Do the new Classic toy lines retools feels forced to you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Nov 8, 2010.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Do the new Classic toy lines retools feels forced to you? It kinda feels like they are trying to push out as many decent figures of important characters as possible using what new molds available. Let's take a look at what we have :

Cybertron BumbleBee to Cybertron CliffJumper : I don't have much to say about this one because it's a given and a reasonable retool so thumbs up for it.

Food for thought, CliffJumper used to be his own man, 2006 Classic BumbleBee started a new trend where BumbleBees have been repainted and / or retooled into CliffJumpers. It has also been generally well accepted by fans, kinda like the Seekers' syndrome. Will it become a trend for the other figures as well?

Turbo Tracks to WheelJack : From the pictures of Turbo Tracks I've seen, they definitely planned for WheelJack when designing this mold. I love the mold and I love the retool, it definitely represents WheelJack well, but I still feel abit unbalance about the entire thing. Its not like SideSwipe and SunStreaker who are brothers. Are Tracks and WheelJack related? Whats more, will WheelJack become the next CliffJumper?

But, it would be fun to see more Transformers made in this manner; designed with 2 or more characters in mind with different transformations.

DarkMount to SkullGrin : Unlike Tracks and WheelJack, even with a new head, SkullGrin just doesn't feels like it, it feels forced.

Perceptor to Reflector : I haven't seen any pictures of Reflector, but Reflector having the same alternate mode as Perceptor is just weird. At least Tracks and WheelJack are Autobot cars, and DarkMount and SkillGrin are Decepticons. But all is not confirmed, we may get something new, so I am looking forward to it.

I am not mentioning Inferno to Solar Storm Grappel because its a plus; they are giving us more than what's required.

I know throughout the years, there have been countless repaints of characters into different characters, but you can feel that some of the repaints are not meant to be taken as a proper figure of that character; just to sell more toys. But the Classic figures are meant to represent the character properly(Note : I do not count the random Classic repaints to obscure characters as proper. In my opinion, they still count as Classic representation of the character, but not a proper representation unless they are retools.).

I know new molds takes a lot of time and money to develop, and they always made the best out of each new mold. Hasbro / TakaraTOMY have always took their time to give us the best representation of each Generation 1 figure in every classic toy line, but this time round it just feels forced and rushed, its unlike them to do this many retools in such a short period of time.

Anyway, what's important is, we are still loving the new figures. :) 

I just know I am gonna get flamed. >.<

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    For me the bottom line is that retooling is better than just a repaint. So its a step in the right direction of compromising, whereas fans wants unique molds for each char, and companies wants to maximize profit for one mold. Retooling is a good intermediate compromise.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

They're no more "forced" than the bajillion retools of Sideswipe.

I think they're better for the most part.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm all for retooling instead of repaints. It makes each release of the mold much more unique.

And I agree that it's how they compromise with how fans always want completely brand new sculpts for every character while getting the maximum mileage out of a certain mold.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd rather they're planned in advance to be more than one character than just taking any figure and slapping new paint and/or head onto it and calling it someone else.
    Sure I'd love every character to have their very own mold, but we can't have everything I guess.

6. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    More repaints is the consequence of Wal-Mart refusing to pay any more for toys whilst demanding new case assortments every month or two.

Yes,some work better than others. At least we get new heads now.

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I'm not feeling the Darkmount to Skullgrin conversion either.

He'll probably be the first (and only, so far) Generations figure I outright skip.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Can't agree with you about Darkmount to Skullgrin, but Perceptor to Reflector is definitely forced to me. Should've been Perceptor to Magnificus instead.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    well i dont think there done to bad realy i mean they could have repainted bumblebee heaps of times and called them starscream lol okay now that ive had my fun serous time

the retools are a step in the right direction i was angry when i got cliffjumper and he had the same head as bumblebee only to find out there was an upgrade kit brought out far to late joining transformers on the net to get it

i have actuly asked fans project to re run this line as i think it will do well

i kinda got off track there im just glad there doing these characters and to be honest i think the reason why we have seen a non repaint verson of ultramagnus or springer or even a arcee or alphatrion is cause they maybe leaveing these characters to next run of the classics so we have some hard core characters to love and to be honest i would rather they spent time and got them right then rush them and get them so wrong

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Not at all. Redecos have always been present in Transformers, they may not be as present in other toylines. But generally from hasbro we get 2-3 decos of every mold throughout its lifespan. Sometimes divided by a few weeks in release or years.

It has been a non issue to me that I've accepted as part of transformer collecting. Redecos can make for obscure character homages, Even in fiction transformers animated justified redecos as standardized body types issued after protoforming. So its not uncommon for tfs with the same general issue mold to meet each other (wasp and bumblebee) and have vastly different characters.

Turbo Tracks to wheeljack was just clever. Much like sideswipe and sunstreaker. Its just a new head and deco that makes wheeljack work here. Wheeljack gets his diaclone wings as a result of the tracks character being the flying car.

Heck wheeljack can even hold the clip system rocket launchers as wrenches.
    Nothing is taken for granted and the character stylings are retained. If any thing the mold fits wheeljack better than tracks.

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skullgrin is about the only outright failure of this approach, in my eyes, and even then it's nice for big Pretender fans and people who don't like Straxus.

*looks on TFwiki*

An eHobby character? Really? I'm reserving judgment on Reflector till I see what they do with it, but that's a little too obscure.

12. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I am glad they are getting slightly retooled. Repaints without change don't really make a new character for me.

13. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well i like em you cant have a new mold all the time ya know

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The only ones I feel that way about are Skullgrin and Reflector. Nothing about the Straxus mold says "Hey! I double as Skullgrin", and although Perceptor's bot mode seems to be able to double as Reflector, the vehicle mode seems to say otherwise. Of course, you could just as easily say that about Perceptor's alt-mode, so perhaps that's a moot point.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Perceptor's alt-mode is suppose to be inspired by TFA Perceptor, who was a triple changer.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Remolds/redecos in general usually seem forced unless they represent characters who were redecos/remolds/mostly the same to begin with. Like others have said, I appreciate the effort and planning that go in now, where potential future releases are mapped out ahead of time (saves them money in mold-cutting, makes us happier that XX and YY don't have the same face.) and Hasbro hasn't done anything that seemed any more forced or contrived in repainting/remolding than Tomy-Kara or the TFCC/Botcon stuff.

Of most of the recent releases, Skullgrin seems kinda forced, given the Pretender design of the original. Blurr too, though less-so if I pound in the idea that it's IDW Blurr as opposed to original G1 Blurr. It's all about a 2 or 3 out of 10 on the care-o-meter though.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    At least he gets a new head.

But when it comes to repainting Darkmount, any existing character chosen would have felt forced because there has never been a Darkmount toy before, much less a previous toy that the character was repainted into in the past. And yet toys still have to be repainted.

However, I do agree that characters who were originally repaints should be repaints again; I would rather have Magnificus repainted from Perceptor because thats who the original Perceptor toy was repainted into.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Darkmount doesn't have much in common with G1 Skullgrin, but... what would an original mold updated Classics Skullgrin look like? He's not going to have a pretender shell, but hopefully would have a more defined alt mode. An alt mode that's something akin to a half-track artillery piece. So....

If Darkmount didn't exist, but Skullgrin was to be updated... it might be quite like the Skullgrin we are getting.

19. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

As long as the retool looks good, i'll buy it (like wheeljack). Nothing is "forced" on me.

20. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The new Classic toy line retools doesn't feel forced to me.