Do you beleive in ghosts, the paranormal, cryptids and psychic abilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nobleboivin, Aug 24, 2012.

?

Do you beleive in ghosts, the paranormal, cryptids and psychic abilities

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    51.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like the title says, do any of you beleive in ghosts, the paranormal, cryptids and psychic abilities

2. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    No.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    'If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say...'

4. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

YESSSSSSS!

I once saw this guy in the woods wearing a red tie and had no face!

Wait.

It's just slendy.

Btw, isn't there a thread for this already?

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Mah bro. Slendy is a sight to behold.

I haven't had anything happen to me personally, but that doesn't mean I can't believe.

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    NO. IT'S ALL NONSENSE. Only good for your imagination, nothing more. I'll be honest, I'd probably get creeped out if I was alone in a creaky old house, but that's from all the shit that I've been fed by the media getting into my subconscious. ALL FAKE THOUGH.

*Turns around after typing this post and gets punched in the face by a floating punching glove*

7. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

While I dont think there is such a thing a supernatural in the sense that something is breaking the laws of the universe, there is stuff out there beyond the current ability of science to quantify. Can ghosts exists? Possibly but 99.99% of the time its people with overactive imaginations who want to believe or crazies and the uninformed. Similarly cryptids are just animals that are as yet undiscovered.

Bigfoot is a cryptid but if he was found tomorrow hed be filed in with the great apes and become another startling new discovery for us to poke and prod and discover the secrets of his evolution. There has been talk about phantom (big) cats in australia for a century and they have been mostly treated like bigfoot sightings, but a government study a few years ago found that its 'more likely than not' there is a colony of big cats somewhere outside sydney. Are they cryptids, or just a bunch of released ww1 mascots that were able to keep a small enough population because of a lack of prey that have never been seen by anyone important enough to classify them as real? Or maybe the Bunyip preys on them and keeps their numbers down.

I like to keep an open mind, but also a skeptical mind.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    People make up stuff to explain things that there's no current proper explanation for. Or to make themselves feel better. Or because they're a bit nuts anyway. Often the origin of those 'explanantions' is long ago forgotten and becomes 'truth', especially if it's handed down and taught generation after generation as 'true'.

The only thing I might slightly believe in is when people see mysterious creatures. But only because it's possible something survived somewhere. But even then the world's getting smaller and less of it is left unexplored. We still find new species of stuff everyday, but often that's in places people haven't been to much or not at all before, like the bottom of certain parts of the ocean or deep in caves where there's no light. It's very unlikely you're going to discover an entirely unknown species of ape man lumbering around your local forest that's managed to avoid being seen or captured or dead bodies of it discovered for all this time. It's even less unlikely when you consider for it to have lasted this long there must be more of them to keep the breed going, so now there's not just one of them hiding out in the forest but at least a mate, and maybe an infant. And then if they're going to breed amongst themselves to keep the species going they'd eventually run up against the diversity problem without more of their kind to breed with and die out.

Ghosts and paranormal are nonsense. If ghosts are ever proved to actually exist (and I mean properly proved, not some nutcase shouting 'I saw one! I really did! Here's a cold room and the chair it knocked over!') I'll give oral sex to the ghost of my dead gran.

Psychic abilities I doubt, but until the brain is fully understood it can never be entirely ruled out. However I fully believe a massive percentage of the people that claim they're psychic are most definitely not, and in fact are just nuts or seriously deluded or just big attention-seekers and want to feel like they are special.

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    VERY well spoken.

The areas of our planet that haven't been explored are vast, and the possibility that there may be undiscovered creatures and entities is almost a given. Personally, I truly hope there are such creatures, but sadly man will destroy them in the name of discovery.

Ghosts and paranormal events/creatures are a different story, and rely more on the belief than the science. Whether you believe or don't believe in a cryptid won't matter when one walks up to you, but I think that the experience of witnessing a ghost or spirit requires more of a belief in the possibility. If the mind's more open to it, it's more likely to happen.

Refusing to believe in something just because it isn't 'proven' or can't be seen by everyone on a daily basis borders on ridiculous. On the opposite end, blindly believing in something because "He telled me" is just as inane.
    Then again, entire cultures were founded in the belief of a magical sky-santa that grants wishes, so...

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Ghosts, the paranormal and psychic abilities - No, definitely not.

- Cryptids - As a general concept, yes. New species, and old species previously believed extinct, are being discovered all the time, so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that there are any number of unusual creatures that we just haven't come across yet. However, I'm highly skeptical of things like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, largely because of the number of hoaxes surrounding them over the years.

11. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

Psychic abilities - no.

The rest - yes.

12. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Stupid poll. Too black and white.

A monster is only a monster until it's understood, then it's just an animal. A paranormal phenomenon is only paranormal until it's understood, then it's just a bit of science. Think of the whole thing like a natural evolution of Clarke's Third Law ("Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."), in the same way, any sufficiently misunderstood science is indistinguishable from the paranormal. It doesn't have to be particularly advanced, just not fully understood by the person experiencing it, and all of a sudden it's the cursed spirits of the dead/fairies/aliens/god/whatever other story the person can use to fill in the gaps of their scientific understanding.

So my answer would be:

I believe there are things that humans call ghosts, cryptids, and the paranormal. But I don't actually think they're the spirits of the dead, monsters or unusual fluctuations in the aura (or whatever stupid babble it's being called by idiots this time). It's far more likely to be simply a rare/undiscovered/diseased animal, human stupidity, coincidence or a simple scientific principle that is not yet fully understood. For instance, various experiments have shown that electro magnetic fields can induce effects similar/identical to those reported by people who have encountered ghosts.

The people who say categorically "NO!" or "YES!" have one thing in common - an amazing amount of arrogance and ignorance in equal measure.

Well that was a longer post than I was planning on making. :D 

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Drat, you beat me to it. Came here just to post that and it's already been posted...

:( 

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Beat me to it. Hell, I got beat to saying "beat me to it."

There is currently no solid evidence to support the existance of ghosts, paranormal phenonmenae like psychic abilities, extraterrestrials, or pretty much any of the famous "cryptids".

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out.

A lot of weird stuff have happened on this world, so flat out dismissing anything as "too absurd" is pretty ignorant. On the other hand, so is believing anything without solid proof.
    Of course, the real trouble with these kind of things is the huge leaps of logic people tend to do when trying to explain things. For instance, every curious thing in the sky (and even in any given body of water) will instantly be labeled "aliens in a space craft with a sinister agenda." There is no discussion on whether it may be a bird/fish, some natural phenomenon, angels/fairies/spirits, an experimental air/sea craft, normal air/sea craft, a color out of space, a dragon, an alien itself, an unmanned alien space probe, or a million other possibilities. No, it MUST be "aliens in a space craft with a sinister agenda" because... because.

16. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

yes i belelve in the paranormal BTW gost count as the paranormal

17. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. I used to believe in the Loch Ness Monster, though.

What I can tell you is that, if ghosts and cryptids and whatnot do exist, it's not in the way the Discovery Channel and the History Channel depicts them.

18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It depends. For some things yes, but other things would be a no. I do like to keep an open mind.

19. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I have no opinion on Ghosts or Psychic abilities

I do believe in Cryptids, though. There's plenty of unknown animals out there, completely new ones or ones thought to be extinct

20. gregles

gregles quintesson

wow!! spot on this pretty much some's up exactly how I feel about this subject, very well said.