetic they're MP for me or close enough. My definition of MP is not limited to figures that are "cartoon accurate;" if a figure has build quality comparable to an MP and strongly recalls the G1 character, even if it's a bit stylized, I've got no problem putting it with my MP's, so long as the scale is close enough to not be too weird. The old combiners are a bit out of scale now when in gestalt mode but I feel that the robot and alt modes scale pretty well. Still, I'd be over the moon if someone like FT did a proper set of Feralcons.

4. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    There is museum putty under their feet and fishing line around each big guy's waist securing him to the wall. If you look carefully at the picture with both combines, you can see and eye bolt in the wall just to the left of Warbotron.

5. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

I like deluxe size chugs as minibots in a lot of cases. Hasbro Warpath is pretty much perfect, and I was using Generations Bumblebee for a while till I got a cheap MP.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I feel some fans are a little too picky/OCD about this. I try not to mix them too much, but there's definitely some mixing. Some out of necessity, some just fit.I'm switching my collection over to MP a bit at a time from a pretty big Chug collection.

My 84/85 Autobots have the leader class Generations Jetfire until I get Phoenix. That figure is good enough for size and character likeness until I've gotten other purchases out of the way. Anything Voyager-to-Leader sized can look appropriate in a MP-ish display. I'm using Voyager Grapple and Inferno for now, who look decent enough and are similarly sized to the other 84/85 mp cars. Im sticking to legends for the minibots, as many are pretty good and I think a minibot should legitimately be a small TF (that can be used on a citybot - SOMETHING has to be small enough for a citybot). Out of those legends: Beachcomber, windcharger, and a few others nail the character look as much as any MP, whereas there could be a better Pipes/Huffer, Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, etc... Alternators Skids until one is actually made.

84/85 Decepticons - The triple changers are still Titans Return. They're voyager sized and close enough until other purchases can be done first. Plus, I might stick with Hasbro for Octane, as I think Provider is around the same size. Im sticking with my 3P Fansproject Deluxe Insecticons, as nobody else is making them, and the MMC Malum Militia I have on order isn't too much taller. Keeping the legends class Hasbro insecticons in insect mode as part of their swarm. The rest are MP or 3P (Seekers, Soundwave, Megatron, Insecticons, Tapes, Shockwave).

Citybots: Hasbro Trypticon, Metroplex, and Fortress Maximus are pretty much as good as we're going to get for big citybots. My Omega Supreme is the 3P Terminus Giganticus.

Dinobots: MPs in robot mode with chug 3p figures in dino mode to achieve a 2 mode display.

Combiners: Voyager-centric combiners are MP scale, to me. The combiner limbs were always similar in size (if not a little smaller) than the deluxe cars. I have voyager-sized limb combiners for everyone but Defensor and Victorion (Liokaiser, Piranacon, Predaking, Abominus, Bruticus, Menasor, Superion, Computron). I'm using Hasbro Devastator (who was advertised with MP figures by Takara) until the oversized 2ft tall version of Gravity Builder comes out (can't stand Toyworld's Dev's looks).

My late G1 is pretty much all CHUG stuff, at the moment, except for Blaster (3P transistor). I want to do Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, and the core 1986 TFTM cast before doing anything else in that generation. Might keep the targetmasters / Headmaster JR guys at the deluxe scale just because nobody is really focusing on them in the MP world.

and so on....... already went on too much

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zawicki

Zawicki Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight

News Credits:
    I wish I could honestly. My collection is extremely particular. I have an MP shelf, a 3rd party CHUG shelf, a Hasbro CHUG shelf, a combiner shelf, a movie shelf, a Gundam shelf (which needs to be two shelves), and most importantly I have a problem.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    Yeah, no room for more shelves

• Like Like x 4
  9. MIDIcons

MIDIcons Evil Robits

Instagram:
    Mixing chug with MP smh
    What's next keeping chug in a Detolf lol

10. CigarJackal

Ebay:
    Buying a Deltof to put my CHUGS into. Just need to clear the space for it.

My MPs go on the main display shelves that I installed in my game room. CHUGS will be relegated off to the side in the Deltoffs

11. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

Yeah, mp bumblebee, grimlock, soundwave and hot rod fit right in with my chug collection.

12. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

News Credits:
    I have a limited number of chugs in my MP display. Mainly of ones than don't have a MP rep yet.
    Arcee & Wingblade, CW Devy, Quintesson Judge and Sharkticons.
    Don't think I'm ever replacing Devy, but the rest I hope to some day.

13. Metallikatron

Metallikatron Well-Known Member

Well, CW Devy blends well with my masterpiece S1 Decepticons. Titans Return Fort Max somehow also works in my mind’s eye with all scales! Legends, chug, MP-style figures... even world’s smallest transformers. It depends on how you wake up and want Max to scale to the others. Dammit!!! Bring on that darned Titan Scorponok!

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

TF ONE SIXTH

He has Crash Hog for $89.99. Hit up his FB page. That’s where I saw the post.

6B974651-3D05-4E33-BC26-5C152A6C6397.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I didn't know there was a KO version, I'll have to look into that...

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I stopped buying chugs shortly after the MP reboot with a few acceptions . Chugs that I still display with my MPs and don't mind are as follows :
    Blaster
    Warpath
    Insectacons in bug mode
    CW Devastator
    I know that there are good 3rd party options for these but I'm content to hold out for officials or better 3rd party versions if I'm to part with money I don't have to spare especially because I'm pretty content with these stand ins.

17. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

I mix my little cheap KO $9.99 Quints in with my MP because then they're properly scaled.

18. kjata

kjata Well-Known Member

I do, and probably would if I had more. I've been using CW Megatron as a standalone pseudo-MP, and I've gone with the toyline update concept by putting MP Primal in with my CHUGs. MP Star Saber actually fits better in CHUG, since he's supposed to be about combiner height normally.

19. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The streams have been crossed.

I actually only have one MP Decepticon, MP Nemesis Convoy. 3rd party I have the TFM Stunticons, DNA Bludgeon, and BF Megatron.
    The rest are Chug. Which I'm fine with.
    Not a big fan of the MP goofy cartoon villain look.

Autobots, I have many more MPs, as I'm a big fan of carbots. There are some chug figures sprinkled throughout.

IMG_20150823_201441376.jpg IMG_20161210_224803240.jpg IMG_20161214_222822.jpg IMG_20161231_160321.jpg IMG_20170409_193812.jpg IMG_20171013_202510.jpg IMG_20170717_210202.jpg IMG_20170722_124043.jpg IMG_20170717_204936.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Yeah, sure, a few.

Thrilling 30 Generations Brainstorm works great with my MPs. He's bigger than a carbot, but smaller than Optimus, closer to HotRod, which may be 'incorrect' but it's just what I want. Its look is clean and blocky and matches up nicely.

Classics Bumblebee is my Bee, nice I put the Growing Pains kit on it, so he looks closer to Goldbug. He's the same size as MP Bee but I like him better. I sold off MP Bee.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2