Do plastic colors have different costs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jessiedart, May 18, 2014.

1. jessiedart

jessiedart Well-Known Member

After seeing that silver repaint of Aoe Galvatron in the custom forums I had to scratch my head wondering why Hasbro uses that milky Grey plastic instead of silver so often ?
    Even without more paint aps that figure would look miles better by just changing the base color of plastic used.
    I'm guessing different plastics have different costs Yes.. No?

I can't believe how much detail Galvatron has hidden by a dull Grey color.
    If all plastic colors are the same cost then Hasbro has some huge area's of free opportunity

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Yes. The flat grey is cheaper than the silvery plastic.

3. DarkPrinceofKaon

DarkPrinceofKaon Formaly known as D'POK

Ebay:
    This is a fascinating question. I would really love for one of are guys really in the know to chime in and break it down for us.

Might have some luck in the third party forum with this question. Seems like the designers are coming out of the woodwork over there.

And to add to this question, what I want to know is by changing to these cheaper plastic, how much is Hasbro really saving? :inquisiti 

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, good question, I'm very curious about this as well. I figure there must be cost differences, otherwise Hasbro/Takara would produce more figures that used the gorgeous deep metallic grey like 2007 Premium Megatron used and fewer that use the ubiquitous dishwater-grey plastic we've all come to know too well.

5. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I don't think there is a significant difference in actual plastic colors, but there is in the KIND of plastic used in a figure (and different plastics will result in slight differences in color)

While I agree that the silver plastic would make Galvatron look better, maybe Hasbro went with that particular plastic for other reasons, like maybe the "dishwater grey" plastic is easier to paint (or the paint lasts longer) or it might be more flexible/durable compared to metallic silver (which would be hugely important if key engineering components were gang-molded with torso pieces)

Then again, with how many figures seem to use grey as base, maybe they did it to take part in some material bulk rate :p