Do the Decepticons seem kind of.... friendly?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autobot_Wall-E, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

I randomly started thinking about this today.

Now, I haven't seen ever Transformers cartoon/visual licensed product there is, but of the ones I've seen (G1, Energon Trilogy....) the Decepticons are kind of "B list" compared to villains in other TV shows (current or past).

It seems like they are consumed with stealing this energy source or destroying this human structure and almost getting away with it if it weren't for the Autobots who come save the day. In Teen Titans or Naruto people actually got hurt/even killed because of villain action. Not to criticize, but doesn't it kind of make sense?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Friendly? Hardly. They just consider humans below their notice more than anything else. Although I agree, compared to some other shows there does seem to be less peril to humans as a whole, but I think that might be because in other shows, there is a stronger human element.

Also, don't forget those shows you name are more modern, with a more modern view on death and the like. 80's shows, Robotech excepted, seemed to shy away from killing off humans even temporarily. And if you consider in those shows like He-man, the main characters occasionally would be hurt pretty bad, well, that's equivalent to your episodes like when Optimus Prime gets KO'ed and they need parts from Cybertron.

Granted the modern TF shows also keep this trend going, although the Unicron trilogy is a really bad example, since Armada took place entirely away from civilisation, Energon was mainly off-planet as was Cybertron. Robots in Disguise had the entire pre-pubescent population of Earth get held hostage by Megatron though, and there were more than a couple of episodes where cities got trashed.

Main thing is though, very few other shows have main characters who are robots, and if you for the sake of this argument consider the Transformers to be on a par with humans in some respect, then that's where your real "harm to the heroes from the villains" comes from.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IMHO Sol Fury pretty much covered this topic and he's right, comparing Anime' to the Transformers genre from the 80's and 90's truly is not apples to apples. For the time the series came out, the violence in them was sufficient, not like today's blood and gore depicted in many of the popular Anime' series.
    I'm not an expert myself, but I think the writers, producers and possibly Hasbro didn't want their Robots in Disguise to wind up be hated by children, otherwise there wouldn't be a toy line :thumb 

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

If you've seen the 86 movie, I'm sure the last thing you'd say about the Decepticons is that they're friendly. Megatron and the Decepticons not only brutally off the Autobots on the shuttle headed for Autobot City, but Megatron himself destroys his own lieutenant for treachery, albeit as Galvatron.

5. Flint

Flint Master of Useless Info

They Definately aren't anything close to the friendly type.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't forget the Ultimate Doom, where Megatron brings Cybertron into Earth's orbit without a care of what would happen to us poor little fleshlings. He even duped Prime into pulling the switch on the Spacebridge!

7. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

I see I worded the title wrong.

I didn't mean friendly as in "Oh can I hang out with you and be your best friend" friendly I meant less threatening.

And Sol Fury does have a good point. It makes much more sense now. Even Animated seemed a bit more rough with people dying or getting seriously messed up.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How the hell can you think that the Decepticons aren't threatening when they murdered a puppy?

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Friendly? Sure! Until that is you get back-stabbed.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Word.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Go watch Masterforce, particularly that episode where the Decepticon Junior Headmasters run riot in the city. Collateral damage out the wazoo.