do reprolabels affect value of toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by oddobot, Oct 9, 2006.

1. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    Hey guys! I just had a question to pose. Does applying reprolabels to G1-era TF's affect the value in any way?I just got some for Prime and Grimlock, and realized I probably should have asked beforehand. But such is life.

Anyone help me out here???

Thanks!
    Jay

2. icefox

icefox Black GFC

Well if you really need to be asking that you might want to ponder if you are looking at them as investments or fun. Beat up toys that have no stickers I have no problem putting new stickers on. I want to play with them. If the resale value goes down a buck it is ok sense it was probably only worth $10 (beat up missing accessories)

3. icefox

icefox Black GFC

Or if you don't want to play with them, but just want to photograph them then again putting stickers on them makes the images come out better. Don't invest money in transformers, that is just foolish

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yes they do, and no they don't. to alot of people, reprolabels are a wonderful thing, like to me. because i invest in transformers for my own personal enjoyment, not for re-sale value. nearly every 1984 transformer i have has needed reprolabels, so now they look brand spankin new. On the other hand, there are people wo are onlyin the game to make money, and refuse to accept that reprolables bring good to the toy. to them, reprolabels are like knock offs, and takes away from the value of the toy.

So you have to ask yourself, is this something you did so you can make more money selling them, with c-10 stickers, or did you do it so they look better for your enjoyemnt.

5. naladahc

naladahc Plastic Crack Addict

I gotta agree with ya there wheeljaxx.

How many "slightly soiled" old bargain big TFs can be remade anew by reprolabels? I've got quite a few.

And honestly, they make Alternators shine... especially the Meister sheet!

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Like you guys have said, it depends on why you're into TFs. I've gotten repros for a couple G1 guys that needed them, and they look awesome now. On the other hand, if I were in the market for a complete original G1 TF in decent condition for the purposes of reselling him (or simply having an original version), I would prefer to have worn original stickers vs. squeaky new repros. Perfect stickers on a somewhat imperfect toy gives an unnatural look...stickers are one of the first things to wear on G1 TFs.

Its a little like cleaning collectible coins...the cleaned coin may look buttloads better than its uncleaned state, but, it doesn't look natural and it can greatly diminish the value.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never will sell my Transformers. So I'd rather have my cherry G1 Fort Max have blues eyes as opposed to red. Also, The Binal Tech look sooo good with the treatment. Repro Labels also helped with the Galaxy Force that had no faction symbols. I look at it this way, the labels make my collection more personal. To me it's no mre that a minor kitbash.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

That's more than a little inflamatory... You can certainly dislike repros without being in it "only to make money". That's not just an insult to toy collectors, but every antiques collector, too. To some of us there's something special about having the real thing.

Repro stickers and parts aren't "like" knock-offs. They really ARE knock-offs. They are unlicensed copies. If you like knock-offs, that's great. Some are OK. Some are junk.

The biggest problem with repros is the potential for fraud. It happens all the time with Star Wars toys - People sell the fakes as the real thing. Sometimes they don't even know it.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reprolabels increase the value of a toy for me...but then I value my figures most as display pieces and have no intention of selling any of them. Worn, discoloured, damaged or dirty original stickers make a G1 toy look worse on display, so I replace them with Reprolabels whenever I can (along with giving the figure a thorough cleaning). Different situation if you ever plan on selling a vintage figure.

10. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

how is what i said at all inflamitory? Did i say EVERY person who is ONLY a tf collector to make money dislikes reprolabels.. NO. i said that there ARE people who think along those lines. and i think you TOTALLY miss read what i was trying to say. there are people who don't give a rats ass about transformers AT ALL, and ONLY pay attention to them because they make money off them. i know, because i know people like this. THIS is THE OTHER HAND!!!! as in left or right, black and white, up and down. i wasn;t trying at all to refer to everyone in the middle. Oddobot was asking what people thought of reprolabels, and with my experiences, i told him. i use dthat extreme to make a worse case scenario point. lighten up.

I understand to alot of people its'a business, not a hobby, and they are respected in what they do, and they are aware of whats fake and real and so forth, and i also understand there are some people out there who defraud people in EVERY FIELD. fuck, i got burned on a fake amarican choppers hat. but i do not see how saying that people in it only to make money, and not liking reproductions is infaming anybody, it is however JUSTIFYING that they are purists and enjoy what they do. i don't mind at all the people who are in this to make money, good for them, i wish i could invest as much, as i've myself seen teh proifts they make, but i keep pretty much everything i buy for my own collection, and i, personaly, enjoy reprolabels, and when i DO sell something, it notify the buyer that it has been re-stickered, or repro parts used.

Then, there are people who fit into every other nook in the spectrum of like and dislike. i LOVE reprolabels, but i don't repro everything, and i'm sure there are some who only love teh original custom sets, and i'm sure there are people who only use repro labels bcause they collect original sticker sheets and such. so there, if anything i said this time is inflamitory, i want to make sure i don't leave ANYBODY OUT, ok. somehow or another, WE ALL SUCK! bad everyone. let all line up and wait for judgement, or whatever....

11. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I've considered restoring figures and reselling them on eBay. Yeah, it takes work, money, and time to get 'em back to somewhat mint condition. But, if you say up front that this is a restoration and uses Reprolabels, and they still want to bid like crazy? More power to you, and them.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I know Id rather have a repro'd fig instead of a bare one, or one with missing/faded decals. Paying crazy cash just for old original sticker sheets is nuts. Plus some of them dont stick anymore like they should. Unless they were stored in the right climate over the years.

Still this is one of those questions that get's the "It depends" answer

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call a single word of WJ's post inflammatory or insulting at all; he stated an opinion held by some collectors in a perfectly factual way. That's all. Hardly anything to get bent out of shape over.
    Ture. However, there's also something special about having a perfect condition g1 Starsaber with Reprolabels on it, thus savng you having to use the original mint sticker sheet. I've been in that situation, and I was VERY glad that Reprolabels made one.
    Frankly, that IS insulting.
    I've used Reprolabels on Starsaber, Devastator, Megatron, Cyclonus, Jetfire, and Universe Devastator. And believe me, they are NOT junk in ANY way shape or form. They're superb. I'm so impressed with them that I'm sending Delta a mint G1 Darkwing sticker sheet, so that Reprolabels can make that one too.

14. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    reprolabels FTW!!!

15. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Delta's work is far from knockoffish. Hell he produces the factory applied labels, and ones that never made it to the final figure. He goes above and beyond with his craftsmanship.

Knock off, my ass.

16. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Workmanship and quality not-withstanding, they are still knock-offs.

Dictionary definition:
    knockoff n : an unauthorized copy or imitation

Hasbro does not approve these. Quality is not a consideration. There can be top quality knock-offs, and these are among them. But they are still knock-offs.

I'm surprised so people are up in arms about this term considering how many knock-off fans there are in the fandom. I own plenty of knock-offs. Some of the early 80's modified/Four Star toys are pretty damn cool. As a kid, all the cassettes in my collection were Microman knock-offs. I also have some repro labels (not sure which outfit made them) - Repro'd symbols and I used a set of Sideswipe stickers to revitalize a trashed Diaclone yellow Sideswipe. None of that changes what they are.

As far as my earlier post, I read a little more into WJ's post than was really there and I over-reacted to that. My appologies.

I agree they are better than a "bare" toy, but value-wise they are certainly less desireable than a nice set of originals.

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Why would anybody want a figure with cruddy stickers on them? Reprolabels undoubtedly improves and restores the original figures.

Screw the knock-off argument.

18. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I love reprolabels, but I would really like to know if the toy I'm buying is repro-labelled or not. It's just that seller/buyer respect. Personally I think reprolabels increases the value of the toy. Got me a repro Springer and Soundblaster, and they simply look amazing.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Technically Rework is right. But it still hurts our feelings. (wah)

Rework u big meanie poo!

20. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Who cares if he's technically right or not? Taking his stance is fine, but the way he does is a major turn off. Of course we're going to fight the powet on this one.

And I believe they do increase the value of the figure. Hell, I've haggled on eBay to pay less because the originals were shit.