Do You Buy Generation 1 Knockoffs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Convoy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

I was wondering, do any of you guys buy the G1 knockoffs? I'm tempted to buy one but what bothers me is that its not made from Takara or Hasbro. I was told that people do buy it cause the knockoffs are better than the original.

2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I've never seen anyone claim that KOs are better than the original, but in cases where you would like a "new" figure in good condition and are unconcerned with the status of the manufacturer, some of the KOs are quite good and can be cheaper than vintage versions of similar quality. (KOs can be particularly attractive in cases where Hasbro/Takara Tomy are unwilling or unable to release a reissue of a figure.)

That said, threads about KOs rarely end well. There is a dedicated KO thread in this section where you can see pictures and limited feedback on various figures.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I've been trying to bag a KO Wheeljack for a while, since apparently he can't be reissued.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    no not yet but if i was to find one at a price i felt was fair for KO of its quality id buy it.

5. Atamalobotsu

Atamalobotsu Banned

I usually go for the off colors that are not Hasbro. Like transparent G1 prime and all black prime.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the ones that we know Has/Tak aren't going to give us. Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Mirage. I like them and now I find that I need to get all of the KOG1's that haven't been reissued yet. My only fear is that once I buy a particular one, say Cyclonus like I just got, I don't really know if he'll be reissed later. I don't want anything that I can get a real reissue of... make sense??

7. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes i bought almost all of them misb. they cost the same as the real encore reissues prices. from 10.00 to 100.00 each piece depending on the size. im about 60% done with all of them. so far i spent around 3500.00 just for the ko sets. they add up really fast. dont get me wrong i buy all real takara reissues too. i just blame takara for not releasing them fast enough. looks like takara dont care for my business for g1 reissues too much. so i buy from whoever puts them out first.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I've bought a few; mostly because I couldn't afford the originals. I use them as placeholders in my collection until I can afford originals.

9. kraven

kraven Decepticon

I've got the ko devastator they were selling at walgreens a couple years back, its a great, super cheap, stand-in for the original. The quality is terrible but I pretty much just have my figures for display anyway, so it works.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I purchased and still own a KO G1 Wheeljack. The figures are hit and miss but with the way things are now, is that any real surprise? Takara has MP Transformers with Reverse boobs, Henkei Thundercracker is super loose... etc...

The only KO's I can vouch for are Mirage and Wheeljack. Check out the feedback forum for the others.

11. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Basically the same. I've only got 2 at the minute - Frenzy and Ratbat - but am weighing up a Metrotitan too, since I know I'll never be able to find the real thing :lol 

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sometimes tempted, but haven't yet.

13. AMG

AMG Old School

I picked up a bunch of the combiner guys that Big Lots had years ago, but that's about it.

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep hearing about reverse boobs...what does that mean?? I have the US releases but I just don't understand what that means. Is it present on the US versions? What does a reverse boob look like and what does the correct boob look like?? (.)(.)

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It was a problem with one of the Masterpiece Seekers that Takara put out; I think it might have been Skywarp. The pieces that cover the missile launchers on his chest in robot mode (hence the term "boobs") were on the wrong sides. The Hasbro Skywarp does not have this problem.

16. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. I buy Encore, and some of them are just like cheap KOs.

17. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I do, but i'm a kitbasher, so my opinion is based on them being a cheap source for parts and replicas of G1, a cheap source of combiner heads and a cheap source of joints/

Oh, and did i mention they were cheap?

18. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you can't see it, don't go looking for it lol. It took me about a month to find out what everyone was talking about. Takara Thundercracker and Skywarp have this problem. If you want pictures, pm me and i'll send you some. Not really a big deal

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I plan on getting the KO's of figures that we won't/yet have official re-issues/encores of. Example, Shockwave, Cyclonus, Scourge, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Mirage, and Devestator to name a few. Just look at my want-list.

20. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

No.