Do you always have "Bad Luck" in getting poor QC TF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dogbomber, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am asking this as it seems like a curse/fate, whatever you can call it, to me that I always get bad toy. This only applies to toy that is MISB or MOC. That is why I try to inspect the toy as much as I can and always deal with the shop/seller that is understandable

1. TF Takara Exclusive Ramjet
    Incident: Look ok from MOSC but went home to open, face has a large portion unpainted.
    Aftermath: Accepted it and bought another one without problem

2. MP09 Rodimus Prime
    Incident: Original Takara version but end up having the side leg panel not attached to screw at all when open from box! Even my friend who got the HK version does not have this problem.
    Aftermath:Waiting for path replacement.

3. Galaxy Force GD01 Megatron
    Incident: Open and found out that the rubber at one of the feet connector got small cut/tear
    Aftermath: Live with it.

4. MP04 Optimus Prime
    Incident: The waist is loose and does not come with the ratchet sound when you rotating it.
    Aftermath: Live with it.

5. MP05 Megatron
    Incident: The metalic paint on the arm was missing a large portion
    Aftermath: Live with it. And bought another MP05.

6. Alternator Shockwave (purple)
    Incident: It comes with a missing bar that make the front wheel move in a synchronised way. I was sidetracked to other toys when make this purchase and overlook this but spend time to check if there is crack on the windshield. I believe that seller knows about it but keep silent and later on I found out he is notorious in local due to his attitude.
    Aftermath: Live with it since I am not the only victim. Bought another set from an honest seller.

The list can go on and on.

My thought: I believe it is mainly due to QC issue, human error (overlook). But I just wonder if any of you always have this bad luck in getting a proper QC toy?

2. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I haven't had any QC issues, but a friend of mine bought a Generations Dirge and found the Decepticon logos on the wings hadn't been finished - they were missing detailing. He sent the Dirge to me (because I don't care about paint apps) and bought another one.

3. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    wow you have had alot of bad luck. I can think of only two instances of this happening to me, the screws on the arms of my animated shockwave were missing and more recently the paint apps on the head of my RTS perceptor where a little messy.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Later stages of Binaltech, i had fairly poor luck.

Shockwave had chipped paint.

Wheeljack's roof stripes were scratched to bits.

Red Alert, the mold was so messed up the back doors didn't close properly.

Way too many loose ball joints on Amimated toys as well... come to think of it, the QC on Starscream and Sunstorm was lacking to the point
    i didn't bother opening Skywar.

Over the course of some 650 toys, i guess that's not *too* bad.

Other toys...were just poorly designed from the start, or have very common problems.

TFC Jazz: Floppy. Original MP Starscream: plastic consistency on the brittle side.

ROTF Lockdown also seems to have very common problems with loose ball joints at the shoulder

Mp Convoy (Pre Mp4?) crooked left window on chest.

Pretty common issue i think.

5. RipCurl

RipCurl I just can't get enough!

News Credits:
    I thought i had made this thread and forgot about it , this always happens to me and its annoying -.-

6. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I had a ROTF Sideways that had the roof panel badly scuffed,and a bonus dead flea in the packet! Had the usual Henkei Thundercracker issues,and my MP Prime also has a crooked left window.

7. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I have been fairly lucky (knock on wood!). My classics rodimus's legs are really loose and have been that way since I opened him up a few years ago. My generations Kup had a stress mark right out of the package on the roof.

My henkei ramjet also had some paint issues on the face.

8. Sepultron

Sepultron .

YES.

I thought it was just me.

Admittedly, yes I'm very picky. But I swear every single friggin' TF I buy now is screwed up in one way or another.

This is ESPECIALLY true if I purchase the toy online: It's almost like the store goes out of their way to pick the very worst one out of the case for my order. EVERY TIME.

If by chance I do find something I'm looking for at retail: Trust me, I check it out. I've spent twenty minutes before (well, maybe) inspecting and comparing trying to make sure I selected the toy that seemed to be error-free, only to get it home, open it, and discover there is a huge flaw - worse than the ones I saw on the toys I left behind - on part of the toy that I couldn't see while it was still in the package. I've lost count of how many times this has happened.

Now I don't think we can, or should, expect absolute perfection. However for the ever-increasing price of these things it would be NICE if we could get a little bit more QC for our dollar. Maybe I'm not being realistic but I don't think it's too much to ask, seriously. Heck, for me personally I wouldn't mind (not 'like', mind) paying more for TF's if I could be guaranteed that I could grab any one of them off the shelf, or order any one of them online, and have it be something close to flawless.

Like I said, I thought it was just me, but then again I'm sorry to hear that others are having similar issues.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't help but notice that 50% of what you listed is related to the Master Piece series.

In all my years of collecting, I only have experience 2 incidents of poor QC:

1. MP Megatron suffering from cosmic rust; and
    2. MP Rodimus paint scrape on spoiler.

TakaraTomy should stick with main stream toys because the high end toys can't "cut" it! X)

Sorry to read about your "bad experience" and the seller was plain dishonest. That's why I prefer not to buy from private sellers unless its from an ebayer with good feedback and even then it can be risky.

I had a bad experience from a local seller in my country also but it was non "Tf related". The seller claimed it was a "version 2" but upon further checks it was a "version 1". Practically caught him with his pants down and he was so shamed face. The irony is that he's a regular poster on this boards now! LOL!

10. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

So far, the worst I've had is loose joints, knock on wood.

Now other toy lines, that's a different story.

11. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

My Generations Kup has pretty bad scuffing on his roof for some reason.

12. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I saw a set of PCC I wanted and couldnt find but sadly the only one I found was missing paint and chipped parts.

13. Kadrin

Kadrin Well-Known Member

Oddly I always used to get good luck with figures...

When I used to order cases with one of my friends, his figures would have missassembled legs, sloppy paint apps, and exposed screws while mine didn't.

We both ordered GF Soundwave and Mirage and his were a mess that required dissassembling, while mine were both totally fine.

I even used to seem to get figs that were reknowned for being crappy like BT Prowl and Generations Prowl and had no issues.

Recently however my lucks changed...

My RTS Windcharger required a dremal just to free the limbs from flash, and had glue all over the head and chest.

Several of my PowerCore 5 packs have had to be dissassembled and filed down to remove mould lines, and have had atrocious paint apps.

Plus numerous figures with the arms the wrong side, huge cuts and scrapes in them, and being in pieces in the packaging.

So to me it seems to be a recent quality control thing, worryingly I have been buying less and spotting more issues when in the past I got more and saw way less quality control issues.

14. cosmos360

cosmos360 Not a door bell

It's rare that i have bad luck with Transformers, but i'm cursed with everything else in my life.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    its rare for me to get QC bad enough for me to care. The only one that was so bad that I have to mod it myself was jetfire ROTF, because I didn't want to bother returning it.

16. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, dont be so harsh to yourself..there are always hope..only if we can hold on and wait

17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny you should mention this, because I just took Perceptor out of the box and noticed that his windshield peg and the slot it fits into are damaged.

[​IMG]

This doesn't affect the transformation, so I think I'll keep him. Beside, I chucked the receipt. ¬_¬

In the past, my Animated Ratchet's face paint was almost completely scratched off, Soundwave's chest wouldn't lock into place, Concept Camaro BB's hood wouldn't fold back down in vehicle mode and Classics Jetfire's right launcher was so badly cast, the missile wouldn't fit in the hole. I managed to exchange them all.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    When it somes to paint I usually don't care (unless it's a major problem...my first Wrech-Gar had huge paint chips on the face so I had to get another one).

Really the only QC issue I've had is from my Universe Dropshot...doesn;t have the ratchetting joint in its left hip so it's pretty floppy.

19. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Through the years of collecting I've had good luck. Fantastic luck until recently, actually.

The first problem I can recall is with Generations Kup. As others have mentioned he had stress marks in the roof right out of the package. Normal transformation seemed to make it worse, too.

The worst example is with Generations (Or maybe RotF? RTS?) Dirge. He has 2 right thighs. He transforms OK and will stand striaght up... but his left leg bends forwards very awkwardly. I didn't notice until after I had pitched all of the packaging and receipt.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I've had qc issues but very few thank the Lord.

I think the worst one was ROTF Arcee had a broken sword pop up mechanism.

Other than that ther have beed small paint issues here and there but for the most part I've lucked out.