Do you consider TFS crossover toys part of the TF line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Backstop, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    ok well I was at Toy R Us today with my son as he was break`n nuts for a Animated Soundwave, Anyways I came across the Marvel crossover figs and all I could think was "TFS are hot ok I get it but this is trying to hard" I dont consider these being TFS just like the Starwars TFS. I think the idea is gay, as its like taking a nice robot toy and putting a human style head on it? WTF is next Barbie TFS crossovers for girls or god forbid TFS crossdressers for some little boys lol.. I really do not know what Hasbro is thinking sometimes? As from even a 7 yr. olds point of view (my son) he looked at them and said why is Hulk a tank? And then went over to the Animated and Universe stuff. is that not even the target age they are trying to hit? And to boot they are like $20 each! I dont think cause you slap the Transformers name on something it makes it a TF, What are your thoughts?

2. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    They are Transformers because Hasbro says they are. To me not so much. I like the idea for Star Wars Transformers and G.I. Joe Transformers would be cool but only if they were characters like Prime as an X-Wing and Starscream as a Tie Advanced. To me Transformers are sentient robots were as these some to be just Mecha. To each his own though. I have no problem either way. If someone feels differently then that's cool since we all have different opinions, plus Hasbro is backing the other side.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My big beef with them is how they're built most of the crossover toys are bad and look awful. Trying to make the robot mood look like the character fails often.

4. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I think the idea is horrendous. The execution, I really don't know since I've avoided even looking at them. I had a whole discourse about this in the other thread about the crossover lines.

Basically, Hasbro just takes the toy properties that they own/have the rights to produce and amalgamates it with transformers. That's just unadulterated marketing and product gimmicking...little kids won't know any better and parents won't care (so long as it's in the budget) but to us the discerning collectors...it's simply "trying to hard" as you said.

5. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

No. Can't get much simpler than that.

6. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Hmmm. Not really, although, given how the early Marvel TF comic was in the same universe as Spider-Man, it could be argued that the Marvel X-over line is a continuation of that part of the comic before it diverged into its own world.

7. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Whats the point of having piloted robots that look like their pilot? Especially in a world of sentient robots.

They should really drop the Crossovers line completely.

8. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    definitely no..Transformers are Transformers...not other characters from all kinds of TV shows/movies that transform into various vehicles...thats just wrong and stupid...

9. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I consider them to be part of the Transformers as well as the star wars and marvel lines respectively.

Now I agree that most of the the Star Wars TFs don't... look so good in robot mode,
    but the Marvel ones look pretty neat. Who cares if they don't make sense? they're toys.

Basically anything that Hasbro and/or Takara makes and Brands "TRANSFORMERS" is technically part of the Transformers line. Yes, that includes Animorphs.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I consider them part of different universes, so not part of the core TF line. More like branch-off series. Like if the characters found a way to use TF tech to their advantage. And I'll defend them by saying some are good. The Marvel TFs are actually engineered pretty well (With the Iron Man and Hulk figures being the most recommended)....The Star Wars TFs.......eeeeeh.....

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

but isn't that what hasbro has been doing all along, with transformers since the beginning? making transformers look like transformer characters? optimus primes megatron's, ect? lol

12. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I just consider them to be kinda fun, speculative ideas. Forget the backstory, trying to explain them, warp them to 'fit' will just make your head hurt.

Basically, the whole line was probably created from the question 'What would X character turn into if he was a Transformer?'

There's nothing wrong with that, and the execution isn't all that bad this time around, unlike the Star Wars line.

Either pick them up if they interest you, or ignore them. Hasbro is trying new things... vote with your dollars, it's the only way they'll know if it works or not.

13. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    man i for one hate crossovers. sometimes it works but i still dont like them.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, I categorize based on the characters. The Marvel TFs and SWTFs aren't Transformers characters, so I don't classify them in the Transformers line. However, I accept that they are officially branded as TFs and I don't have any problem with it. I do notice that some stores have issues with whether the crossovers are TFs or not. Some places have the crossovers in with the Transformers, some have them in with the 'parent' series (Marvel or Star Wars)...a few have the SWTFs directly between the TFs and SW stuff, so they don't have to commit one way or the other.

15. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I despise the crossover figures really. I don't consider them true Transformers at all.

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hate to bring this up but Animorphs were called "TRANSFORMERS" as well. :(  Remembering those days, the SWTFS and Marvel Corss-overs are dreamy. Anyway, if you don't like cross-overs, you're no less a fan and it shouldn't hurt your collection. If you like them, more Transformers! :D  Pilots remind me of the Diaclones, so maybe I'll just make up of my own stortyline. (I usually do).

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They are OK, I consider them as Transformers toys.

I just don't look at them lovingly as "characters" like I look at TFs :tongue: 
    I have some SWTFs because I like Star Wars, and the way I see them, they aren't transforming robots, but transforming vehicles.

18. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they are still transformers but ive yet to see one that is actually any good, i'd say that the SW ones in particular are spectacularly hideous.

19. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

No.

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i dont consider them part of the core line...its like an alternate universe...i like the SWTF cuz i like SW already and buying these little detailed ships is more cost effective then buying the larger $30 buck ships (or more) and then they transform too...which is sweet...most of the transformations arent the most amazing, but their fun...and to me, they are all SW characters piloting mechs...not the actual characters themselves...

as far as marvel transformers goes, its them cashing in the success of transformers and marvel at the same time...they look fun, but in my quest to cut back my collection, i'll probably only get the hulk, cuz i love me some hulk...the rest look alright, i just dont need to spend money on them, but people seem to like them, so thats cool...

basically, i say if you dont like them, dont buy them...