Do you collect multiple versions of the same character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I try not to collect the same of one character, but repaints are welcome.

2. D_Unit

D_Unit Well-Known Member

I do so in extremely rare occasions. It must be for what I consider really awesome figures that I want both modes of; and there's no repaints available. for instance; Alternators Ravage & Rumble, Mirage, Decepticharge (before Arcee was released), Cybertron Primus... and I can't think of anymore (besides my 2 Escaflowne's; I couldn't afford the black exclusive version).

But this applies to only the EXACT same figures, not repaints, remolds, variants, etc...

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, i do.. i started out with the movie line, and just thought i'd stick to one version per character (deluxe brawl, no leader/ leader prime, no voyager etc)... then i branched out to other lines... and i have quite a few primes, megatrons etc

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    if the repaint is a different guy, i buy it. but if it's the same guy i won't. for example i didn't by the movie black bumblebee cause i had the yellow one. but i did buy cliffjumper.

5. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i buy any toy i like, i have encore/powermaster reissue/animated delux/animated voyager/henkei/star convoy primes.

I got those not because its 'prime' but because i liked them enough to purchase. i always judge a toy on its own characteristics and nothing else.

I tend not to get repaints unless i feel it makes a significant improvement or change to the original, i still have to like it of course, eg i dont care for classics nemesis prime though i have the henkei version. where repaints are similar i tend to get the one i like the most, so i got henkei prime over classics prime for eg.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I do, but not usually just because it's a certain character. Though there are one or two characters I would buy pretty much any version of (Grimlock & Skywarp for two examples). The character I have the most of is Optimus Prime. Mainly because there are so many good versions of him, and pretty much every line has at least one version of him. As for repaints, there aren't too many molds that I own more than one version of, but I don't have any problems with them. Usually there is only one version of each mold that I like enough to get.

7. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Well I've started to collect a few Megatrons into my collection again and I've got a few primes too, got maybe 3 or so Starscreams.....got 3 Arcees, just got a big mix of so many figures in my collection.

I do plan to get the Transformers Universe Dinobot to go next to the original Beast Wars Dinobot just for comparison.

I've got a few dozen repaints as well....

But I don't buy more than 1 of the same figure...only figures I have more than one of is Energon Strongarm and I'll soon have an extra Energon Skyblast....I just like the Omnicons....

8. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely, I won't ever have enough Optimi.

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually get 1 of each mold that is put out. Repaints are bought if there is nothing else to get and I'm needing a new toy.

10. doubleclouderr

doubleclouderr ROTF, hell yea!

yea if there is this toy i really like, i'll get 2 or even 3.

One to play, one to display as the background, and one carefully wrapped up!
    Many years down the road, viola! good old precious vintage for myself! :) 

Currently have Fireguts Ginrai (E-hobby), Grimlock (G1), Seacons, Deathsaurus and Victorysaber as my multiples :) 

11. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been my intention for a while to have my own Grimlock collection... So far, I have a 2nd hand G1 figure, and a Classics Grimmy. Not a lot, but I certainly intend to add to them... Probably my next one will be TFA or WST.

12. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Yes
    |
    |
    V

13. honcho

honcho BW Megatron Completionist

Ebay:
    Hell yeah. I buy anything BW/BM Megatron and Grimlock, since they're my top two favorite characters.

I'm working on obtaining one of each mold/release and merchandise so far before I start branching off to variations of a figure, like Transmetal Megs' blue/pink/purple chrome variants and such. However, I'm not counting on getting any Lucky Draws or soul-crushingly expensive Botcon exclusives.

Third and fourth characters would probably be Tracks and Dinobot. I just need Action Master Tracks, Hasbro/Henkei Dinobots, and I'm all set for them.

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I collect Big Convoy, including novelty items and excluding LDs. If I like the character in a show, sure, I buy different versions of him. I am really looking forward to Samurai Prowl :D 

15. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Primes, always Primes, and Primals, i'm a sucker for Primes and Primals.

16. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

I almost never collect repaints. The only time I remember is for the Energon combiners which I half regret.
    As for same character/different mold definitely. I usually just give one of them another name. If the mold's good I'll buy it. That's almost my only criteria.

17. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few characters that dominate my collection--original Datsun trio and Jazz. Prowl--16; Bluestreak--13; Smokescreen--6; Jazz--14. The Bluestreak collection is only missing the Decoy.

18. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

My question is what do you do with multiples of the same figure? I have G1 Ravage and now I have Universe Ravage also I have Animated Prowl and Samurai Prowl (Comming in the next few days). What to do with the other figures?

19. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Definitely get TFA while he's still on the shelves. He's an awesome figure.

I didn't know there was so many Optimus and some of the others. Now I got an itch to go through my stuff and see how many Primes, Megs and Screams I got, too.

Are you counting each individual guy? Like, US release of G1 Prime, Japan's G1 Convoy, the new reissue one, New Year's Prime, etc? I myself only got the G1 and G2 Primes of the "original" mold, never bothered to get the new reissue/25th Anniv, G1 Convoy from Japan, etc.

20. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yep. I have 6 Optimus Primes and 5 Bumblebees. I think I'm getting a G1 Prime for Christmas.