Do you ever justify or defend a bad mold you brought?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Jan 14, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I was just thinking, that very few people would ever admit, especially if it is an expensive transformer purchase, that it is a bad mold. (There are some, but just not the majority). People tend to get defensive about their purchase (in this case, transformers), where even though they spent a lot on a transformer that was just not well designed, or had tons of QC issues, they still defend it.

I suppose the reasoning is to justify that they did make a "correct" choice, and their judgement isn't wrong, etc.

I can think of a few purchases like that, where I brought a transformer that is hyped, but then didn't turn out as hot as the price tag warrants it. (ofcourse there are those that did)

So Just want to ask if you had a simliar experience.

When I was collecting backwards I brought quite a few energon and armada bots that, looking back was like, why did I try to justify this purchase again...?

2. ligergalvatron

ligergalvatron Banned

I justified the black repaints of Rodimus by telling myself they are like Noir Rodimus. To me they do not make sense as SG or Wildrider, so they are like Hearts of Steel black and white movie era Rodimus.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Beast Wars Injector, Cybertron Backstop, and a few others I've bought because they're so terrible, that it amuses me.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

"At least it could be good for parts."?

5. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Nah. If the toy sucks I admit it and typically sell it. I was psyched beyond words for Animated Wingblade Prime, but once I got him in hand I was just disgusted that I had spent money on such it. I found it to be a piece of junk. Even with all these reviews out there, some toys you won't know if you like it or not until you have it in your hands.

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Yeah my justification was completion. BUt after a good long look at TFTM Camshaft i realized being a completeionist is not all its cracked up to be.

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I will never defend the ROTF Blazemaster mold.I only got it because it was so cheap,and yet I still regret it.Huge piece of crap.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yeah... I had some purchase that I don't know why I made, like Powerglide, I brought him, I read all the reviews and did my homework before I brought him too, but he was still underwhelming

9. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No however often people absoloutley rip the shit out of good molds cos they dont wanna buy it or feel ripped of but actually the mold isnt half as bad as they say so often i feel i have to defend it a little extra to make up for all the negativity (Universe tankor, classics astrotain, universe galvaton, classics gimlock etc)

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've bought a few bad molds here and there, but usually I know it sucks beforehand and the reason I bought it was because of one of the good points (I.E. Duocons, if you're going to have a baseline of what defines "POS" transformer, you can't go lower than these two).

The one exception would be ROTF Mindwipe. Such a disapointment in what could have been an awesome mold. I mean, he's decent enough to keep around, but certainly one of the worst in my collection.

11. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    Oh yes, there are molds out there that I've bought either for rarity sake, or someone told me its a really cool toy, or the pics make it look good. I've used all those justifications to defend a purchase, or in some cases, condemn them.

I've even fallen for "on the box" pictures making it look really cool. Best example of that for me is the Crossover spiderman, Ironman combiner. The box pics make it look really cool. Turned out to be a Jet humping a helicopter with legs.....I promptly brought it back.

Right now I find myself defending Xovergen's Rolling Thunder Prime. Some people are screaming it sucks, I find myself endeared to it. Mostly because I'm a customizer in my own right, and can see "simple" fixes. I'm not trying to hold on to it because of the price, but because I like the mold, and the idea. Some folks you just can't please, and others look past flaws and just appreciate for what it is.

I'm notorious for liking goofy molds to begin with anyways, and wanting to toss out what many think is a great mold/toy etc. One mold I absolutely hate, I have it somewhere in storage, and I swear when I find it, I want to throw it against the wall, and that's Classics/Universe Onslaught.

While the toy design is actually pretty cool, the sheer size of the toy just pisses me off for some reason. For me, its his alt mode....it just looks so ugly, and so out of proportion, I just want to scream and do many unethical things to it.....

and then, like Kusanagi said up there "At least it could be good for parts.", I've done that too.......

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Universe Galvatron. Not because he's any good, but because he's Galvatron. Same is true for Powerglide actually. I traded Octane because not only was he not any good, he wasn't Octane to me in robot mode.

Point is, sometimes a figure is worth defending, even if it has comparatively lackluster engineering, because it has the right intangible qualities.

13. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i love universe octane that melee comb is just one awesome weapon he even has the black chest octane had in the cartoon that was never on the toys and i just think those wings with propellers that extend from his back looks sso steampunky awesome in robot mode not to mention his gundam-esque aesthetic and the fact he is packing twin pistols.

At the end of the day there is no accounting for taste beuty is in the eyes of the beholder and we all want something diffrent in our toys

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I bought ROTF Arcee and Chromia becuase i thought the combination would be decent.

I was wrong. :( 

15. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Blazemaster was free. Legends Ratchet was cheap.

16. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I justify buying the ROTF Ultimate Bumblebee even though I own the one from the first movie. I figure he was on clearance and was the only thing I didn't own in the movie line at the time.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. If it was a bad mold and I was dumb enough to buy it, especially with all the reviews and information out there about the various toys, I'll be on here to rip on it too.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More power to you man! I hope the guy I traded it to loves it. But at the end of the day...he has a comb, as you put it. Even if they'd nailed the head sculpt I wouldn't have been able to part with it (remember how I like Galvatron?).

I do love propeller plane TFs though. Just got Highbrow. Someone should customize him into Jetfire, who I just read takes a P-38 altmode in one of the comics.

19. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to try and get rid of any "Bad" molds that I end up getting, however, to name a few examples

ROTF Armorhide- Got him for 2 bucks and he works well as a Guzzle on my shelf.

Animated Megs (Voyager)- I actually like this mold a lot, for the fact that he looks really good in robot mode and his vehicle is no worse than the deluxe (which I'm also partial to), but he is bad in that traditional, you need a huge imagination to enjoy the figure. To justify it, I spent probably no more than 4 bucks on him in a large 20 dollar lot that included a mostly complete RiD Landfill.

HA Barricade- Not a bad mold, I was just disappointed and ended up liking HA Sideswipe more. My justification for him is HA Mold completion, and he looks really imposing despite his stunted articulation.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay: