Do we REALLY need a new TF series/toy line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MACRAPTRON, Sep 25, 2009.

1. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having Classics, TFA and movie toys at the same time fighting for room in toy isles was a very stupid move back in 2007/08 IMO. Do we really need that again? ROTF is amazing, and I'm already missing Henkei/Classics. What do you guys think?

I'd rather have new ROTF/Henkei/Classics toys until the 3rd movie instead of a new TFA or something.

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The more the merrier. I'll take as many lines as Hasbro can afford to do and still make money. I love collecting.

3. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I'm runnin' out of shelf space, so I really don't know if I could fit another line in there. So I'd just be happy with Classics, a few here and there.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This.

5. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Seconded.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Seeing as Universe is more or less done, it's mainly just the movie line with a few Animated figures out now. But neither of those lines will last more then a year and the next movie probably won't be out for another two years. So we'll have that 6-8 month gap at the least with no new products. So either bring back Universe for a short spell or come out with a new line of Transformers to run alongside the movie line.

7. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Although I loved have three choices of aesthetics at once. I can see where you're coming from, but there is a problem with what you're saying.

What about fiction?

Hasbro hasn't really shown any interest in making a full cartoon for Universe.
    I'd have a hard time keeping interest if there was nothing on TV.

8. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    We at least need classics back. As for ROTF each to their own.

9. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    I just want new TFA.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First, I won't pretend to have insight into selling toys at retail, or an understanding of market saturation for toys, or the impacts of having multiple iterations of a brand on the shelf simultaneously. /disclaimer

But I think having the remarkably different styles of the movie and TFA on the shelves at the same time was brilliant. You're hitting every demographic, you're appealing to multiple style preferences, and you're just demonstrating a lot of variety in the line.

While I love Universe/Classics dearly, I always felt like they should have been branded as part of the movie line. Anything movie-related sold like gangbusters, and the Universe stuff has no fiction to support it anyway. From my (admittedly limited) perspective, two distinct variants in the brand are great; any more and you start creating confusion.

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thirded.

Even though I don't collect ALOT of what's in stores, I still love to see all of those toys on the shelves. I felt like a little kid again browsing through all of the ROTF stuff. Although I only have 2.

12. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I'm truly hoping they continue the Classics/Universe line. There are so many characters that need to be updated into this line. I agree that we do need a new animated television series, but I hope it's designed to fall in with the aesthetics of either the first Animated toy series or with the Classics toy series because I don't know if I can handle another completely different look on my shelves (G1, Classics/Universe, Animated, Movie).

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see a need for a tv show with attached toy line until AFTER Hasbro gets that network up and running.
    in the meantime, Universe could expand somewhat when RotF putters out.

Kinda wish- and have said this for a while- they would take the term "Universe" seriously and offer a truly awesome, one of a kind, from out of left field mold from a part of the fiction we haven't seen.

In lieu of a show based line. just sayin'.

14. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rotf will end soon enough. I highly doubt the new show would start while that line is still going on. We have no date on when universe will return and animated is kinda a limited release deal

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes we do, movie line isn't my thing at all, and i would be happy with universe only, but another toyline is probably what we are going to get, and i will be very happy with something new

16. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    As a marketing guy, ams hit the nail on the head - it's about diversity and keeping several audiences engaged at once.

Myself, I collect mostly G1. I do, however, pick up pieces here and there from other lines as they come out. I have some TFA, Classics, and Binaltech figs but most of them are given to me as gifts. So, honestly, outside of the marketing aspects, I really don't have a preference as to how many lines are out at once.

Besides, with all the secondary/online retail outlets, most (if not all) TF lines are available for purchase at the same time anyway (albeit somewhat limited to the collectors/latecomers market).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  17. Cheez Doodle23

Cheez Doodle23 Plastic Crack Club Member

News Credits:
    fourthed . . . . yeah, what they said. I love collecting

18. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    fisted!
    no wait,
    fifthed!

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They can stop making TFs whenever they want. I'd be more than cool with that, and so would my wallet.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Sadly, Hasbro will most likley come out with a whole new continuity series, complete with cartoon, when ROTF sales start to dwindle. Animated is finished (sadly), and Universe is NOT going to keep the Transformers name afloat on its own without a cartoon. We probably won't see a new cartoon for a while, though, with how strong ROTF is doing, and Hasbro just may go ahead and wait for the target market (5-12 year olds or something like that) to shift into the next crop of kids before going into another continuity reboot.