do you convert your singles to tpb?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by shunquan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Just a qns to all readers out there, with the price increase to 2.99(yes i know, its been some time already) and event fatigue(blackest night for eg), I know I am switching to tpbs for the new stuff, like brightest day green lantern and green lantern corps.

Im also contemplating switching my fables singles to tpb, along with GM's run on Batman, etc, but its gonna be tough giving up the singles, Fables for certain, with all the neat covers, but it will sure save me a lot in the long run.

do any of you guys face this dilemma?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Certain I buy trades for, mostly Marvel books like their events, Iron Man, and probably Hulk.

I strictly buy Transformers and G.I.Joe in trade now. The Walking Dead too.

Green Lantern I collect both trades and singles.

So I guess that I like to mix it up, but I would definitely consider going full trade one of these days.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Been there, done that.

Breaking the collecting habit may seem hard, but trades are cheaper, more durable and considerably less hassle to store. Granted some stuff doesen't make it, but theres nothing stopping you from just picking those up in floppies (or in the near future, digital) and you might not even miss them once you get past the whole OCD buying thing.

Plus cheaper content means more money for other trades, theres tons of great comics out there that you've never read and its a good excuse to start looking at them without needing to drop anything.

4. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It depends. Comics like TF, GI Joe and others that I want to keep up to date on, I do comics, then bag and board with dividers for easy filing. For others that I can wait on and just read the story, like DC's 52, etc, then I wait for the TPBs.

5. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I only buy trades as they last a lot longer, usually have some extras (ie all covers and extra art) and it's cheaper than buying every single comic. Besides, I don't exactly have any comic stores in my town so it saves me on shipping too.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use to buy singles, but decided to stop and now only get trades.
    I find them far easier to store and cheaper.

Plus some stuff I'm reading I didn't pick up till it had run in so I missed earlier issues. TPB was a far easier way to catch up.

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I buy only in trades.
    The only single series I've bought is Last Stand of the Wreckers, because I want IDW to know how much support there is for that series

8. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

I wait for most trades to come out and skip the single issue unless its something i really need that moment.

9. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Trades may be cheaper, but sometimes they take ages to get releasesd (See: Blackest Night's TPB).

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I mostly buy trades, but when I'm hyped for a certain series or issue, I buy a single comic.

11. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I've never had this problem as I was a trade collector only. But with Blackest Night I started picking up singles. But they'll be converted.

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I buy singles as I don't like to be behind on the storylines. I'd rather collect trades but I'm impatient and find it hard sometimes to avoid spoilers.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Currently, no, but I do intend to convert some of my singles in the future when I have some extra money. I've cut back a lot on buying singles, to just the series that either I absolutely want to read as soon as they come out (Walking Dead) or series that take forever to come out in TPB (GL, GLC).

14. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I do the opposite. If I want to check out a series that has been going on for a while, I'll get the first trade or two. If I dig it. I'll jump into singles and work my way backwards picking up backissues, (which was quite bit trying to get those last few issues of Invincible :D )

I have a total disdain for "wait for the trade." Yes, I understand it might be cheaper, etc, but it doesn't have that same mystique or waiting four weeks to see that last page cliffhanger resolved that monthlies has.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just stick to singles. The only TPB I've ever bought were stories that have been completed long time ago (Death of Superman, Knightfall)

With the discounts I get at my comic store, TPB are not cheaper than singles. Even without discounts, it seems to be the same price as the singles (going by cover prices). I want to be current in stories & not have to wait months to read something that everyone on boards talked about months ago & gave away any spoilers.

I also want to show the comic company I support their work by buying the singles. If comic shops aren't selling any copies of a series (due to fans waiting for a TPB), they won't order more & the series gets canned.

I wonder if there have been series that have been canceled to to fans not buying it because of waiting for TPBs.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I stick to trades but I get single issues occasionally when I don't think I'm going to get the TPB yet want that particular issue.

17. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

singles in most of the stuff im interetsed no transforming to trades, ll Im behind and interets me , trades.

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer buying TPBs over single issues.

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

So true, and for me, I'm in an area where most of the comic stores have gone out of business, so the local book stores only carry TPB's..and in the book stores I can use a 40% coupon so another good reason to buy TPBs!.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Comic store that was in my city closed years ago. It's been Trades from Amazon since. Not only more durable, Trades often have items that were not in the singles.