Do you ever get fed up with your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dkr7, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Just wondering how many other collectors get fed up with their collections, lately i've been looking and mine and not really enjoying it, i mean i have a pretty sweet collection imo but i only seem to enjoy 3 figures (MP10, MP08 and United Jazz) the rest have become kinda meh to me. Not sure what' brought it on, probably that i'm trying to save money. I'm hoping MP11 will bring the love for my collection back, as missing my favorite character isn't good, but thats still 2 months off. I also don't "play" with my figures, i usually open them transform them, look at all the details and put them on display and rarely touch them after that, kinda makes me feel i'm wasting money.

Anyone else get fed up with their collections at times?

2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get what appeals to me when a line is running, but then after it's done I do a purge to keep only core figures that I love.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yes.

4. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Nope and there's a reason for that. I keep my collection small. I don't want to spend unbelievable amounts of money on my hobby. I'd rather be putting excess cash away for a house and a retirement fund. So I purposefully don't have a large collection. Because I keep it small, I find I enjoy it more because each figure is something I really like. There are a couple that I've thought of parting with to free up space, but I never get tired of my collection as a whole.

5. cuters

cuters Diabolist

i can,t say i get fed up with them but i must say once we get g1 classic,s trailbreaker hoist and blitzwing in deluxe class i,m done collecting tf,s with foc shockwave comming these 4 fig,s are all i want with the exception of a few 3rd party fig,s like not megatron he is a must have.

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Not for a good while. These days, i'm more likely to forget what i own, rediscover it while i'm looking for something else, go 'Cool' then forget about it again until next time.

7. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

The collection itself, no, but the amount of space it's beginning to consume, yes. Even though I'm far from a completist and only buy/trade for stuff I truly like, I've still managed to accumulate quite a bounty (at least imo) spread across various lines of interest to include G.I. Joe, Thundercats, and MOTUC in addition to TF. At any rate, I really haven't been in this "game" for all that long so we'll see how I feel as time progresses. For right now though, I still thoroughly enjoy my collection, space restrictions aside of course.

8. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. :) 

MIKE
    engledogg

9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    You have a collection for the same reason I do, visual only and no play time. Can't say I've got fed up tho and always get a high when ordering summat new (hurry up igear TC!!). TBH tho I'm glad my collection is small and has a defined end point and that end is in sight finally and when it does happen then I think it'll be a sense of satisfaction.

I gotta say tho....Herc meh? :eek: 

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Nope. It's got it's own room, reduced the collection down to around 1,000 figures and every time I look there is something new to see, a figure I haven't touched for a while or a boxed figure that needs to see the light of day for a few hours.
    There's always a repro label to add, a custom to finish or a third party toy to save for.
    Loving it at the moment.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with you 100%!! I've been feeling thee same about my collection lately. It's almost like a type of resentment honestly..

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I am getting there but it isn't a complete "fed up". I have about 1000 figures and it has gotten too big and I noticed that there is a lot of sections I pay no mind to. My current collecting habits is any show character that appeared on a North American aired show and inspired figures.
    G1
    BW
    BM
    RID
    Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron
    Alternators
    Alternity
    MP
    Classicverse
    6" tites
    Animated
    Prime
    3rd party
    Movie 1
    Movie 2.

I am looking to focus it down completely to North American Produced ANIMATED on screen characters.

The movies are going, I already know I want them gone. After that my Tites and RealGear are gone. Then I move in to AEC which I am still contemplating because they have some gems but those may all go too, and then there is RID.

Between 3rd party items and what Hasbro and Takara will be giving us I think sticking strictly to NA produced show characters will still leave me with a very large and every expanding collection AND it will be filled with figures and characters I am actually attached to.

13. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm starting to feel that way, especially with how much it was a pain to box up the majority of my collection in preparation for a move from Asia back to Stateside, and now I have them again it's equally a pain to unpack them all and set up my display again. But once I do have the figures in hand and seeing them in person, that feeling goes away and I'm immediately reminded why I don't just sell off my entire collection and be done with it. That and TFP toys, it's fun hunting for them (in moderation). XD

14. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Honestly, yes.

After nearly a decade of collecting, I've gotten tired of the hobby. The only Transformers toys that I even find interesting anymore are Beast Wars toys, but that's because they're from my childhood, and they fill me with nostalgia. The Transformers toys that aren't from Beast Wars (or aren't G2 or Micromasters), they look cool and are fun to play with at first, but then the spark just fizzles out. :( 

15. megatronski

megatronski Primaris

News Credits:
    The only thing i'm fed up with is the need of shelves to display more of my figures.

16. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    Herc is kinda meh to me, it's impressive looking but he's unstable and slightly energon styled imo. The reason i love MP10 and MP08 is that their almost perfect G1 models with great articulation, large size and solid/stable. The reason i love Jazz is he has such a clean and well engineered updated look whilst still being completely G1, he looks soooo cleaann!!!! I think United Jazz is my favorite figure i've ever owned. MP10 and MP8 close behind. I think MP11 may knock jazz into second, but for now Jazz is the best figure i own. I was never a big Jazz fan until i got this figure.

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    You need a G1 head on him, that's the first thing I'm gonna do when I finally get him.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Nah. If there ever came a day when I didn't look at my shelves favorably, I'd give up the game. Find something else that makes me happy.

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Sounds to me like OP is more fed up with "collecting" than he is with his collection.

It took me building and eliminating two huge collections(first scale aircraft models and then Gundam models) to realize that I get more pleasure from acquiring very few carefully selected pieces than I do filling shelves with what I now call "visual diarrhea". Right now I have 9 pieces on display. Each one means something to me and their aesthetic appeal comes through more clearly(imo) when they have space to stand on their own as opposed to just being another piece crammed on a shelf. I don't worry about completing lines or any of the other myriad collecting issues I see people struggle with daily on these forums(things like I have so-and-so, so I HAVE to get so-and-so). I shudder to think how much money it cost me to learn this lesson about myself, but I have found a place where I can enjoy fewer pieces for what they are individually without the need to be a "collector".

I'm not trying to say my style is better than anyone else, just sharing my experience in case it's of any help.

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

right now I'm sick of the Movie stuff (though Wreckage, Bludgeon, the Deluxe Starscream, Lockdown, Seaspray, Jazz) are somewhat still ok. I'm also thinking of purging some Energon Autobots (except for Prime, Towline, since right now he's Skids) as well as some movie stuff, and focus on Generations, remaing Beast Era figures I need, and some TF Prime