Do you always buy the first use of a mold? Or do you sometimes wait to see a repaint?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Because I have to admit, sometimes the first use of a mold doesn't always excite me and I find myself passing on a toy to see what colors it gets repainted into to see if I like them better.

Is anybody else the same?

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'll buy every retail version of a mold, includeing awkward store exclusives.

Its nice to learn what the toy does hands on and be pleased with it. Then to turn around, see the repaint; then smile knowing how that figure's transformation works. And decide for yourself if they did a good job in refreshing the mold with a new deco.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    First use if it's a mold that interests me.

4. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    first use of a mold, usually, unless I'm not able to get it, and then later decide that I'd wanna' own a version of it...

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if its a new mold, i definitely get it...im a sucker for new toys

6. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's me too.

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I may wait if a mold is good but I don't like the deco. For example, I think deluxe RotF Ratchet looks like a good mold, but I have always hated his colors. So I will hope for a recolor down the line. I was going to pass on RotF Brawn until I realized I could make a nice custom of it.

8. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only has happened once and that was in the case of Energon Beachcomber/Cliffjumper. I knew BC was coming and as he was one of my favorites as a kid in G1, waited for his colors... incidentally enough I never saw a CJ in person either...

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always buy the first use, unless it's so horrible that I can't bring myself to.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it's a mold I like I'll buy the original and all of the repaint. If it's a mold I don't like I'll pass unless the homage is so great I can't pass up. Only one I can think off is ROTF divebomb.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    A deluxe Rescue Ratchet has been announced in the Wal-Mart listings topic.

12. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

If I really like the mold I'll get it when it first comes out, but there's been quite a few that I wasn't impressed with and then bought the repaints because I think they looked so much better..

RoTF Deluxe Dead End and RoTF Divebomb are two that come to mind.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I pretty much always buy the first release of a mold. Often because I don't know if any later versions would even turn up here and then if they don't I've probably missed my chance to buy that mold at all. I think the only one I decided to wait for a repaint was passing on Universe Prowl in favour of Silverstreak. And then I buggered that up a bit because I spotted Prowl half price and my want of a bargain beat out my patience waiting for a repaint. I still got Silverstreak later (half price too) so it all worked out fine in the end I guess.
    I also waited in hope of the blue version of TF:A Ultra Magnus but in the end imported one when I found out we'd only be getting the crappy Roadbuster version here in the UK.

14. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I usually pick up a new mold during the first run. If it's a great mold, then I will buy the repaint. However, the repaint must as good or better than the original. As long as they don't mess up the colors, I will definitely be getting the repaints of ROTF Bludgeon and Mindwipe!!!!!!!!!

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    ROTF Thrust (well, although he has a different head), but even if he had the same head as Breakaway, i love its colors much more, enough to not even having considered buying Breakaway in the first place, yet having thrust as one of my ROTF favorites. (I don't have many rotf toys though)

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

If it's a repaint of Ironhide or Bumblebee, I'll buy it because I collect those two characters. If it isn't one of them, then it just depends on how the redeco looks and what character it is: I have the LC ROTF Black Prime as well as the regular ROTF version. I'm thinking about getting Shadow Command Megatron even though I have the regular version because he would look neat battling that Prime.

17. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I usually buy the first one if its a new toy. If I have choices then and there I will look for the best one(s).

Good Example: Sidearm Sideswipe. I don't like the red flames. I really want the mold, but in Movie or g1 colors. Don't give him flames. Doesn't look right, nor does it fit in with the car.

18. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally buy the first version, and sometimes the second/third/whatever.

Sometimes, on occasion, I will wait for the repaint. I did this with Cyb. Galvatron and Movie Deep Desert Brawl.

I was going to wait for ROTF Thrust, but I was won over by Breakaway and bought him a couple of months before Thrust came out.

19. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

this /\

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Usually buy the first use if I like the look of the toy.

Classics Starscream was a huge disappointment for me. I thought the colour scheme was terribly bland and not even applied well. AND an insult to the Robotmasters Seekers.

However, because I'm a seeker nut, I couldn't pass Acid Storm. It was amazing the difference the colour scheme made. I've since gotten the Classics 2 Starscream and love that too. The first SS has been relegated to generic seeker role because his colour scheme while still bland, is sufficiently different to the more toon accurate and superior repaint.

It's amazing how a colour scheme can make or break a mold.

Cybertron Swerve looks much cooler to Cybertron Clocker whose colour scheme seems kind of odd to me.