Do you believe in "premonitions?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Sinister, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

I'm not talking about anything like the Dead Zone or the Shining (or even the "Shinning"), but is there anyone else out there who believes that you can get some sort of a vibe when something is going to happen to a loved one? My mom just told me something interesting--when I was 4 or 5, I predicted that my grandfather on my dad's side had just died a few seconds before my dad got the call, and that in high school I got very jittery & easily scared during the time that my grandmother fell & broke her hip, and during the time she was frozen to the floor I couldn't shake this fear of death.

Anyone else think we're all connected, or just a couple of coincidences?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I knew this thread was coming.

3. Sideways

Sideways Banned

That's interesting, Mr.Sinister. I never had such things happen to me. I don't believe in coincidence.

4. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

I knew you were going to say that.

5. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I've had a few eerie things happen. One is probably just being observant. Both of them had to do with my grandfather. First was shortly before he died I could kind of tell he going soon. I remember he was in the hospital and the doctor was reading off this list of food he couldn't have anymore. He'd already at least been limited from salt years before. The look in his eyes just seemed like he'd lost the will to live. He was also being put on dialysis. He then died of complications of the dialysis; something they put in his arm.

Admittedly that's sad, but more observation than premonition. The really eerie thing came probably a year later. Until this point whenever I'd dream about my grandad I would be the only one who could actually see or hear him or seem him. It was a bit like Al in Quantum Leap. Anyway, I then had this one dream where it was completely different. It was completely normal. In the dream he told me "Make sure Grandma is ok". About a week later my Grandmother lost all sence of reality and didn't remember he had died. She kept asking where he was. I ended up staying with her for a few hours until she was ok again.

I'm not sure if it was just coinsidence, but it was definately very eerie.

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I believe that it was a crappy movie.

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Yes I do, I get them myself for time to time. They seem to be triggered randomly and are usually for extremely unimportant things such as the power in the house going out or my friend setting down a can of soda. Reaction time is minimal so I cant really act on anything in a useful way anyway.

8. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Every once in a great while - maybe once every five years or so - I will get a Dead Zone type flash. The last one happened about three years ago. I was teaching a student, and then all of the sudden I was standing in a Hills department store. Everyone was dressed in an 80s fashion, and I looked over to the cash register where I saw what looked like my student running a cash register. And then I was back. I then said to my student "You're mother used to work at the Hills Department store as a cashier." She confirmed this for me, and both of us got a little creeped out.

It's never anything important, it's just little trivial stuff like in that SNL sketch. I can't do it on command, and the only manifestation I have of it in day to day life is that I seem to know where misplaced items are in my girlfriend's home.

9. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

That could just be your subconscious bringing something to the surface and you making that connection when you were teaching your student. It is possible you saw her mom, someone who looks like your student, working in that Dept Store in the 80's.

10. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I believe in the metaphysical connection between us all. I also believe in premonitions, because I have them from time to time. Nothing big, just little things like knowing what someone will say before they say it, or knowing my cell is about to beep. What I don't believe in is coincidences; or at least not by their standard definition.

11. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    There is no Dana, only Zuul.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my dad has em all the time.
    mom takes checkbook and dad gets visions of demons and torment and dark days to come.

but i don't think those are premonitions- i call 'em patterns of behavior, lol.

seriously, i don't have faith in premonitions, i think in a lot of cases it is someone being overly observant of environment or is clued in to what's happening and pieces together an outcome.

a true premonition to me, is the prediction of an outcome that occurs and has no link or tie to events preceeding/surrounding it.

and those i have trouble believing in.

13. newguy

newguy i

We are all people who have been decended from poo flinging mokeys, so i gues anything is possible.

14. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

No.
    It just doesn't make sense.

15. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe Yuko.. there is no coincidence, only inevitability.

Ofcourse there's also subconscious minds interpreting things as well...

16. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I knew I was going to LOL :D 

17. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not only did I see this thread in a dream last week, I clearly remember that I just didn't have anything helpful to add to the conversation.

18. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I do to some extent.

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, while I do believe in lots of supernatural things, you really have to take into account how crazy our subconscious works. I know that often times I'll be listening to music from about 100 tracks and the player selects the next song randomly, yet somehow I seem to be able to guess what song is coming up next. But, do I really? My mind may fool me into thinking that since I already have heard that song sometime before, and as soon as that next song starts, I hear the music and it all comes back in my head and I THOUGHT I already was thinking about that song. Does that make any sense? I guess my point is that crazy and miraculous things can happen, but most of the time it's probably us filling in gaps to explain things in our heads.

Another quick example that I know happens to a lot of people is spiders. You see, when we see things, the images are sent to our brains to process and often times our brains fill in gaps to help form the image. Now, if we see a white wall but aren't looking directly at it, we may not see a discrepancy since out brain doesn't understand it and its so small that our brains just cover it up. So, have you ever look directly at a wall and all the sudden notice there's a spider on it? Or some other bug? A lot of times you won't see them unless you pay special attention to the area you're focusing on or they are so big in the peripheral vision that it catches your attention. Eh, I'm babbling. Merry Christmas.

20. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

This sounds more like the product of smoking crack on a regular basis.