Do we need Another Prequel?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, May 18, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Earlier this week I was watching an add for what looked like a prequel to the Xmen.

Seriously, do we really need another prequel? What is it with all these prequels that are popping up everywhere? Why not just start from the beginning?

Actually for the Xmen, wouldn't the comic-books count as a prequel? Or am I misunderstanding what the movie is about? Perhaps not a prequel of same known characters, but showing how they developed from childhood or something like that? But if it is another prequel, I don't get it. I mean sure it's great to get the story of how it all started, but why not start from there instead of the middle of the story? It seems ever since Star Was did their prequels, prequels have becoming popular in Hollywood. Anybody else noticed this?

2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The Xmen Comic Books are not canon to the Xmen films

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    And the general audience is possibly not fond with X-Men comics and canon.

4. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    and yet they won't make a Deadpool movie

5. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

the xmen franchise is so broken at this point that you can almost view first class as a soft reboot and a beginning, not a prequel. but yes, I agree with you, once a franchise is established, the "hot" thing to do is a prequel movie. what i dig about the marvel/avengers movies is that they start from the beginning and move forward.

all that said, the new xmen has potential to be the greatest xmen movie yet. I wasn't a fan of most of the xmen movies having grown up on the cartoon, except 2 which i thought was phenomenal. hopefully first class brings some of the legitimate drama between magneto and xavier from the cartoon (and i'm sure the comics) to the big screen.

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So this probably isn't the right place for me to say that I'd love to see a Star Wars prequel that focuses on Qui-Gon Jinn in his younger days, training Obi Wan & such?

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Except for that whole pesky, Captain America movie, right? ;) 

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't get the big deal. Before Star Wars, prequels were fairly rare. Even after Star Wars prequels are still fairly rare.

I'll never get the "Do we need" mentality when it comes to movies. Of course we don't need any of these movies. Hell, we don't need movies. Even the question of whether we want these movies doesn't really matter. The question is whether these movies will make the studios money.

And I'd like to see a list of all these supposed prequels that are "popping up everywhere." I think they're a lot less than the OP is imagining.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    X-Men and Spider-Man are still "owned" movie-rights wise by Fox. Thus, you get shitty "prequel" stories and "revamps" all the time.