Do TF's get resealed at factory/store...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by defstar, May 24, 2007.

1. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Got one for you guys...

Won two MISB TRU Reissues from ebay...so I get them in and both have been re-taped on both ends...the first taping obviously cleanly cut...seller says he purchased these straight from TRU like this...is it possible...?

The second tape used is the exact same as the first tape used and is nicely pressed down as the first...

Does Hasbro/TRU ever do this...?

2. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yes, sometimes. if I recall a lot of, if not all the hasbro re-issues were double taped.

3. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    A ton of the Voyager Class Classics are like this too. Especially Prime and Jetfire.

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Anyone else have experience with this...

I can understand if they put two pieces of tape on...but why would the first one be cut...?

Forgetting to put paperwork in the box maybe...?

5. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

....as part of the QC process, sometimes a percentage of the production run is re-opened and checked for flaws.

3 out of my last 4 Titaniums are the same, and there's almost no way they were re-taped outside of the factory - they came from a reliable online retailer.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yes, it's fairly common for factory re-taped boxes, especially for whatever reason both Takara and Hasbro G1 reissues. Collectors go batshit over this all the time for no reason. Most of the time it's still factory sealed.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

also

Also, at stores, they will crapily tape back boxes that are returned or that have been busted into, you surely could tell the difference, unless they are crafty about it.

8. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Alright...thanks everyone for your input...I'm calling these a factory QC check reseal...the tape looks the exact same type, press and age...

Thanks again...

9. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fairly sure my Hot Rod reissue was like that, and mine came fresh from a case. I've also had it with a bunch of stuff from Japan, mostly re-issues, though I think Masterpiece Convoy may have suffered from it too.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

..to make things more complicated, the first run of TFC Jazz and Prowl didn't have outer tape at all. My BTA Alert was double taped too.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another thing to keep in mind is that, at least when I was working at TRU, they would take boxes that have been busted open or returned (as long as they're not missing any parts) and retape them. TRU had a special machine that they would use to reseal stuff like this. Did it a lot with DVDs as well.

But you can usually tell the difference between factory tape and TRU tape. The stuff that's resealed at the factory still looks professional while the stuff at TRU (despite the machine we used) was always very very messy.