Do scalpers make you mad?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Corbet, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

One thing I've noticed in the Transformer community is almost every toy keeps its value, some increase tenfold.

I've also noticed pics from people showing 30 Alt Rumbles/Ravages, 20 Masterpiece Megatrons, 5 Alt. Swerves and so on.

Does anyone else get mad and feel like they shouldn't belong in the fandom? I'll admit, I've considered buying a few extras of certain toys to sell in the aftermarket but it just wasn't worth the risk to me. Hell, I can understand buying an 1 extra to sell down the line but other then that it's pretty annoying seeing people scalp like they do.

Personally I'd rather buy up the "rare" toys and sell them to friends online for at cost. I've done that with Classics Starscream, Marvel Legends stuff, and others.

Please do not flamebait specific members or leech their bandwidth by hotlinking their collection pics. Thanks. --2005 Staff

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Is it aggravating?

Yes.

Is it worth getting all worked up over?

No.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

They use to really piss me off when I collected Marvel legends, but Transformers to me isn't a hobby that really thrives off of 'high end collectibles and variants'.

4. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    They only do that because people are willing to pay the inflated prices.

5. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Isn't that a given? I mean I don't understand what you mean by it... toys that are older get harder to find and some people will resort to higher prices? Scalpers in general prevent alot of people from getting an item when it is originally released (cough*rumble and ravage*cough). I've been checking 4 Wal-Marts weekly and have yet to see even 1 Rumble or Ravage. I was lucky enough to win a Ravage on eBay for $25.00 shipped (hell... the seller probably lost money on that once you subtract eBay/Paypal/Shipping/Tax fees).

6. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Well, knowing what thread those came from I wouldn't call it scapling, Megatron, Rumble & Ravage don't exactly make for high "turn & burn" profits like scalpers want. Look at Marvel Legends, Hot Wheels & McFarlane Sports and their variants or Justice League Unlimited with the short packed scalpers for examples of real scalping. If anything these guys might be speculating on selling at a much higher price later, but the days when vintage toys could help a person retire on the profits are LONG over. There are sooooooo many people out there with pieces in minty pristing boxes that the scarcity that drives current prices for vintage TFs just isn't there, with the only real exception of the short run figures. Theres a LOT of figures from the last 10 years that can still be had for jsut about what they cost when they were new, if not LESS...

Actual scalpers piss me off, they are the ones that made collecting Marvel Legends and Justice League impossible and got me to quit (same reason I quit colecting Star Trek and SImpsons...) and they tend to be the ass-hats that give all toy collectors a bad reputation with retail stores .

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

they do hack me off a little still....especially when i have yet to see alr rumble & ravage in a local wal*mart.

8. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    A lot of people buy multiples just to have, but the pics of Megs, Alt. Rumble and Ravage are annoying. And as far as I know e3nine's picks of Swerve are actually part of his collection. I have not seen him post anywhere that he gonna jack up the prices and sell the ones that are MISB.

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    The last time scaplers REALLY pissed me off was over the Car's characters...because they weren't for ME, they were toys my son wanted for x-mas and every time I turned around I'd find that 1 guy would pick an entire store clean of everybody but Mater...It took me ages to pull enough favors with my old toy contacts to get my son his set for Christmas.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

Hoarding and scalping are two different things. Just because someone has multiples of a toy doesn't automatically make them scalpers. Some people like having several of the same items in their collection. The key here is that they are collecting like the rest of us, they have interest in these toys.

Scalpers are those scum who take extra measures to snatch up everything they can that is considered "hot" at the moment just for resale on ebay. No collecting interest at all in the toys, they just want the money they bring.

I have no love for scalpers at all.

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    They can be frustrating, especially when you are looking for that one item, but not really worth losing sleep over.

12. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Only when it's because I can't find an item I want, but then that's very rare. Most times I'll find it later. Been lucky so far.

13. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I really hate true scalpers. I also hate those who buy more than two or three of the same figure. (hoarders.) I can understand up to three...maybe one for display, and two misb, but just to be greedy? come now...

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

No, because it means they want it more than I do. Maybe not for the same reasons, but they're more motivated than I am to get a toy.

Why get worked up over it? Fans create the market that support the scalpers as it is.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I guess the only thing that miffs me about scalpers is the accessibility issue. If pick up a bunch of the slightly-more-rare dudes in my local area, yeah, I find that a little frustrating.

Do I, then, turn around and pay out the butt to scalpers for that toy if I want it? Naw, not really. If it's being released on the US market, I kinda figure I'll see it eventually. Patience and serendipity are pretty cool; wait long enough for a figure, and he'll show up.

16. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

See, this isn't true though. Especially in the case of Alts. MANY people have yet to see Rumble Ravage, I never saw Swerve or Camshaft either. Many molds I only saw once (Decepticharge, Grimlock and Wheeljack, Optimus Prime, Mirage). Yes, Hasbros distribution may be to blame but it doesn't help that scalpers are buying all of them up as they hit the shelves.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scalpers don't bother me that much, since that's part of the market; if someone's willing to pay an exorbitant price for a figure, then that's what the market will support and citizens in a market economy have the right to pursue it. Scalping would probably bother me more if it was having a major impact on preventing kids from getting toys. But, realistically, most of what's scalped is collector-oriented stuff, like Alternators and Marvel Legends "hey, here's the character wearing an obscure costume or an obscure version of the character" variants, so the impact on children is minimal.

I'm not convinced that's due to scalpers, given that I've seen posts from people all over the country who haven't found those things yet (myself included). Sounds more like a distribution issue, IMO. I've been checking three Wal-Marts weekly and haven't seen either of those two Alts...but then I also haven't seen any empty space or price tags where they would have been on shelves had someone cleaned them all out. I also think it's telling that they aren't on Walmart.com yet, especially since they have store-exclusive Devastator listed.

The Wal-Mart I checked tonight had the planograms out, heralding a toy aisle rearrangement; wouldn't be surprised to see new Alts then.

18. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Any collectible is going to have a scalper's market. Yeah, it can get frustrating, but at the same time, it's the only way some fans know how to get some of the rarer figures.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    scalpers and hoarders anger me a lot.

I don't care what the excuse, there's no reason someone needs five alternator swerves, and definately not a dozen or more of a store exclusive. They hoard the stuff because it's rare, and thus impressive for them to have multiples in their collection. of course, the only reason it's rare is because they do that crap.

I got my hasbro reissue hot rod from a scalper/hoarder's shopping cart. just stopped his cart and took it out. he had entire cases-worth of the first wave of reissues in there. prime, magnus and hot rod.

if I hadnt done that, I'd have never gotten a hot rod.

let it be known that if I see you walking through a store with a cart full of dozens of something I want, I WILL take one from you.

20. murphbri

murphbri Well-Known Member

If they are the reason why I can't find a toy, then yes the scalpers piss me off a bit. Over the years, I've grown used to the unpleasant fact that scalpers are a fact of life. I take some comfort in that it seems to me that scalping is worse in other toy lines such as Star Wars and Hot Wheels.

-murphbri (still needs Camshaft, Ravage, and Rumble)