Do We Want Another Transformers Anime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Heliblade, May 13, 2017.

?

What Studio Should Make A Transformers Anime?

Poll closed May 19, 2017.
  1. Sunrise

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Aniplex

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Production I.G

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Funimation

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Other

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. valisihaud

valisihaud A Troll Among Men

That's not what I was I implying there is a noticeably difference in the mentality used in the creation of animated series, TakaraTomy seems prioritize appeal to just children and selling toys while Hasbro funded series may the same goal it's clear on occasion that they are at the very least trying to create a series of quality that can be enjoyed by all demographics.

2. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Well-Known Member

the funny & sad part is parents in Japan is sometimes oblivious on what show is targeted towards kids, as of recent one of them managed to filed a complaint on the brutal violence in Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, as in a show literally titled 'Iron-Blooded ORPHANS' & being a Gundam series meant to portray the horrors of wars, being a war drama, unless these parents got confused it for the lighter Gundam series in the likes of the SD series or Build Fighters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I could go for that. I've yet to watch an episode of Avatar but I do like Voltron tons.

4. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I don't think it's they don't have the balls for it more than it is that's a lot of money (like, the budget for an original Transformers new series "a lot") to do and I imagine it'd be hard to justify that kind of cash for a thirty year old cartoon. Yeah, they remastered the animated movie but it's so beloved they know people will buy it/they'll get their return.

EDIT to add: Unless you meant an all new animated series using the old scripts as a base to streamline and get the lore right then yeah, that'd be pretty cool. I'm assuming it would be designated the official canon series that eventually will put in place all the various continuities as well much like the IDW comics do? Again, that'd rock.

When I first read your post, I thought you meant going back an remastering the original episodes but it sounds more like you mean doing G1 again but getting it right.

5. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

To be fair, that's not the best barometer because Transformers have almost always fared better in multimedia than the Joes (part of that I think is due to Transformers being more universally appealing).

6. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

I mean, Powermasters and powerlinking is after all nothing but Optimus going Super-Saiyan... :D 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

Who says another attempt has to begat the same results?

8. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Certified Mama Luigi

Because other then Optimus being in the show, it's basically indistinguishable from any other generic super robot anime?

9. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

No, no, no, and no. I can't think of a single quality story derived from any Japanese source when it comes to Transformers. KISS Players and the Unicron Trilogy? Headmasters? Ugh.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

That's like me saying "watch the live action movies and decide if you want more" speaking for all fiction that came out of the US
    What about Victory? Masterforce? Beast Wars II? have you ever tried watching the Unicron Trilogy in Japanese rather then its crummy dubs?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Single Elegant Machine

Somehow I doubt overacted Japanese voiceovers can save Energon.

12. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

"overacted"
    yes, because you've watched it right?
    I won't tell you Superlink is good, its better then Energon but still kind of bland. but saying there are no good Japanese TF shows is incredibly dumb

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. valisihaud

valisihaud A Troll Among Men

It's not that there is different actors that make Superlink better than energon it's because the script was padded out with verbal fluff instead just resynching new the audio with the lip flaps and that Superlink didn't skip over the most vital episode to the meta-plot which concluded character arcs and was essential to the overarching narrative.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Single Elegant Machine

If you believe said overarching narrative is worthwhile, I won't make any attempt at persuading you to think otherwise. Lord knows I defend Beast Machines from baseless critiques enough to find your position exasperating.

All I'll say is that I'm not particularly fond of the giant robot and sentai tropes so often infused into their Transformers fiction. Beyond the superficiality of that, I didn't feel the stories (of the Unicron Trilogy) did anything particularly groundbreaking with the property, although I commend it for not simply being a rehash of G1.

15. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    As long as it's traditional animation. Say what you will about the G1 cartoon. But the eps with the better animation had a personality that cgi lacks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Yeah I meant a tottal remake.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yes.

I regret ever saying anime should be banned from Transformers just because Hasbro screwed up Armada so bad. Later when I watched the few Micron DVDs I have, I actually quite enjoyed it. It's very much in more modern G1 style of animation. Bring that back. Even if it has to have the silly stock transform footage.

No more dreary and super limited polygonal crap like PRIME please. Or the stylization and horrible hamfisted dialogue of current RID trying WAY too hard to be funny and wacky. Animated was stylized and wacky too, but Wyatt had a special gift that made that work.

Just bring back basic anime style at the very least.

• Like Like x 4
  18. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Yes, but the real question is how should it be done?

1. Regular children Anime; the way how Transformers Anime had always been done in Japan, and ironically, it is also how it had always been done in the west. The main difference is that nowadays Japan tend to dumb down the Transformers series to make it even more kid friendly.

2. Serious adult anime; IDW style. I can see this being made as an Anime movies or short videos. However, is this profitable to be marketed if it were to be made as an Anime series? Also, I find it hard to watch an Anime series with the main cast being completely robots; the Beast Wars Anime kind of works because of its silly nature.

Since I am in the opinion that most fans hate the kids hanging around the Transformers; would it be better to have bad-ass adults? Imagine Spike riding in Bumblebee. As Bumblebee transforms, he ejects Spike out of the him. Spike then shoots a few Decepticons in mid air with a laser gun, then follows to strike a cool pose with Bumblebee. Is this acceptable? Kind of a Cowboy Bebop style for the humans with a Transformers theme. Also, every popular anime need some amount of fan service; meaning boobs and booties. No, Arcee will not suffice...

An Anime like this will completely change the demographic for Transformers if it becomes popular, and I think Hasbro will not allow it to become mainstream. There was couple of Marvel Anime made in recent years, and I believe the general reception was bad...

19. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

That's not the only type of fanservice.

Armada, for instance, had loads of it by reusing so many (mostly G1) character models that people over here ate up.

Signal Lancer himself is a pure fanservice character. There was no point to him otherwise.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Correct, but...
    There's a difference between fanservice and a recurring gag. :p