Do you actually like the new toys or........

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TIE Bomber, Aug 18, 2009.

1. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

...are you just addicted & thoughtlessly caught up in "the thrill of the hunt"?

I've been caught up in collecting & totally addicted since the middle of Energon. But this year has cured me. I'm burnt out on the ROTF line. I bought Arcee & it's the worst TF I've ever seen. It doesn't even deserve to be a part of the Transformers brand. I don't know WTF Hasbro was thinking with that one. The ice cream truck isn't much better. Like Arcee, the alt mode is cool but the robot mode's are total shit! And I read Blaze Master & a couple others are total shit as well.

There's nothing else coming out for ROTF that I'm interested in. And there's nothing in the news lately except constant Igear & Fans Project garbage with a couple G1 reissues mixed in. I hardly bother checking these sites anymore because I know there won't be anything interesting in the news. Just 50 billion fan made Optimus Prime trailers & crap like that on the front page every day. I used to be into this heavily but I hardly go to the stores anymore. This year has just plain sucked! I hardly bought any toys so far. I bought the entire Energon, Cybertron, Classics, TF1 & Universe lines. Now I'm not buying hardly anything. And garbage like Arcee & Chromia go straight back to the store. I understand why kids prefer video games, I'm having a lot more fun with my new Xbox 360 than with toy collecting.

Except for a few deluxes, the ROTF toys don't seem to be selling. All the stores are loaded. It really looks like Hasbro can't handle this many properties. They have Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe & Marvel & their quality is going down the toilet at rocket speed. I hear Marvel Legends is shot thanks to Hasbro (I'm not a Marvel fan so I don't know for sure). Star Wars is just the same crap repacked over & over again & the new GI Joe ROC line is bland & boring. Majority of the figures are black, no color, nothing that stands out from the rest except Flash & Storm Shadow. ROTF Arcee is major sign that they need to step back, take a deep breath & make some adjustments. I can't wait to see the fans try to combine the 3 bikes, that's gonna be the funniest thing.

I'm ready for Universe to return. But I'm afraid Hasbro will fuck it up somehow. Just look what they did to Galvatron & Octane.

Anybody else losing interest like I have?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Quitter.

Oh, and I love the way that when TF collectors can't find stuff in shops it's because Hasbro's distribution sucks, but when there's stuff they don't want it's because no one is buying this crap!!!11!!11eleventy!!!

3. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

I absolutely love the movie toys. I like Animated, the activators one only. So, old ones likle G1 are always great, but the new ones, the more interesting are the movie toys, for me.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I tend to be picky in what i buy

5. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I like them.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't like the new ROTF toys, save Hoist, Lockdown and Bludgeon. I'm buying up old stuff and earning interest on the cash I have saved.

I'm waiting for the Generations book exclusives, some of the fan company toys, Device Label Blaster, TFCC Punch/Counterpunch, some of the Universe store exclusives and some of the last of Animated. There's plenty on deck for me. :) 

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm choosy about what I buy, but I can't agree with a lot of your comments. First, as far as the ROTF line goes, it does have some stinkers, but it has some winners to. And that pretty much goes for all lines, including Energon and Cybertron. If you went and bought all of Energon and Cybertron and most other things leading up to ROTF, then you just may be burnt out from over buying and under appreciating. That's not Hasbro or the ROTF's fault. You just kinda overdosed the past few years, and there is nothing wrong with becoming pickier as time, money, and space goes by.

Aside from that, as a whole, this year has provided me with two of my favorite molds- MP Grimlock and ROTF Leader Prime. I can't even remember another year where I can say that, besides maybe '84.

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Most I don't, but I do like some of them, and I buy only them, I'm not usually the type to buy something because of being caught up in hype

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    The ONLY thing that indicates is that the stores have them in stock. Just because a lot is on the shelves doesn't mean that its selling any more than it means that they're selling so well that they're restocked every hour on the hour. Sure, it's possible to determine which one's aren't selling so well (per Shelfwarmer theory), but its in no way an idicator of the success of the line overall. And the sales figures seem to indicate success.

10. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Heh, no offence, but you went exactly the opposite way of mine : I hadn't been into TF toys for 20 years since G1 and I was mainly a gamer, but imo, games kinda suck now compared to last gen. So, I sold my PS3 & Xbox360 in favour of the new TF toys.

Since the 2007 TF1 movie, the new designs resparked my interest in TF toys again, and the new ROTF toyline gives me the same exciting feeling as G1 1984/85/86 toys back then.

Yeah, I agree that the bike bots such as Arcee, Chromia & Wheelie suck, but the rest is total WIN for me.

Sorry to hear you lost the fun in TF collecting...

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i love the new toys, hell i'll take any transformable toy i can get my hands on

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I like the new toys just as much if not better than some of my older TF's.

Then again, I love the G1 Duocons and my original Armada Hot Shot simply because they suck, so make of that what you will.

13. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I love the Universe 2.0 line, and will regard them as "new". They might have some stinkers, but when they're good, they're damn good. Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Hound, Prowl (and his repaints), Inferno, Cyclonus, it goes on and on, and I hope for this to continue next year.

As for the upcoming "rotf" toys....well....I'd rather Hasbro had used the time and money to make more in-movie characters (Scrapper, Overload etc), rather than poorly masked toys that are clearly intended to fit into both the Universe and the Movie line, but will no doubt fail at both. Besides the forthcoming Animated line, I don't see the rest of the year being too good. At least there's plenty of older releases to keep me going.

14. AMG

AMG Old School

I like new toys, but I get no pleasure from "the hunt" at all (collecting Star Wars in the 90's burned me out on that). I've bought hardly anything from RotF, but Animated saw the most money from me since Beast Wars.

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I buy them because I like them, plain and simple. If my local stores are behind, I'll jump on the internet and catch up via one of the many online retailers that sell the stuff.

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    New toys rule.

17. handsomedevil

handsomedevil Member

I bought a few of the first movie's toys, but didn't open them. I got a Universe Prowl with a giftcard, opened it and fell in love with Transformers all over again. I've opened everything since (including RotF) and I have enjoyed them all quite a bit!

18. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

Really, those are two of my favorite figures from this line, i mean sure the twins are short but its not that bad.

I actually do like the new toys, it's something about their design that I just like.

19. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

I must agree that most of the ROTF toys suck. I have a total of 7 movie toys from both films total, and dont care for them all that much. But I don't mind the haitus in Universe/Classics/Animated, as I've been collecting a few other things, like Busts, Quints and City Commander armor. I even picked up Henkei Inferno and Sideswipe from a local flea market. If you don't like what's out there, enjoy what you have and welcome the break in spending.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why wouldn't I like 'em? Their engineering and sculpt gets better everyday!