Do the movie figures have terrible quality control?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by NIDARAM12, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm paying attention more to the movie toys since they are alot "cooler" and more "serious" to me than other TF lines. Maybe its because they simply HAVE more detail and letters and parts than previous TF's...

However, I've noticed that it's near impossible to find a decent specimen of any movie toy.

-My Bumblebee is made up of parts from three different BB's, from three different stores. This was to swap parts with paint errors and deep slices from part removal. The first two had crooked Autobot logos, and looking at the two-packs, they almost all do.

-I went through 15 Ratchets at Walmart to find one where the FIRE DEPART MENT wasnt horribly crooked, and it still had a loose wheel and the side I couldn't see was wrong. I swapped that leg with another Ratchet, and took the "reject" one back. The new one had one of the light pipes bend and not going into the socket.

-For leader Prime, it comes down to rationalizing like: "SHIT I've looked through seven of these, what bothers me LESS, is it the scratches on the red shoulder or the knick on the blue leg.... i wonder which one I can pose to cover it up?"

-Barricade is a nightmare with all of his white paint and printed text.

-Every Jazz I've seen has bumpy pricks on his windshield, like dust in the paint or something. On my first one, the pin for his lower arm flap was shot through the center of the black swingarm, and on my second, the pin in the shoulder hinge completely missed the other half. He also had an abnormally large slice taken from under his door.

-Starscream #1 had places where it looks like the factory worker just TORE the part off the sprue, and he had dents in his upper thighs.

-Every Blackout within like 10 miles of me looks like a kid was fingerpainting on him...

And man, Unleashed BB is so amazing. probably the coolest, most detailed sculpted rendition of any movie TF (and one of the best ones too), but man, its like they put him in WET. I mean, almost the entire robot is painted yellow, and they are nasty looking. I just left the store empty handed after digging through the whole Target display...

I have had a near perfect record with all of my TF's up until the movie line... even Alternators.

Now, I'm driven mad by loose wheels, horrible paintjobs, assembly errors, defects- and the worst part is that you can only see 40% of the toy from the box (Transformation, other side, etc).

Is this a trend, or am I just horribly unlucky? The thing is, I LOVE each and every movie toy, and it's frustrating to have to make two trips to the store, disassembling toys in the parking lot just to have a decent specimen.

I figured I'd make this thread to see what everyone else thought and if any other picky collectors can relate :) 

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Out of all the movie toys I have so far (Leader Prime, Jazz, Bonecrusher, Swindle, Barricade, Wreckage, Ironhide, Starscream and Blackout) only *one* has any noticable problems. And that's Blackout. In addition to his hyperly annoying automorph feature, mine has this massive fingerprint on the edge of the cockpit window. At first I was contemplating on returning him, but once I 'fixed' (aka removed) the automorph feature and got him to TF back and forth correctly, the finger print didn't bother me as much. I'm not looking for perfection with my toys, but they at least have to work as intended.

3. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I guess I've been really lucky. The problems I have had:

RATCHET (voyager) - some paint wear on the lettering and a couple of loose parts at the rear of the vehicle.

BLACKOUT (voyager) - biggest problems with this one. Very loose shoulders, parts don't line up and automorph totally useless (design as opposed to QC problems I guess!)
    OPTIMUS PRIME (leader) - shoulders don't really lock all that well and the the wheels don't attatch to the back of his calves properly either.

Other than that I've had no trouble (and I'm only missing BONECRUSHER now!)

4. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I can't say as I've noticed any problems with any of my figures..And I've bought 2 and 3 of each. And I kinda have the wntire collection..I have both variations of the Bumblebee thing, with the 2 different length chest things..But, so far..No problems.

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Not a single issue with any of mine other that Blackout's autmorph gears not being lined up correctly.
    For the record I own - Leader Prime, Robo Vision Prime, BumbleBee, Barricade (both from the two pack), Blackout, Scorponok (also from the two pack), Jazz, Wreckage, Brawl, Bonecrusher, Ratchet, Ironhide, and Starscream.

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    My Wreckage had some gold paint wiped off the lower right side of his head. I just need to match the paint so i can fill it in.

My Bonecrusher had his right leg super glued at the knee joint. I got it free and now his knee moves perfectly fine. I also had to knock out a pin on his lower left hand/wrist area and sand down both joining joint areas on the 2 parts so that his hand could flip out farther. I fixed that and now his hand moves fine.

So yeah, it takes a little work to make your movie toys work correctly.

7. Atlas

Atlas Supreme Commander

News Credits:
    I have no problem with any of mine except Bumblebee. He wont stay in car mode his chest wont stay in place.

8. TYS

TYS Autobot

I've had problems with Barricade,
    Just picked one up at weekend, got it home transformed him and noticed that there was a headlight missing,will be more careful in future because I should have noticed that in the packaging

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Out of the 6 that I have so far, I haven't had any problems with QC.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Having only the Protoforms and Wave 1 voyagers, this is my comment:
    Ratchet: Front wheels, both sides, the plastic piece they attach to is warped, both lean out to the sides, looks really bad from the front.

Blackout: I broke the Automorph within minutes trying to get the damn thing to align, chopper mode back falls apart pretty easy. Left foot; 1 'toe' is glued different to the other one, so his foot is wonky.

I havent got any of the others yet, but hope to get Brawl, Barricade, Starscream, Ironhide, Jazz (and either Scorpy or 70's BB) and one of the Leaders this week.
    (Birthday me!)

11. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Having sampled the movie line, the qc seems to be just fine. Paint can be hit or miss (especially red), hey this is Hasbro we're talking about. But overall I can't find a fault. If anything, the automorphing is wonky, I but can't necessarily say faulty.

12. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

My guys are good - the only trouble I have is that Arcee's kickstand is a little dodgy.

13. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I've had no problems with the movie toys, so far. I had quite a few QC issues with classics though.

14. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    For a Hasbro toy line...the movie toys have relatively few QC issues.

15. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Jazz looks like they didn't even bother to trim off the excess from the spruces on his hood, had to break out the exacto knife to get him alligned halfway properly
    My brawl's shoulders Will not stay input at all
    My bonecrusher has loose wheels, and paint defects
    Rachet, blackout and screamer all have shoddy paint

Out of all the lines I've collected so far this is the most defects I've come across, and for such an important line they should have been more careful.

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Haven't noticed anything wrong with the guys I have.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no more than previous lines i guess.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    The only thing I can complain about are the loose middle wheels on my Bonecrusher. Maybe loose isn't the right word to use, it'd better be described by the phrase "barely attached"

19. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

my jazz's head is very fond of failling into its chest, and its really annoying

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Man, I need to check out my movie toys to see if there's any crooked text or other problems. It won't bother me either way, but I'd still like to check it out.