Do they make a limited number of "exclusives"?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ranoobu, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I was wondering.. when something says exclusive.. is there a limited production run? or have they been known to keep making them until everyone who wants one has one?

does it differ between companies?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Making them till everyone who wants one has one... hah! Now wouldn't that be a great thing...

The term exclusive usually refers to a figure only one retail store (or online store in rare cases) will be selling. In those cases they usually get a fixed amount, depending on how it's distributed. Ones that are shipped by themselves, like Robovision Prime, stores usually get a fixed number of cases and that's it, could be as few as two depending on how many are in each case. Ones that are mixed into assortments, like the Target Scouts or G1 repaints, tend to have higher numbers and are released for longer periods of time. In both cases, you're looking at anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10 the normal production run of figures that are mass retailed.

Ones like Alternator Rodimus, exclusive to shows, events, and websites, are in very limited numbers, usually in the thousands. While retail exclusives are produced to how many stores order, event exclusives are held to a fixed number produced.

3. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Wow. Thanks so much for explaining, Omegus Prime! I was wondering about some of the SDCC exclusives like the r2-kt. I have a small star wars collection to only stuff I like.. I don't want to regret not getting it later =D

Again, thanks for the explanation. that was really good.

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends upon the company and the distribution. For example, the sdcc rodimus is also being sold in south-east Asia.

You can also browse through the sdcc 2007 exclusives list here: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci07_actionfigs_1.php and see the production run numbers for most of the items, but it seems Hasbro left theirs out.