Do you ever feel that your collection...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Dec 27, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... was more meaningful when it was smaller?

I mean on one hand, when I only had a few of them (the ones from childhood + maybe the first couple I bought when the movies came out), they all had quite a lot of history behind them (be it on their own & as a whole), and mathematically speaking, they were more special to me than a larger percentage of figures (those being the ones I didn't own, or didn't care to own). This is probably what my dad was getting at when he brought up the subject a couple of weeks back (aka, when I came home with a bag of loot).

However at the same time, I also think there's another side to this story, one being that as I make an active effort to grow my collection & keep it relevant in my life, I'm also growing their sentimental value with them. Along with that, I still have my favorites like Scorch & Dinobot, and no amount of new additions will change that, even if a couple of newer ones like Dark Skyfire make their presence well known.

So in other words, how has your growth & progression in the fandom affected the sentimental worth of your collection?

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    With around 1500 - 2000 bots. I grew up with G1 and have been seriously collecting since 1999. Sure it has ups and downs but I love just staring at them. Some of the toys have a great story. Because it was either bought in a special part of my life, a gift, a grail, a joke... Anything. The hunt for me is half the collecting. I wouldn't want to go without it.

iDD

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

When I first got into collecting Transformers, I was kind of crazy. I didn't have a whole lot of financial responsibilities, so I went wild with the collecting. I had a notable collection that grew steadily since 2007, and it had no signs of stopping. The problem was, I bought toys I didn't really care about. I had Movie Evac, Movie Swindle, Wal-Mart Movie Jolt... I wasn't discerning.

When my fiancee and I got together, she looked at my collection, which was simply a mess, and said I needed to thin it out. At first, part of me was offended that someone would tell me my collection was too big. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I had a lot of characters I just didn't care about. So a mad selling spree on eBay later, and I had a smaller collection, but only of the toys I cared about.

My collection has grown since then, but none are ones bought 'just because'; either they were planned to be added since I first saw them in the news, they were ones I had thought long and hard about, or they were ones that appealed to us both at the same time, which got them a free pass into the shopping cart. And that's now how I treat collecting, which makes every piece in the collection that much more important.

4. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

My collection isn’t too unwieldy; nothing like the thousands some people reference. At first, I wanted a G1 collection of originals, reissues, and in some cases knock offs. Then I was introduced to Classics. Now my original collection is going to be sold.

The only ones I have that weren’t intended for my Classics line are MP Hot Rod, MP-10 Optimus Prime, and Classics-ish toys like Dinobot, Cheetor, G2 Ramjet, and G2 Optimus Prime.

But now that I have the majority of a G1 Classcis collection, I’m finding my sights have widened. Lockdown, thanks to IDW, is now a G1 character. 2010 Bracher, with a little bit of paint, can become a pretty good Micromaster Dropshot. I’m finding it harder and harder to draw the line.

5. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My collection has a lo of sentimental value to me, even as it has grown. Of course, I have many figures that I love to death and will never go. I also have very very few figures I'm not too happy with that maybe, someday, might go up for sale. However, the figures I dislike are few and far between, and of my collection of over 100 bots, there are easily 5 or less that I would get rid of. I've made sure every figure I purchase is a figure I want.

Even the few figures my ex bought me, though no longer hold a sentimental value because of who bought them, are very much so part of the gang and won't be leaving.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Not to take anything away from the other responses, but the parts about only getting what we really want has always played a big role for me, regardless of the volume, and I think it does a pretty good job in preserving the meaning. Like, if I suddenly came into a lot of money, I wouldn't make it a point to buy everything I could because for me, there wouldn't really be a point, and I'd still probably run after sales & things like I do now.

Also to Thalack's point, I don't think there's anything in my collection right now that I'd wanna sell (even the RTS Rodimus that came along with Cyclonus' ride), so in my mind, that makes them good purchases. If I ended up having to give him (or anyone else) up, I'd make it a point to buy them again, so there'd be little sense in trying to trim down my army.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    It was probably more meaningful because when it was smaller, it was only the 50-75 bots that I had growing up. I still have a busted up G1 Prowl that my dad stepped on cause it was one of my first Transformers. I would say that it has lost some of its luster because it has started to turn into a clusterf---- over the past couple years. I no longer have enough space to even display just my classics, and have slowly thinned out duplicates, impulse purchases, and MISB that I just don't need anymore.

I think another thing that has taken away from the meaningfulness is that everything I want is too expensive for me to justify right now. I have been trying to focus on MPs and Classics, and all the stuff I need are either repaints or Japanese/Botcon exclusives. Also trying to save up a little nestegg and pay off my student loans faster (I don't deal well with debt), as well as get more frugal and simplify my life. It probably will continue to be less meaningful till I have a decent amount of space to display items, which probably won't be for a couple years when I have can purchase a house. Then I may appreciate them more.

8. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

Yes. While I try to keep it simple, small and meaningful, there are a few 'just coz' in there. Some of those impulse buys I love being there, most have ended up in the kitbash box. I'll have no second thoughts when the dremel goes to them but there is a definite 'did I really need him' sensation. There's about 15 on my shelf and about 5 in the box.

I started off thinking 'I'm gonna get that tank one' (Ldr Brawl) and that was it. I've got everyone I want but him. Damn you Brawl...

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I've recently downsized my collection and I feel a little more proud of it now. I've weeded through and only kept my favorites and I like it.

What's funny is I've downsized by about half and since reorganizing my displays it all still takes up just as much room. Lol

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Yes and no. This is a discussion me and my best mates who also collect are having. One of my friends has about 150 toys, and his collection looks lovely and is very well spaced. The other friend has about 600 toys and not all of them are out, some are in boxes and the others are spaced well, some are more cramped and some are dusty where they've not been touched for about five years.
    The crunch for me came when I was moving house, and I managed to move everything practical in the first van load (clothes, furniture, shelving etc...), the second van load was all my Transformers. It felt like too many, it felt a stupid amount to be honest and I really thought I was going to have to massively downsize in order to get them all out.
    As it happens, my new room has just enough space to fit everything out and it not look too bad. Still rammed, because 1,500 toys will do that, but they're all out and I've only moved about 40 toys into the "sell at AA" box.

Most of my toys have emotional attachment of some kind and I have to really hate the toy to feel okay to get rid of it. My concession to myself is if it gets too big to fit new toys out, movie and Unicron trilogy are going to go.

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I was always a "quality over quantity" person, so naturally I'm keeping my collection small and meaningful.

With the recent releases and all that, what's displayed is the cast of autobots from ROTF, the five aces from Animated, some masterpieces and alternity and the shelf with the all time favourites [Depth Charge, some animated and henkei sunstreaker].

I still want to downsize my henkei, movie and generations collection. If you have a sea of toys it's much harder to separate favourites and identify loved ones, whilst if your shelves are well maintained and not clustered they stand out much more.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

My short answer would be no.

My lengthy, verbose response is that it was always more about the display than the number of figures. And my shelves right now far exceed what I imagined it to be when I first bought those 5 Classics figures. Or even how it was when it was taken into the Universe line, around the time I joined the board and got into this as a serious hobby. Or how at first I only picked up Henkei figures which I thought looked nicer than the Hasbro counterpart, then made the decision to go full-fledged Henkei.

I didn't think 5 years ago that I would've gotten this much into Transformers. I was always a fan, but couldn't find anything outside of G1 that I could dig. Nothing hit the note quite like the Classics line has, and I'm sure that goes for many others.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Man Collecting Cybertron/Classics stuff in 2005/2006 was wau fun then now.

However i am a slave to really anything that isn't the movie lines.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

Not for me. All the bots from my childhood are still there and stand out to me when looking over my collection. Only now I have a lot more bots to appreciate along with them.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like having less, I feel like I can enjoy it more.

16. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I feel the same way, cept my drug hit a year or so before classics, with the release of alternators. When I picked up my first alt silverstreak, I had no intent to have what I have now. I was content with just him. Then more started coming out that I liked as well, and it started snowballing from there.

I'm at the point now where I want to start concentrating on a nice display as well, and if that means storing some lines away in bins I might start doing just that. I just don't have the room to have all the stuff I want to display not look cramped, and with new things coming out that I want to be collecting as well (prime line), I think it's time for me to start putting some items away.

For me I think I will keep animated (compliments TFP nicely imo), alts and classics displayed. G1/reissues will go back in boxes and other stuff in bins. Might have a bit of room left to display a few random things here and there nicely, we'll see.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not really, i like having lots to pull down and fiddle with, but when i had a small collection, it just stayed on the shelves for months untouched

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    MISB fans turn away.

I understand this, now I finally have all my toys in one place I'm trying to get int he habit of pulling one or two down to play with every day, starting with a lot of the E-hobbys which I've never touched before.

19. saitoh155

saitoh155 Seeker

Now my collection is no where near as large as some peoples collections i have seen. I like being selective like many others on here have said. I buy the figures that appeal to me. There is one figure that was in my collection that does truly hold a sentimental place for me. Classics Dinobot. I know not the greatest figure in the world, but the reason it is such a special figure that i had at one time is because of where it went to. A really close friend of mine was being deployed to Iraq in the military and he is a HUGE Dinobot fan from Beast Wars. So I gave him mine along with a recording of the speech he gave when he died in the series. It was a bond that me and this friend of mine created through a little piece of plastic I had in my collection. Sorry for the long post but I felt this story was a good example of how just one part of a collection can mean so much more then dollar sign.

20. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. Before the ROTF era, collecting Transformers seemed more fun. Then again, I had a collection count of 20 at the time of the first movie and now look at my collection number!

I also prefer quality over quantity, like a previous user posted but at the same time, the newer figures I've bought have less...well, less fun value in mentality, nostalgia I believe, unlike my Unicron Trilogy, Classics 1.0, and Movie 1 figures.