Do you consider cartoon/anime accurate toys "better"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BigRC83, Sep 4, 2008.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I do not. Not all the time at least. I always preferred HASBRO's Classics Astrotrain instead of the cartoon accurate HENKEI's release re-color. I also liked the original G1 Bumblebee instead of the resent ENCORE re-isssue with the cartoon face. Does anybody else feel like this or does cartoon/anime accurate toys automatically make them superior?

2. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It really depends. I usually prefer the anime/cartoon accurate ones. But sometimes if they do a really nice deco I might reconsider.

For example Universe Powerglide I'm hoping Takara's pure red Powerglide comes out nice, but if he looks dumb, then I'll go get the red and white one and claim he's now part of a medic squad.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Totally not. In fact a lot of the time (especially regarding G1, where the differences are more pronounced) I like the toy versions a heck of a lot more than the 'toon ones.
    Maybe that's partially because I'm hardwired into the thinking that the toy versions are more 'right' - they're the original source of the designs, it's the media after that are getting it wrong - but a lot of the time I genuinely think the toys look better (barring the obvious lack of articulation).

And yes, that definitely includes the likes of Bumblebee - for ages I thought I was pretty much the only person alive who liked the toy face better.

4. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Henkei tries too hard to be geewun at times.

Henkei Ramjet's deco is a bit gaudy compared to Classics Ramjet.

Henkei Grimlock tries to be like Geewun Grimlock, but it doesn't look so much like Geewun Grimlock to begin with.

Henkei Astrotrain and Megatron are alright. My big beef with Classics Astrotrain was the colors. Same thing with Starscream, they gave him no shiny metal gray for his face just the dull base plastic colors.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    It depends. I don't totally consider the Henkei to be super accurate anyways - although I do like Henkei Astrotrain better than the classics.

In the case of like Walmart MP SS, I prefer that color scheme to the original for sure.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    interesting thread topic! i definitely prefer cartoon accurate toys, but i wouldnt say its "better" as such..but astrotrain was much better in the henkei line than classics..so was starscream..and IMO skyfire (i expect someone to retort on that:D ) but then again, me being all for cartoon accuracy, i LOVE universe powerglide...its a great take on the G1 character, but its quite different...its big, for one...so im glad its not full red (would look dumb, fully red and so large) and the transformation is great..its simply a great figure
    EDIT: i like henkei megs much better than classics too...didnt like the purple at all

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends on a number of things, including how much of an impact the media character makes on me.

More often than not, I'll just go with whatever color scheme or version looks better to me, whether it's more accurate to cartoons or comics or not.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  8. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

Depends. Most of the time, yes i would like the toys appearance to match the show. However, G1 Reish Bumbles looks better with his old head, but anime Starscream is pure love!! So you win some and you lose some.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Varies character. For likes of ratchet and ironhide I prefer toon aesthetic, for other bots, it doesn't matter much. But that's honestly because I can't stand the marvel rendition of Ratchet.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer cartoon accurate because I grew up with that. And TFs are all about nostalgia for me. So not really "better" but preffered.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    It does depend on certain factors, but usually yes.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on what color scheme looks better on the toy itself. I don't pay much attention to the cartoons/media, so I'm not concerned whether my toys are more 'accurate' to that or not.

13. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely yes but there's some exception to it, for example TF Henkei which is a hits & misses. i agree with some of the opinions from other posters abt it trying too hard to be G1 (at times overdoing it)

14. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this

15. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I grew up with the cartoon, and I remember looking at my Ratchet figure in disgust and wishing he looked like he did in the cartoon.

16. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    personally i base a toy on its qualities and not how it compares to its cartoon look, sure its cool that say the animated toys are very close to the animation BUT it does take away something that i really like about G1 toys and the cartoon.

For some reason i liked the fact that the blocky toys were 'humanised' and had kibble downplayed for the cartoon in a similar way that i loved the way the box artwork animated the static toy inside the packet, i recognised that the toy design was obviously more limited than a 2D image and this was the artists way of bringing the toy to life. With animated toys the extra imaginative leap is taken away but that doesnt stop them from being nice toys.

anyway if ive missed teh point and you mean henkei astrotrain repaint vs classics (for eg) then im utterly indifferent, its down to which i feel looks the nicest on its own merits.

17. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the whole yes.

18. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Not in all cases, but almost.

19. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Well-Known Member

yes i do like cartoon accurate toys.This is what always bothered me about G1.I guess thats why i like energoon and cybertron so much.

20. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Why not. I have both Henkei and Classics Astrotrains and I like Henkei version better. Worth the extra cost.