do you ever just get tired of it all?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, May 29, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi guys. I know I'm not the first to do one of these threads. I've just been doing too much thinking lately. Do you ever look at your toy collection and wonder why you keep doing it? I think a part of me just does it out of habit. I don't really enjoy the newer TFs like I did/do the older stuff. I'm just curious if it's just me or if others feel the same way. Thanks for you replies.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I'm with ya as far as the main line stuff goes. I just kinda buy it as long as I think the figure looks pretty cool. but they don't get me excited that much. binaltechs did that for me, but with them virtually done, I'm hurting for that old-fashioned excitement.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I totally agree. I've really enjoyed collecting but I think of all the money I could save and get a little frustrated with myself. I love the Cybertron line and used to love Alternators before it went downhill but I've still felt a little burnt out with everything. Though the Classics line has me totally excited about that line...I'm almost positive as soon as it's released it's the only line I'll be collecting.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here! Up to now, I'm still having trouble controlling my habit...currently I'm just sticking to G1 homages as much as I can.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I go through phases like that, but I always gravitate back to it...Sometimes I get extreme and just start buying everything, but as long as I try to keep things reasonably under control then I can stay generally happy. Sometimes I start branching out into too many other things. Right now its just PRIMARILY TFs/Battle Beasts.

And after noticing how many times I have left it all (ie. stop buying toys, stop going to toy related sites/message boards, stop looking at toyfare) I ALWAYS come back...I have come to the realization that I shouldn't keep trying to avoid who I am (or what I love) but simply to do it with a sound mind...So far after being back "in the game" this time around, I am much happier.

6. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    About three months ago, I sat in my office, glancing my collection over and realizing quickly figures just weren't cutting it anymore. I never got that thrill anymore if I found anything new. That's when I started to collect non-toy tf merchandise, AKA oddities. And I got that thrill once more. Sure, it's not figures, but everytime I found an item that I didn't even knew existed gets me hyped up too look for more and more. Who needs figures anyway. :wink: 

7. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Yeah, I've narrowed it down to only getting decepticon alternators. I have enough autobots (got the characters i wanted) so now I'm just waiting to see what masterpeice/alternator decepticons are going to come out.

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I do feel pretty beaten down by everything. Not in the sense that any of it was bad, just that as a fan for 20 years there's been an incredible amount to absorb. That's why I don't keep collections anymore. I sell anything I have that doesn't remain interesting.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I've been bored w/ TF mainlines for years since the Beast Wars ended. I guess I've collected out of habit, trying to recapture interest I had in G1 by collecting reissues and TFs from the new lines that I like.

However, I suspect that Classics is going to reinvigorate the fandom to new heights. I know I'm more excited for this line than Alts when they came out.

10. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I get like that all the time, but I know myself well enough to know that it'll pass eventually. And I've burned myself before in the past by not keeping up with collecting something I got a little tired of and then really wanting some of the stuff I passed up later. I suppose what I'm saying is that although I get tired from time to time, it doesn't stop me from buying stuff that I feel that I want. Lack of money, however, does stop me from buying everything I want :D  .

11. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I've just got SOO much stuff. It's to the point that it's overwhelming. I'm tired of trimming it down, and moving it, and storing it, and so on. I'm to the point that I only buy what I want, which is new Alternator molds, and the G1 stuff I'm missing. I'm not even sure that I want the Classics stuff. I'm slowly giving my collection past RiD to my sons. It's just not the same, the thrill of the hunt is gone. Damn ebay.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't yet. I realize I have too much stuff, and some stuff I don't like that much, but never the full out stepping back. Kinda wish I did though, my bank account could recover a bit then.

There's a good way to save money. $20 every 18 months at this rate.

13. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    well with me I don't just collect TF's....so when I start feeling my interest in TFs wane I can usually switch over to Macross, Soul of Chogokin, Microman, or something else for a while until I fall behind on TFs far enough to have fun catching up :)  ...seems to work so far...

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kinda thin kthat once in a while.. Then i get distracted by a new toy and buy it..

15. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I know exactly what you mean, NotFastEnuff. I've been struggling for the last year or so, trying to justify collecting. I look at all my shelves, with all the toys on them, and wonder, "what am I going to do with it all?". I don't really 'play' with them, and I'm not into posing them. And lately, just finding them in the store, I don't have the "surge" of excitement anymore. More a feeling of "ok, i'm one closer to being caught up". My Armada, BM, BW and Energon toys are all in totes, in a closet. I put a shelving unit and all my Cybertron toys in my son's room(he plays with them on a daily basis). I recently sold a bunch of items, and purchased an Xbox 360 with the proceeds(and i'm loving every minute of it!). I'm actually selling a bunch more items, so I can upgrade my TV to a HDTV. I also gave my entire star wars collection (every figure/vehicle/playset released from 1995 to present) to my daughters(they love star wars).

Probably the only things I think i'll still buy, are the SWTFs, alts, and probably whatever current line that's on the shelves for my son, assuming I can find the stuff. I'm tired of the hunt, so if I can't find something locally, I probably won't end up getting it.

16. Acadian Prime

Acadian Prime Well-Known Member

There have been a few TF purchases I've made in the past that I regretted later on. I've trimmed down my collection to only G1 minus a few exceptions (I mean, c'mon you gotta have Armada Unicron). I think it was the hunt for a certain Autobot or Decepticon that was more enjoyable than actually bying it. I know how much money I spent on this hobby the past 8 years and really I could have spent it on worst things than toys. It's a safe hobby as long as you're in control. Though I have to say that I may have made my last G1 purchase a week ago, so my G1 collecting days may be over.

17. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

I still find the odd mass-market toy here and there that gives me the ol' Toy Jones tingle, but am by no means a completist these days. As time goes on, it's increasingly only the truly outstanding and/or collector-geared merchandise that does it for me, and even most of that falls flat.

The Alternators line is like a dream come true - They trickle out slowly, one or two at a time, don't drain the wallet, and encapsulate everything I love about Transformers. I purchased maybe three Armada toys, one or two Energon, and thus far, exactly one Cybertron (because he's Soundwave. Because you have to). Conversely, I've got every Alt that's been released to date, with the exceptions of Rollbar and Ricochet, who just strike me as silly and redundant.

These days, it's upper-echelon stuff like MP Starscream, the Yamato VF0S, PG Gundam kits, and Aoshima's T2 Endoskeleton that grab my interest enough to crack out the billfold - And toys of that caliber are few and far between.

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I haven't bought any Cybertron or Alternator for few months so there are few TFs I'll definitely get when I go back to the states like Cyb Soundwave and Dark LeoBreaker but I've avoided getting anything too expensive or uninteresting like Energon autobots I used to get. My collection has gravitated toward action figures like Marvel Legends and Sota Street Fighters. I found hunting them to be more exciting than TFs nowadays. Don't get me wrong TF still occupy most of my space and I can't wait for Classics and MP Starscream to come out but when you got many TFs on the shelves it does lose some of its appeal. I've stopped collecting the more expensive G1 TFs and will cut back on my spending except for the most interesting one. Let's hope movie toys will generate the same type of buzz as classics do.

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I honestly have never gotten "tired of it all", except for maybe a few brief moments when I'm really T-ed off at not finding anything new in a while, but that passes quickly.

So... I guess that means I'll be collecting for a loooong time to come, then...

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. The more the merrier!