Do we really need diecast?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i havent picked up any titaniums yet, but from everything im hearing, the 6 inch line doesnt seem to be all that amazing...and from the ones ive seen at retail, they all have paint flaws, which drives me nuts...so, my question is why the return? i know its a good throwback "the lost art" as BW primal pointed out, but it just seems like its useless...especially since all the toys so far seem deluxe size in height...id much rather have them in plastic and pay 10, as opposed to diecast for 15...do you think hasbro would ever do a split run? some diecast, some plastic? then both sides could have what they wanted....

and i feel the same way about the binaltech stuff too...i want a few of them, but worry about the diecastness...love the alternators though, that plastic goodness is just fine for me...

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd rather the six inch titaniums be all plastic too. Just personal bias on my part.
    The 3 inchers on the other hand, rock my socks.

3. Colossus Prime

Colossus Prime Worshiping the Matrix

For posing purposes I'm happy with my WWI Prime, however as a transforming toy it is indeed handicaped by the die cast parts. If it were more high quality plastic it could have locking mechanisms to solve all the problems with joints that just flop this way and that. So if these were being designed as display pieces, then I'd say they can keep with it, but they're toys to be played with.

So yes they should do away with the die cast, unless they can figure out a way to make it less flimsy. Fortunately I don't know of any more coming out that I really want.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I disagree. If they were plastic, I wouldn't touch 'em. Diecast is a gimmick to attract collectors, and it sure as hell works for me. I'm willing to put up with a lot more flaws in the optimus prime mould than I would if it were plastic. Paint chips and smudges on metal give it character. Paint chips and smudge on plastic anger me.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not on the brand new Binaltech you just took out of the box, they bloody don't.

6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's an inescapable truth that metal looks like metal and plastic looks like plastic. Many people (myself included) enjoy the look of metal and are willing to sacrifice a small bit of play-ability to gain a small bit in display-ability. It's just a preference thing, and I think it's nice that Hasbro is making some metal figs for those of us who enjoy it.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Jetfire and Thundercracker are VASTLY better than the first wave. The diecast gives a much different aesthetic that plastic cannot replicate. The new ones have mitigated many of the issues that using diecast creates. There are pics and reviews in the feedback thread here and here for your perusal.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm not worried either way, but I prefer plastic.

9. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I would love to see the 6" titaniums have a second release in all plastic. I really love the designs, but the metal just makes the toys to heavy to work correctly.

10. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WWOP is phenomenal, thanks in no small part to the diecast chestpiece.

The 3" figures though, do absolutely nothing for me.

11. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Colored plastic does not have the rich color of painted metal. Besides, diecast gives a toy heft. I like toys that I can blugeon people with.

12. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

A part of me says plastic would of been good too, I would of still got them regardless. it took a few week to fine a WW prime and megs without any paint chip on them, makes it kinda frustrating when your there to buy one and all of them have chipping while their MIB.

13. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Do we NEED Diecast? No
    Do I like diecast? Yes.

Diecast gives a toy that special...heft, for lack of a better term. A diecast toy feels better in your hand. It's got that coolness when you rub it against your skin that plastic cant imitate. You need to paint metal and cant cheat like you can with colored plastic. And painted metal always seems to look better then painted plastic (Or it doesnt until it starts flaking anyways)

14. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Would not painted plastic oook the same as painted metal....and would that not make that particular argument moot?

15. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

You'd think that, but it never seems to be the case. To be fair, it's not really an inherent quality to the metal that makes it paint better, but they seem to use less 'shortcuts' with painted metal.

16. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Since I used to keep everything sealed it never made a difference to me either way. On the other hand, I think that diecast adds to the durability (excluding paint of course) of a toy.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    No, I don't think we need diecast. In fact, I think abandoning it was one of the best moves Transformers ever made as a toyline. Losing all that weight freed the toys up to be a lot more poseable and durable. Ball joints just don't work with diecast, and a figure can pull a lot more poses if it doesn't have to worry about balancing the weight of the metal.

At the same time, I won't deny that there is a certain thrill in picking up a nice, hefty diecast Transformer. Even with all of his flaws, WW Optimus Prime is a fantastic little figure, who looks amazing next to his 20th Anniversary counterpart. And Jetfire, with proper ratchet joints and a less chippable paint job, is great.

Diecast works great in a sideline like the Titaniums, but for durable toys that are intended for extensive play, plastic is the only way to go.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    If they made Titanium Optimus in all plastic, it would look like a knockoff compared to the metal one for the reasons Caterwaul described. Hasbro will never paint plastic except for minor details. Therefore it will always look hollow and thin.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Personally I don't care about the diecast one bit. It was cool in G1 and the Reissues, but they were unposable bricks so it was pretty much a solid body of metal with plastic limbs, nothing much to hinder playability. The weight of the modern diecast stuff is cool, but I just don't like the looks of paint chips and flaking, which I know is a wide unfair generalization but it's why I was perfectly happy buying Alternators opposed to Binaltech (not to mention the fact they're cheaper but thats a whole other argument). I haven't touched the 6" Titaniums because they look horrible to me, not because they're discast or plastic.

20. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

No we don’t need die cast, a lot of us don’t even want it, its far more fragile than plastic, paint chips, makes the toy expensive and heavy, hell I would re buy every titanium I have if they were put out again all in plastic. Oh and die cast might be metal but it doesn’t feel like a strong metal to me, I haven’t worked with many but to me die cast feels a lot like what really cheep horrible tools are made of, so it adds nothing to how real a TF feels as I would imagine them to made for much better materials, so if I’ve got to pretend a TF is made of some thing different than it is I would rather go for the cheaper more durable option and it being lighter doesn’t hurt none either.