Do reproduction sticker devalue your figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Trek, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok here's the question:

Do you think that putting reproductions of a figures original stickers (like the ones provded by Repro Labels) decreases or increases the value of the figure? (I'm not including upgrade sets, just copies of the orignal stickers).

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

they increase value to me. i'd rather have bright vibrant new stickers, making my to look very new and shiny. i'm not in this hobby for potential profit, and anyone who is should rather invest in mutual funds or RRSPs. they are toys, to be enjoyed, and therfore should bring you as much joy as possible. and for me, thats looking good.

3. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

I personally like them. I think it depends on who's the buyer of your figures. Those that one original, crisp clean stickers on their toys probably is buying that for double purpose (collection and investment), but them for folks like me I'm willing to buy them just cause they would look good on my shelf.

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

It only matters if you plan on reselling.

I think it adds to their value, as it enhances their aesthetic. Who cares if the sticker was printed 20 years ago or yesterday?

5. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

It depends on what you mean by value. I think, when you get right down to it, there really aren't many Transformers new or old that have such worth to a collector that they'll fetch you a fortune if you were to sell. Some will, no question but consider the huge number of figures and merch we've seen in 23 years of TFs and that percentage is pretty small, I should think. I mean, a loose, complete G1 Wheeljack is a nice thing to have but it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and that's really not going to be all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Regarding your question about repro stickers, well, if your toy is missing stickers the monetary value a collector would place on it would likely be diminished for that alone. The only really valuable toys I assume are the old ones MIB or MISB so they wouldn't need repro stickers anyway.

If by value, you mean the nostalgia factor and the joy you get from them well, go nuts with the stickers. It can only make them look better but I highly doubt it'll affect their financial value for better or worse.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    With limited funds it's far easier for me to buy TFs that are in good shape mechanically but have tatty stickers, because I know I can use Reprobels on them to make them look great again. So far I've used them on quite a few TFs, and they're brilliant. So as far as I'm concerned they don't devalue anything and they make my own toys look good. I don't intend to sell any of my TFs but if I ever did sell the ones that have been Repro'd I'd specify it in the auction.

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I dont like them, I think they are crap. I put some reprolabels on some of my G1s that I have since gotten rid of. The stickes fell apart after a few handlings of the toy and sometimes the print came off the sticker stock.

8. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

wowo, you must have gotten them some years ago, with the old stock. they have greatly improved since then. i have atickers on my backpack, and mp3 player that have withstood rain, snow, rubbing and scratching. The Quality now is outstanding.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like Draven said, I don't see how they devalue the toy. I don't see most buyers caring about the stickers being orignal or not. All they care about is if the bot has nice shiny stickers or crappy torn ones. The only time I see the oringal stickers being valuable is when they're on an unused sticker sheet.

10. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see repro stickers as restoring an item. Restored items whether it be comics or antiques are never worth as much as an untouched item.

Ultimately though it depends on the buyer. Sure it'll look better but since they aren't straight from the manufacturer then it's not worth as much to me. It's like autographs on baseball cards. Some people see it as ruining a card and some people value the card for the autograph.

11. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Like others have said before, it depends on the purpose. As a collector, I prefer the original labels but if they are faded or peeled, I like the repro-labels.

But if you plan to resale it, I'd say the original is better. There are those who are only interested in original labels.

Say you have one of those hard to find toys, say Shockwave, if you sale it with repro labels, many collectors will buy it. But if you sale it with the original (even tho in bad shape), you'd get those same people buying it as well as the hardcore perfectionist/purist who only want original labels. Therefore it would command a higher price.

So to answer your question, it would only devalue your toys if you already have the original and replace them with repro-labels. If there's no label to start with, it can only add value. It can be removed if not needed/wanted...

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hence why I used them on my G1 Starsaber. I had the original sticker sheet, but I a) wanted to keep it mint, and b) really didn't want to risk screwing them up (in which case I'd have had to use Reprolabels anyway).
    As for the quality issues:
    I have used Reprolabels on Megatron, Jetfire, Cyclonus, Starsaber, Devastator (all 6 bots), Bruticus (all 5 bots), Defensor (all 5 bots), Menasor (all 5 bots), the Universe Constructicons (all 6 bots), and WST Grimlock. That's over 30 TFs. All of these have been handled extensively, and none of them have exhibited any problems with the stickers at all.

13. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

It depends on if you're honest to the buyer. If they think the original decals are in that great of condition they will be willing to pay an assload more, but to me I wouldn't care 'cause they look purty.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I think there's a small subset of collectors that consider reprolabels the equivalent of a KO and will pay more for the guarantee of originals, but most probably don't care. I think the main impact in terms of negatively affecting value is going to come on the really high dollar stuff like Grand Max or Star Saber, where that aforementioned small subset is more likely to be in greater prevelance. But as far as regular G1 toys with repros, there's probably more likely a positive impact on value instead of negative. Since G1 toys were so dependent on labels for their detail and visual impact, and since so many vintage toys have missing, faded, or damaged labels, reprolabels can only improve the look of the figures.

15. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

But it would still make me cry to peel off the damaged orignals.

16. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Again, it depends on what kind of collector your talking about. If it's a collector that collects only for profit then go for the originals. But for the collector that collects for the enjoyment then go for the repros.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i f you dont tell anyone theyre repro, who cares?

but seriously, tenebrouser said it all
    and as far as quality, i ordered stickers from reprolabels about 4 or 5 years ago for my punch counterpunch, and those stickers are still damn fine (though i am replacing them now, because i bought them back before they were precut, and well, lets just say i apparently cant cut a straight line if my life depended on it)

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've never thought reprolabels would devalue a G1. I wouldn't add custom-made designed labels like their Alternator kits, for example, but the reprolabels I've bought for my old G1 toys definitely added value for me.

19. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the stickers are fine, but one thing I've questioned after the fact that I've done is paint touch ups, I feel now like since it wasn't how they were released and intended by Hasbro that I've kind of screwed them up in a way, whether or not they look better.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't start collecting Transformers to make a profit and never intend to. So, I'm a big fan of Reprolabels! I don't care what they're worth if they look good. :D