Do you consider this a "low quality" issue?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Aug 12, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    People seem to be able to detect lower quality plastic and assert fewer paint apps and pop on wheels to being low quality.

Bujt what about headswaps?

We have always had headswaps and repaints from the earliest days of TF's.
    However, this new Generations / Asia exclusives line carries that to a new degree (at least as far as I can remember).

Now personally, I don't mind Wheelie or Hot Spot. At least they ae Generations aesthetic to begin with- and Wheelie is on my very shot list of "gets".

But what of some of the others- like Brawn, Cliffjumper, Springer and Megatron- where they have mismatched aesthetics?

Could it be argued that this could be a 'low quality' issue as well?

Just curious about what people think/consider.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call it low quality. Just a strange design decision.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It's cost cutting- which is what a lot of "low quality" complaints stem from.

4. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I wouldn't call the Asian generations Brawn,Cliffjumper,G-2 Megatron & Springer Low quality. as the molds being used are superior to the original molds.

5. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I think it's smart. It's using what they have and making what they can of it. I for one think it's great. The springer mould just needed new feet, hell a lot of kit bashers have done what HasTak should have done.

The ones that use Prime moulds go too far, at least Springer's chest is kind of a classics look and again, it's mostly the feet that let him down.

It's cost cutting but it's good cost cutting and I want to see more of it!

Swindle from Hound, Brawl from deluxe tank Megatron, Dead End from......someone, point is there are literally dozens of moulds that they could make use of and essentially use the Botcon system for mass releases, that being repaints with new heads.

Moar!!!

6. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Either way, I don't care.

7. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

It's understandable cost cutting (or getting more use out of a mold for the money), though it often doesn't do much for me (I don't mind some reuse, but just a different head with different paint won't make me rush out to buy something on average)...

But my low quality opinion is related to the hollowness of legs, arms, etc.....as well as the cheaper feeling of the plastic and the loss of sharper details and paint apps. The first wave of FOC figures are a perfect example of this for me.

8. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I would call that "Milking the Mold," as in reusing an existing mold to create a new character (only having to make a new head mold), then just painting the figure differently.

Now, let's pretend that Prime RID Bumblebee had good quality plastic, several paint apps, and pinned wheels (which he pretty much did, lol). Then a few months later, Hot Shot comes out with cheaper plastic, fewer paint apps, and clip on wheels. THEN, I would call that "Low Quality," since they used the same mold and went on to use cheaper plastic, wheels, and less paint.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

I judge quality on the materials used and how solid the toy is constructed. Not whether a new head is stuck on an existing mold.

10. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    From what I remember a simple repaint or headswap isn't as simple as it sounds. I wouldn't call it low quality at all. Heck, I like seeing scans of toy instructions and deciphering what this head looks like and what it could be.