Do you collect multiple versions of the same character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Dec 21, 2008.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I ask because I do, but I don't collect repaints. I've been thinking about why do I feel it's okay to buy another mold representing a character I own, but if I already have the mold a repaint (even if its a new character) is not warranted.

I am in no way a completionist of any line or character. I'd like to have a collection of toys I like, but also not so many I can never enjoy them all. It's an interesting balance that I've been trying to meet, and only rarely do I regret selling off or passing on certain toys.

2. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Sure.

I have different Primes, Megatrons, Galvatrons, Starscreams, etc. Of course, I also buy repaints, if I like the character and/or if I like the paint job. For instance, the upcoming Darkwing/Darkwind repaint at TRU, I'm not a huge fan of the character, but I love the color scheme, so he's bought. And I very rarely buy repaints in the Ultra-size range.

Heck, I very rarely buy any repaints above the deluxe size figures! But I'm really digging this one for some reason.

3. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    short and simple nope.

4. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Nope, I don't usually buy repaints.

Excluding Seekers

5. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Currently 18 Megatrons from all generations, and still intend to buy more.

6. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I do, but not just because it is a specific character. I don't specifically collect Megatrons, or Primes or anything. I collect figures from specific lines and that is how I have them organized. This results in having several different versions of some characters.

I buy repaints, but only if it is a different character. I won't buy a figure that is the same mold and character of a figure I already have, even if I like the new paint app. Slap a new character name on that figure and I will probably get it.

7. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I usually go out of my way to collect multiple combiner teams, but this is because I eventually intend to set up a display case with the component robots in the front and the gestalt they form in the back.

I do also grab extra ones if they're cheap. :) 

8. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I do. Same characters from different series is not exactly the same, if you get my drift.

As for repaints of the same character, then it'a an almost negative. Unless I like the mold or have something new added to it, like TFA Samurai Prowl, then I most probably won't get them at retail.
    But if I can find those repaints loose and/or cheap, then I would reconsider.

Of course, if it's a repaint branded as another character, like the Seekers for example, then it's a must-buy :D 

9. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    He's not talking about repaints. He's asking if you collect different molds of the same character.

10. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

You bet. Nearly all Megatrons, Primes, Nemesis Primes, Skywarps, Red Alerts, Prowls, Convoys, Ultra Magnus, and so on. If you like the char, the recolor, or the mold, get them, I say. Even if you already have the char, mold, or colors.

After all, if you really do like them, why just have one?

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course!

I have eleven Optimus Primes (and I'll pick up two more after Christmas if I don't receive them as gifts), six Megatrons (with a seventh forthcoming), seven Starscreams, five Ultra Magnus' (if you count a second Magnus in City Commander armor as a fifth), five Bumblebees and three or four of several other characters. If it's a G1 character, I'll pick up other versions of it in separate lines if I like the mold (I don't like either Universe or Henkei version of Classics Grimlock so I ignore that, I don't like the forthcoming Animated Jetfire or Wreck-Gar so I'll ignore those, I pass on any Movie molds that weren't actually robots from the film, for example). I don't do Beast Wars, Armada, or any lines that came out between G1 (or G2, I suppose) and the Movie and Classics since I'm completely unfamiliar about them and haven't seen anything I particularly like. I stick to G1 (reissues and originals), Movie figures, Animated, Classics, 3-inch Titaniums, Revoltechs, and Masterpieces.

As for standard style repaints, I spend enough money on this stuff and am already an obsessive compulsive completist; I don't need to be worrying about senseless repaints like '8am Hangover Optimus Prime' and 'Nightclub Megatron' and 'Morning After Arcee and Starscream.'

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I try to collect the Primes and Megatrons from each series, unless they're really lame. Other than that, I don't do it particularly often.

13. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes I do. I have a Starscream collection going that is up to 106 including MISB. Most of which can be seen by clicking on my sig. For other characters it depends on if I like the mold.

14. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

ive decided to start a soundwave collection, im planing on scratch building a war with in soundwave as well

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    E-hobby Rocks..the G1 stuff they do. luckely for me and the wallet they have not been doing so much lately. and I already own Sunstorm and black megs.

16. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I try not to, but it happens. Mostly because there's a 'newer mold' that represents the character nicely enough that I pick one up. Then the NEXT newer mold does a better job.

But for that reason, I tend to skip getting multiple versions of the same character if I can help it. Only two I think I've gotten quite the collection on are Starscream and Prime, and Prime I'm REALLY trying to cut back on. I didn't get the Energon, Cybertron, any Animated version or the Universe/Classics Prime (got the U. Mags/Skywarp two pack for that mold). Although I did cave on the Movie First Strike rendition.

Most of the time, if I get a new version of the same character, I'll give him a new name and make him someone else. This is often best when they do repaints--then you can get away with having the mold without repeating some character from the series prior.

17. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Oh yeah.

Aside from the Classics/Universe 2.0 line (of which I am a completest, excluding most other line repaints) and a few odds and ends, my entire collection is based around a handful of characters:

36x Optimus Prime
    23x Starscream
    23x Megatron
    8x Ultra Magnus
    7x Nemesis Prime
    6x Soundwave
    5x Grimlock

I learned that by keeping my collection to a few characters, I spend far less, my collection is far more organized, and, to me, it's more meaningful.

(My collection pics are a bit outdated, so the numbers above won't all jive with those in the thread.)

18. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Yes I do.

19. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Since I buy mainly for the figure and not the character, the answer is yes. I currently have 6 Optimii (with a 7th coming for Xmas), 4 Bumblebees, 3 Megatrons, 3 Starscreams, 3 Landmines, 2 Jetfires, 2 Scattershots and 2 Ratchets. This isn't including my Robot Heroes, which would make that 7 Optimii (with a 8th incoming), 6 Bumblebees, 4 Megatrons (with a 5th incoming), 4 Starscreams, 3 Jazzes (with a 4th incoming), 2 Soundwaves, 2 Shockwaves and 2 Barricades. My incoming Xmas lot will also give me my second Blackarachnia, Sunstreaker and Hound. Completing my absolutely MASSIVE wish list would make listing my name-duplicates go into intolerable levels. How's a grand total of 16 Optimii grab you (including various Primals, but not counting Optimus Minor)? It's just mental.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  20. AMG

AMG Old School

Absolutely.