Do pets in the home taint figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paladine, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I do a lot of purchasing on eBay as I'm sure a lot of you do as well, and I'm always confused when the the seller claims 'pet free home.' I can understand claiming smoke free home, because smoke definitely taints a figure. But whose dog is so nasty and repugnant that their odor transfers onto a figure?

I've had dogs my entire life, and at no time would I consider them smelly. Even if they slept on top of a figure every day, I have a hard time imaging it smelling.

2. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Maybe it's not so much their odor, but of possible allergies?

Of course, no one wants a figure someone's dog has used as a chew toy. Or maybe some people are just that picky that they can't accept anything that's been in the same house as someone's pet?

3. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm . . . my dog chewed up the Roller that came with WST Convoy - that's the only bad experience I've had.

4. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

My Beast Wars Soundwave (the beast-to-beast figure) was "tainted" when one of our dogs mistook it for Thanksgiving dinner.

But yeah, as DBarricade said, people have allergies. The same kinda goes with cigarette smoke (believe me, that smell clings worse than last night's underwear).

5. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, there are plenty of people out there who don't change their cat's litter often enough... that smell can get pretty bad.

Other than that, I don't really see a problem. I mean, we have a chihuahua - he's got no effect on my collection whatsoever. Isn't even interested in chewing anything.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I think, as long as they don't chew on them, they will be fine.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    pet smell and fur from shedding can be an issue.

Like, my rabbits are both shedding right now, and there's fur all over random stuff in my room. TV, computer, and yeah, transformers. No matter how much I brush them, they keep on shedding. The transformers are kept well out of their reach, but it just doesn't matter.

Now, if I sold the transformers, I would of course clean them up and make sure there was no fur on them. But they could still trigger a bad allergic reaction in anyone with rabbit allergies. just because the fur WAS there, or I might have missed a stray bit.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only thing I can think of is hair. I have 2 pugs and they shed like mad. While I keep my collection away from any areas they are in, I can certainly understand why someone may be disturbed if they received a figure I sold that had a couple fawn hairs stuck on them.

9. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

I've got a couple inside cats, no problems yet although they don't shed much thankfully and know better than to get in the TF's. A stern no works wonders. :) 

10. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your Transformers are all hairy and smell like dog. :lol 

11. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've gotten figures from obvious cat owners before.

1) You could smell it on the figure

2) There was hair in the joints/cracks.

Not saying you can't have pets and minty figures. But in my opinion most pet owners allow there pets more free roam then they realize and that can become obvious to non-pet owners.

12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well my cat knocked over my FE arcee figure which broke the tip of her crest off two months ago. Luckly we were able to get it back on with superglue!

13. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

The way you carry on sometimes about TFP Arcee, I am surprised the cat
    did get put: "On [it's] way to oblivion...".

14. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

How close do you actually put the figures up to your nose? Like a true sniff test?

For a figure to smell that bad, that person's house must reek of cat poop/pee from a mile away or worse before selling it the toy got buried in the cat litter for days.

Are the figures from the 80s?

15. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Because although not all pets stink and not all pets chew on toys, if there are no pets at all there's no question about it. There's no dealing with "my dog doesn't stink" "okay, why does this toy stink then?" etc.

There's honestly practically zero risk of allergic reaction. Even a highly allergic person would have to deeply inhale and passionately lick a toy to have even a slight reaction to the amount of dander that could be on it. Same goes for cigarette smoke. If a person was so allergic to animal dander or pollutants that they couldn't be around a plastic figure that had at one point been near an animal or cigarette, that person would be in constant agony unless they were quarantined at all times.

But plenty of people think they could have an allergic reaction from touching a toy, so if it came from a pet free home, again, it's not even an issue.

Honestly it's just BS speak for "my toy is in good shape." It's not like there's any easy way to check if it's been in proximity to an animal.

16. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

My dog sheds hair so much and his hair got all caught on the sticky paint of Jetfire's rubber beard and ears. It's impossible to get it all off. :( 

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think it applies more to soft toys than hard plastic toys - but I've certainly had to air toys from the smell of newspaper used to pack them or smoking smell on them.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Agree with this.

Cat\dog hair, if not taken care of when they shed, clump up and turn into a mass of hair much like thick dust. Unless somebody packed their figure with these stuff, there's nothing to worry about.

Unless figures are displayed at very low level shelves or on the floor, there's no way for cats\dogs to come in contact with them. My cats, for instance, have never been on the upper three shelf levels of my display case, so the figures up there are untouched.

19. bdougwrx

bdougwrx Well-Known Member

Oh, that's an extra to some people. It's like leather bucket seats, it's double the price. :D 

20. doomiscool

doomiscool Decepticon Medium

News Credits:
    Our chinchilla has a thing for Shockwave...first he tried to steal my Kreo mini shockwave fig, then he chewed the end of the gun for robot heroes Shockwave my sister got...now it's got a loose bit hanging as he bit it quite hard :p