Do you collect any toys that other adults *don't* collect?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Nightrain, Apr 15, 2008.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    TransFormers - primarily G.1/G.2, Machine Wars, Cybertron, Movie line, Animated, Classics 1.0/2.0.
    MicroMachines Star Wars Action Fleet - only vehicles from ep.4-5-6.
    Robotech/Macross - only the ones I like and aren't overpriced.
    25th G.I Joe - mostly the ones I always wanted as kid

2. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I used to have a complete Stikfas collection with all exclusives n everything. But that's probably somewhat common.

I used to have a nice sugar packet collection as a kid, but that was because the only place my grandmother ever took me was to diners. It was a fine collection though.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    A half-complete set of every variation of the Hot Wheels "Rail Rodder" toy car, including the super-rare MISB 1997 Treasure Hunt version in a preservation case.

Oh, and a series of one-of-a-kind custom TF's made by myself. I don't think anyone else owns an Autobot Burnout made from Movie Camshaft with Cub Scout Pinewood Derby stickers.

4. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    I collect Zoids, but the toyline pretty much dead now.......

5. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I don't collect dolls, but I did receive the Disney Pocahontas "Spirit of Love" giftset that included Barbie-sized Pocahontas and John Smith dolls from my Mom when the movie came out in '95 (I was/am a huge fan of that one!) and it's a proud piece of my toy collection!

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Bionicle doesn't really seem like it has a decent sized adult following, so I'll throw that in there.
    DN

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    My collections are also focused on by other adults - Nerf, MASK, Transformers, and Star Wars.

8. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

These are also the three types of toys I collect. I'm not a completist for any line though.

TFs - Limited to Alternators, Masterpieces, cassettes and a few select others that I feel fit in with those.

GI Joe - 25th/Modern Era only, but I would like to get a few original ARAH vehicle that I'm sure they won't redo. Mostly wish I could get a Terror Drome.

LEGO - Only toys I didn't sell when I "grew up." I have many of the Star Wars sets but haven't bought any new ones for a few years. Now I just get sets occasionally that I think look cool. My favorite sets are from the Castle series.

9. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Further proof that people will collect anything. I read fluff news stories about people that even collect coffee stirrers.

10. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    well old ppl i know collect spoons..... from different states theyve been to after retirement i guess.... how bout captain power! hah i got some of that stuff still around

11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to collect Power Rangers back in the 90's, but I sold them. I have some of the Star Wars Phantom Menace figures and I also collect Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning Toy Mopars.

12. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Actually I had a very extensive hotwheel collection when I was younger that my father gave to me. So I added onto it, and then shortley after I turned 17 I gave it to my little nephew, so hopefully he will carry it on.

Right now though....even though it is considered not a toy, I do collect bottle caps....kind of silly but I do

13. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Apart from Transformers I have a pretty big Hot Wheels collection, but I don't buy new ones for myself anymore. And my collection is slowly becoming my son's.

Back in the 90s I used to go to KB stores a lot and I bought many toys that they marked down. The one that I have the most of is the older Marvel figures (predating Marvel Legends). My collection is pretty huge. But it's been in storage for years.

Some of my other items from back then are stuff like ReBoot... Battletech (which really sucked)... Dinozaurs... Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad... etc.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I don't think one would consider it toys, but I collect the cosmetics fixtures that the store I work at throws out. I strip/cover over anything related to advertising the cosmetics and use them to display Transformers. I'd recomend befriending cosmetics girls (for a number of reasons:ev: ) and kindly asking them to keep for you any displays you see in their boutique that catch your eye, as the turnover rate for diplays is quarterly(at least).

Back on subject, though, having worked at a Toys'R'Us, I can safely say that there are many collectors for Barbie dolls, and some women go nuts for any doll that is to scale with Barbie, so Hanna Montanna/High School Musical/Hillary Duff/Mary Kate & Ashley/Random Pop Star figures are highly collectable, for those who like it.

I feel sorry for the poor men who have to deal with the generation of women who will be nostalgic collectors of Bratz dolls. Those will be dark times indeed.

15. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Alot of people i've worked with in the past have gotten into toruble because of collectors. They always wanted someone to look in the back from something but during a short period of time we weren't allowed to get anything from the back unless everything on the shelves were completely empty. That rule has since be thrown down the shitter.

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I collect stuffed animals of foxes and anything dealing with the 1973 Disney Robin Hood movie.

17. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I collect other peoples prescription bottles. Especially the ones with 1 or 2 refills left. Those are sweet.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I know it's nothing new to adult collectors, but I used to be into the fancy Barbies, especially the Disney, Comics, and Movie labels. But boy, people complain about TF's being pricey!

I finally sold most of them on Ebay, and made a killing! Them Barbie peoples iz CRAY-ZEE!!! I kept imaging Smithers from the Simpsons drooling over my auctions and bidding madly... :lolol 

19. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I suppose I forgot to mention Plushies. I wouldn't call it serious collecting like I do TFs or Megaman. After getting at least 1 of each available Sonic chracter in plush I mostly stopped but I do like to pick up one or two a year, mostly anime related at the cons. Though I do have one ordinary rabbit plush which I rescued from the after easter bargain bin a while back. My actual pet rabbit kicks its ass whenever she meets it though. I guess she likes being an only bunny.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My mom is a school Bus driver and she likes to collect bus oriented things. She mainly gets t-shirts, desk trinkets, and once she got a back to school display from a shoe store that was a 4 foot bus with working stop lights.
    and for years i was buying her toy buses- the best thing was the Simpsons talking bus. Otto's phrase "I stand by my reputation, 15 accidents without a single fatality" made her laugh.
    she had her boss offering up to 50 dollars for it. it is still MISB.
    sweet