Do transformers grow with age?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Suchus Prime, May 1, 2011.

1. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

It would explain why tfs like Optimus, Sentinel, and jetfire are so large and why tfs like the Jazz and bumblebee are not as tall (or where, poor jazz :cry ) . I just want confirmation on this theory.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I doubt that's the only reason. Jazz is probably not younger than BB, despite being shorter. Same with Sideswipe. Some bots are short, some aren't. Can they grow? probably not like humans, but as they age their bodies probably alter, or they make alterations themselves.

3. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    It might be possible. But it might also depend on the size of there alt mode.
    Or some bots are naturally bigger or smaller than others.

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The Decepticon hatchlings implied they grew with age, though "mature" Con size seems dependent on role. Frenzy and Dr. Scalpel are tiny --smaller than the hatchlings-- though obviously well experienced in their craft, where being tiny is an advantage.
    Of course, there are all sorts of weird things going on with the Cons (animalistic TFs, copies, possible lack of Spark/sentience in some, weird little (or giant) gribbly things, etc.). Perhaps Frenzy and the Doctor are part of a sub-species, or the Decepticons heavily alter their troops instead of letting them "grow naturally".

The Autobots at least seem to get larger with age. The childish Twins are the shortest, the I suppose "cocky 20-something year olds with something to prove" like Sideswipe and BB are medium-small, the well experienced Ratchet and Ironhide and medium/large, and so on and so-- uh, except that old Q guy is rather short. Hmm.

5. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just robot genetics. And to barricade: Wouldn't that involve mass shifting and isn't the movieverse against that?

6. protonpackin

protonpackin Well-Known Member

i think their bodies grow in a sense or more so alter as they age, as far as size goes i imagine they are like humans...there are tall ones and short ones, big ones and small ones...just like they all have individual personalities

7. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much with this. All humans, and Cybertronians, start out small, then grow, some just happen to be luckier than others.

8. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

In TF:p rime BB wanted to "grow up" and become a soldier class rather then a scout class.

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Decepticons calls Wheelie and those his size or smaller Scrap Drones. Most are built around infiltration. (Wheelie, Frenzy, Alice and maybe Reedman)

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This. My older sister is shorter than me. Heck, I'm the tallest in my family, despite being the youngest. Different sizes for them just like humans have different sizes for different ages due to various reasons. It's a very interesting concept to think that they do "evolve" naturally, but can also make modifications to themselves. It's a weird and contradictory balance between "how does a machine grow?" and "well, they are organic beings to some extent, just...robotic". And of course, the concept of "Hatchlings" only further complicates things. But this is a very cool question. :) 

If I may copy one of my comments from a previous thread regarding Optimus' new abs...

"These are highly advanced, autonomous alien robotic organisms that are sort of a combination of machinery and organic beings. They "breathe", they have fluids, they can "evolve" over time, just like other creatures. The difference between designs like The Fallen and Optimus. Do you think Optimus was just born looking that way? Was he born with window-boobs, and striking a dramatic pose? Was he unpacked from his box while Daddy Prime and Mommy Prime attached the rivets and ball-and-socket joints to make the "Ultimate Optimus Prime Model"? Optimus Prime looks different than Orion Pax, and Orion Pax looks different than he was when he was first brought online. That's the biological standpoint of mine. And then one has to consider the less biological view too: Are you wearing the exact same clothes right now as you were last week? Last year? Five years ago? Is your hair styled the exact same? Are you taller than you were 10 years ago? Fatter? Skinnier? More muscular? I bet that you look at least slightly different now then when you first saw Transformers however long ago. We change. Sideswipe's now a convertible with a spoiler. The equivalent of losing a few pounds and getting a tatoo. Ratchet's got a new paint job = he's wearing a completely different set of clothes. Optimus' abs? He's physically maturing. I'm sure that given a few thousand years, The Twins would probably end up looking a little more mature and heroic once they 'grow into their bodies'. It's like robo-puberty. These characters grow and change the same way that humans do. Heck, I'm sure Sam's gotten some more muscle since his grade 11 presentation on his great-great-grandfather. Why can't Prime?"

So, in short, I want to say that, yes, Transformers change with time. Not necessarily continue to grow larger as they age, but they do change, just like other creatures.

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I don't think the movie verse is against mass-shifting when we've seen the All-Spark shrink from a colossal size mass to a small hand-held cube.
    I think that scene alone was trying to imply mass-shifting without actually saying so.

12. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

If this theory is true, I highly doubt that Frenzy is a toddler and Scalpel/Wheelie are just-borns. :redface2: 

13. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Listed under D.

TRANSFORMERS Glossary
    DRONES

DECEPTICON scouts specifically designed for tasks such as salvage, reconnaissance and infiltration. They are often teasingly referred to as SCRAP DRONES by their larger DECEPTICON brethren due to their small size and lack of firepower.

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Not really, the one hatchling that Starscream held in RotF was as big as Barricade, maybe a bit shorter.

15. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yet they had the Allspark mass shift in the first movie.
    As far as growing, I don't think movieverse TFs do. Age has nothing to do with size.

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I dunno..I don't think that age has smething to do with it.I think growing up means changing your design a bit (like Prime's stomach in DOTM)

this

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The Allspark is also essentially limitless in power and can create worlds an entire races of sentient, living machines at a whim.

Also it's obvious mass-shifting in the robots they're against, since a giant robot becoming something tiny would be silly.

18. optimus_tractor

optimus_tractor Well-Known Member

Maybe the robots just exist at different sizes, and increase or decrease their overall mass by small increments on a whim. Could explain BB's increased bulk. He never really changed in height, he just increased the size and number of certain parts and altered his body type.

I'd also like to propose that maybe a Transformer's spark increases in size over time and they have to add more parts to themselves to keep an equal amount of mass between themselves and their spark. I dunno.

I honestly don't think the director thinks too hard about it.

19. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    THIS.

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This topic is really tough because before Scalpel was shown, I had already learned that Decepticons are born and then become soilders, and if they live long enough, then they end up looking like Megatron or Starscream.

But then Scalpel shows up and I'm confused now..I guess there are an infinite number of species/robots that grow differently. Because Scalpel sure as hell will never live long enough to be like Shockwaves mass, he'd be squished way before that happens.