Do people wish that 3rd Party companies took more risks?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shizuka, Aug 1, 2016.

1. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Etailers are pushing MP scale because that is what sells best. Go with what is safe and what fans are going crasy for most nostalgic feeling. Many don't read comics or watch new stuff, they want G1. Etailers don't want to be stuck with products not selling, and they certainly cant commit to larger quantity purchase to the 3rd party if they feel product may be riskier to sell.

Also, Takara / Hasbro is relatively SLOW for MP production, they don't have the same large quantity sale / revenue then with their CHUG or Titan Wars / Combiner Wars / etc lines. People with more money tend to buy MP in general, and well, 3rd party can fill in gaps when you consider how many they are, and price can be similar to Takara MP pricing. For the CHUG, you have to compete with Hasbro at 15 - 40 $ figure and you know 3rd party pricing is 50 - 120 $ for same scale, and many will end up buying that instead, so etailer stuck with products they cant sell 3rd party wise.

2. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno, man. I look at TRU, Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, ect... and see Bayformers doing some major shelf warming. Hell, even most of the RIDs shelf warm. I've lived in So Cal and WA in the past few years and it's the same in both locations. I wouldn't risk Bayformers if I started a new company. The only thing from that line that looks good are those expensive statues.

3. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Shut your damn mouth.

News Credits:
    Yes but that's a retail versus 3P argument which honestly can be said about any figure.

They shelf warm because they suck. The explosion of the OS evasion Prime showed that there is a market, even for people who don't like the movies.

Also, those expensive statues are being bought buy someone to the.point that more are being made, so there is a market.

I'll admit that the market is probably more niche then say, 3P MPs but there is a demand for them.

4. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Whilst my statement was tongue in cheek, nearly all third party companies are making money off of IP theft and/or copyright infringement.

Neither of those acts are legal.

China does have copyrights and IP laws.

Hasbro could clamp down on this admittedly it would be whack-a-mole to an extent but still they could tighten the noose on retailers who would have nowhere to go and that would significantly affect their ability to operate.

On topic, as a third party collector, more risks would be producing items that everyone else isn't doing at the same time. Looking to the outskirts of the TF characters, producing original concepts and so on.

Sadly the demand is from playing it safe so I don't see that changing much.

5. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Usually there is little reward if there are no risks ...

.. who am I kidding. It's bayformers! It's a risk just mentioning them :p  :lol 

6. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Fanstoys ZOMBIE 01

I'd love for 3Ps to take on lesser known characters, like Doubledealer for example- but if its not worth the risk it ain't gonna happen. At the end of the day they have bills to pay but if the market supports 7 versions of MP Blaster and now 5 of Megatron is there any incentive to explore lesser knowns?

Skyfire for example is a very popular character with a much smaller role in the G1 cartoon. Daca Toys produced a Skyfire that was probably a gamble for them- and considering the end result it will most likely be their last figure. The reviews exposed so many flaws- it really didn't bode well sales.

Fanstoys will probably be the only company with enough experience and resources to attempt a quality Skyfire- I doubt anyone else would risk taking this one on. Maketoys has taken some risk by adding their own flare to the figures- but they have a few teased projects in limbo.

7. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, have you seen the pics of FT Skyfire? He looks badass!

8. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    There are really only 4 markets for 3P/MP:

1) '84 on-screen lineup
    2) '84-'85 on-screen lineup
    3) '84, '85, '86movie on-screen lineup
    4) anything and anything else not in #3

With #1 you get 99% of the 3P/MP buyers. Then a bit fewer for #2, a moderate drop to #3, and then a precipitous drop to the market for #4.

So naturally all the players are competing for 1-3 right now; aka the biggest market shares. But these markets have a very finite lifespan. As each is completed in characters, a significant percentage of the market drops out likely never to return.

So while #4 has by far the greatest range of characters to make, it also has the smallest piece of the 3P/MP pie as a market... But the longest future.

9. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    I will cut you with this extremely dull and painless butter knife.

Never mind, I'll just offer you some buttered toast instead.

A toast! To toast!

10. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironic how that works, no?

Not the dull & painless knife! Tis mah weekness! (<-- pun)

OOOh Toast!! I doth my hat to thee, sir :D 

11. motorthing

motorthing Polarised.

News Credits:
    I wish Iron Factory would make twice as much of their stuff. No risk in that whatsoever, I just want more Characters from them.

12. jmkprime

jmkprime Active Member

Supply and demand. The entire 3P market exists because HasTak wasn't supplying the product fans demanded. If the 3P companies can create the demand I'm sure they'll keep innovating. HasTak has already shown that they successfully extend this market into the Beast Wars era ( Transformers Prime figures anybody?)

That said, I'd love to see the 3P companies create a lost generation of 80s style figures with alt modes that never graced the original line. I'd even like to see the cybertronian/futuristic altmode characters (headmasters, movie introduced characters, etc) given proper Earth altmodes. Still a lot of potential in the market if the 3P companies can create demand.

13. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Fanstoys ZOMBIE 01

Yes I have- and FT will probably be the last 3P to attempt a Skyfire of this scale and size.

14. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

This right here. Also, some of these 3P mp releases are risky because takara could announce their mp version of the same character a couple weeks after the reveal. Also, other 3P companies could jump out and surprise reveal their take on the same character. Fierce competition.

15. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    And yet, here we are, a year later.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

16. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

I hope Fans Hobby feels good about the minor risk they took with the Monsterbots. I like it when a company at least looks like they have a plan.

17. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    You know its my opinion that 3P's do take risks,I mean look at all the stuff they put out compared to HasTak.Honestly I think 3P's have just the right amount of risk taking without it hurting their sales,so I am all for it.

18. dxp

dxp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go bold or go home.

19. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 I probably hate you, too

Not really.

I mean, I wish they did outliers like G1.5, G2, Beast Wars, the early non-screen characters (Omnibots, Dashers, Jumpstarters, Deluxe everybody), but instead the 3P attempt theses hideous atrocities like Galaxy Force, IDW, Animated, and original figures.

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Feels like MP Defensor is a risk. What's taking so long?!