do they like being cars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jonatron26, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

do the transformers like having to be in disguise? and do ugly cars envy cool cars?

2. Blackout

Blackout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too add to your question,

I always wondered how the windshield glass never shattered when they transformed and walked around.

3. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

I know the Seekers like being jets. 8D

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I believe that at least one of the G1 Dinobots disliked his dinosaur altmode.

5. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

It could be made of some kind of transparent metal.

I think its not just about disguise but also transportaion.
    Plus theyr vehicle choices might be to theyr individual liking.

I would be an old VW van.That would be sweet.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Some do, some don't. Sunstreaker and Jazz, for example, seem to rather enjoy their forms, whereas Gears just complains about everything, his primitive car mode included.

Transformers seem to have some degree of control over their alt-modes, so I imagine they'd choose one that they like to some degree.

As to whether or not they like being in disguise, I'm sure there are more than a few who would prefer to be out in the open with humans, if they had their way.

7. newguy

newguy i

VW van or bus.
    If it's a van their called Vanagons.

If it's a bus what type, Split or Bay window?

I hate it when a non VW enthusiast want an old aircooled.

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Remember it's not just being in disguise, it's a functional alt-mode as well.

Sunstreaker obviously loves being a sleek sports cars. Blurr's alt-mode allows him to go faster than pretty much anything else ground-based known. Beachcomber likes driving along the beach, Powerglide loves flying, Motormaster adores running smaller things down, Snaptrap enjoys the incredible extra armour he gets, and so on.

Soundwave's alt-mode allows him increased communications and jamming abilities. Wildrider and the Battlechargers obviously enjoy being cars. The Constructicons can multi-task to an incredible degree as a team on a project because of their alt-modes.

The alt-mode is just as natural to them as their robot mode. To lack an alt-mode is to not be a Cybertronian to them, pretty much. Note that there are special terms for those who don't or can't transform, like mode fixation (I think) or being mode-locked. Transmutate was thought unsalvageable for several reasons, one of which was that it couldn't transform at all and had no alt-mode, not just a nonfunctional one.

It's evident, like humans and their clothes, that many Transformers prefer functional over good-looking. Do you think Ironhide or Thundercracker are big on appearance? Perceptor seems to prize his functionality when transformed.
    Sky Lynx, on the other hand...

Some of them even take pride in being ugly or strange-looking. Grotusque makes a joke of his looks, the Terrorcons enjoy being frightening, the Predacons seem to like the fear their appearance creates, and we all know Grimlock is in love with his alt-mode.

I'm sure some of them envy the lookers like Sideswipe or Starscream. Offhand, I can't think of any, but I'm sure they exist. Although really, there are many options for cosmetic changes for them, but the war sorts of means the resources for full-body overhauls are usually saved for vital emergencies.

There also seem to be a great many who are in the middle ground. Optimus Prime seems to certainly enjoy being a big-old mack truck, but he's not obsessed with it. The Decepticon mini-casettes seem totally ambivalent about their alt-modes, finding them functional, but obviously caring only about the unique functionality of being able to be stored as opposed to the looks of a tape.

Mark me down for "transparent metal" as well. I highly doubt Prime is storing the Matrix behind two big panels of polycarbonate.

- Coeloptera

9. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I know I would, being abe to change form at will and speed to my destination.. awesome.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

First of all, very cool topic.

Coeloptera makes some very neat points. I just finished reading a scene in the RotF prequel (no spoilers here because its only a prequel) where too characters a motorcycle and a truck are discussion adapting to Earth and why they chose their alt modes, it was rather cool.

An alt mode definately shapes a personality. Flying TFs Bot or Con tend to see themselves as "special" in a lot of ways. Thundercracker may not care about "being pretty" or anything, but he's contemptuous of anything that can't fly and would hate to be anything else. Silverbolt's fear of heights and his being a jet has always been a fascinating personality quirk to me. G1 Bumblebee has always been a compact because he's small, TFA Blitzwing literally has multiple personalites so he gets multiple alt modes. Tracks would stay in his alt mode all the time if he could he loves it so much. So much personality can be gleamed about at TF from their alt mode (either fitting them or being the total opposite of their personality). Makes you wonder what the poor traffic light from Cybertron was thinking, eh?

I think it's one of the most interesting and integrel aspect of what makes TFs unique as characters that I would love to hear more discussion about.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've wondered if any Transformers really regretted their alt mode?

Bumblebee: "Looked what I scanned."
    Prime: "Ooooh nice little car, suits you well."

Cliffjumper runs into the base: "Look, look, look what I scanned."
    Prime looks at Bumblebee then back at Cliffjumper.
    Cliffjumper stares at Bumblebee: "Motherfucker!"

12. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

This brings me to a subject that has always interested me about them: proprioreception.

For those of us who have no clue what this means, it's essentially the real "sixth sense" of the body that tells us where all of the parts of us are. It's why you can tell where you have your arm even when your eyes are closed. How does a Cybertronian's alt-mode affect theirs? When they're in car mode, do their bodies interpret themselves as a car or as a folded-up robot? When Sam and Mikeala made out on Bumblebee's hood, did he sense them as being on his car hood, or as being on his robot-mode chest?

Do the different parts of their body image get attributed to similar parts of their alt-mode, like sensing their headlights as eyes? I imagine transforming would be very physically disorienting the first few times around. It would be a combination of doing yoga and learning to walk. Useful but very odd.

13. Coeloptera

I would really have to go with a full-blown shift of proprioreception in alt-mode. For a flyer, anything else is tantamout to suicide. Your control surfaces determine your stability and direction in the air.

As a car, the positioning of your wheels and how much traction you're getting is also vitally important. Thus, their entire "body image" should be changing when they transform. What were Sunstreaker's feet are now the very front of his alt-mode, and where he likely senses the oncoming road, to a degree. Hun-Grrr's feet are now two heads, each with their own set of optics.

It may also very well not be confusing for them at all. Note that, in many depictions, newly created Transformers can transform immediately and instinctively. They are probably heavily designed towards the ability to do so quickly and efficiently, with minimal loss of function as they do so.

- Coeloptera

14. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

You make some very good points. That's most likely what happens, for precisely those reasons. However, it makes me wonder: what would happen if the systems associated with this malfunctioned? It could be infinitely worse than any body image problems humans get, I'm sure of that much. Imagine if your brain kept telling you that your head was in the wrong place, or that your other body parts were injuries. It would be terrifying.

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think in life and death situations they don't really care.............plus it beats walking

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Proprioreception - facinating stuff here. I didn't know what that was called before. And some injury that would mess with that would make a very interesting TF story. The headlights thing though I can't help but be reminded of one of the TFA shorts on the season 1 DVD.

Daniel: Where does your head go when you're a fire truck?
    Op: Well, it gets sort of...tucked in.
    Daniel: When you're a fire truck with your head tucked in how do you see?
    Op: (starts to give complex explanation only to realize he's staring at a bunch of blank-faced kindergarteners)It's...complicated.

17. Coeloptera

Well, we've sort-of seen it. It's been mentioned, every so often, that some triple-changers are so complex that, when stressed, they get stuck between modes.

That cannot be comfortable, just remember poor Octane in "Starscream's Ghost". I imagine the systems are so integrated into a normal Transformer that it would be insanely difficult to damage just those systems without practically tearing one apart. Think of it as a huge number of networked sensors, all over the frame, each one communicating with the processor (as our nerves do with our brains in our proprioreceptors) and telling it what is where. Transformers have so many moving parts, that it seems likely it wouldn't be just one "thing" you could point to and say "There, there is the center of body image.". After all, it isn't that way in our meat-brains.

Have you ever heard of the "cortical homunculous"?
    Cortical homunculus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our body is sort-of mapped out onto our primary motor cortex.

"The cortical homunculus is a visual representation of the concept of 'the body within the brain' that one's hand or face exists as much as a series of nerve structures or a "neuron concept" as it does a physical form. This concept relates to many neuro-biological phenomena including 'phantom limb' and 'body integrity identity disorder'."

Now, one area I can see that happening in is if you scan (or are forced into) a whole new alt-mode that is functionally different from your old one. Not a lot of fliers ever take land-based alt-modes, do they? Notice that normally, alt-modes have certain similarities within the same TF. Optimus Prime is a big ground vehicle on Earth or Cybertron. Skywarp is a fast, agile fighter craft. It is the rare Transformer who ever makes a dramatic shift. One of the only ones I can think of is the comic-based G1 Megatron from gun to tank. Even that is less of an issue, as his gun form was immobile, so he really didn't have to have much mapped to it at all.

- Coeloptera