Do people wish that 3rd Party companies took more risks?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shizuka, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Assuming it's not an MP I'd want a third party Armada Optimus. I feel TT will do an MP personally but I'd totally buy a stylized update.
    Anyway hells yeah. I give props to Garatron for that BWII Unicron even if it's outdated by now. I'm glad TFC took a chance on Liokaiser even if I don't really like TFC's aesthetic and overcomplicated transformations (and lack of wheels for tanks). A company that takes a crack at a Raiden to scale with CW Devastator would have my interest for sure. Devastator's easily the most overmilked combiner thus far. Predaking to a lesser extent but at least that stayed within a certain time frame. Most of the stuff 3rd parties make just doesn't interest me cuz I feel HasTak will make it and will do so with an aesthetic I like.

2. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    While I understand it is frustrating seeing so many different versions of MP dinobots, hounds, etc coming out at the same time, I do see the benefit as a collector in having choices.

But to me, 3p companies are at their best when they are looking at obscure characters.

I know Fansproject has fallen out of favour a bit recently, but they have released some figures of lesser-known characters (Roadbuster, Dinoking). They've teased Axelrators too which I'm really excited about.

3. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

+1 for AOE Lockdown or any other movie characters. I'd also gladly buy a decent Classics Superion.

4. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Haven't they taken enough risk by taking us on?
    We're a fickle bunch.

5. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

plastic quality are weak?

Both of you should see the entire HASBRO/TAKARA Transformers lines since Transformers Prime. :lol 

Titan Returns is the peak of hollow Transformers.

We are talking about entire Transformers lines here, not just one or two figures.

6. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Risk ???

Build a true to animation style Unicron - scale aside, since it would be virtually impossible to have true planet scale !!

But a Unicron that looks exactly look the 86 movie !!!
    And an actual planet in planet mode !!
    Have it roughly TR Fort Max height and I'm sure, even in limited numbers, this thing would sell like delicious banana cakes !!!

7. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Id buy that in an instant! Ditch my Amazon Unicron.

8. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I like these companies being able to exist so risk avoidance in general is a good thing. You can't have the super special super specific super original niche stuff you want (that sells terribly) if the finances from the mainstream guratanteed-to-make-money stuff isn't there to make it possible in the first place.

Risk taking should be the exception to the rule otherwise who knows what terrible things might happen if enough stuff doesn't sell. Cause that's just the harsh nature of the business. Most fans want the familiar, the safe and the nostalgic. Most don't read the comics, most don't like original super unique designs, most aren't clamoring for large expensive figures of very obscure characters.

That's just how it is. I'm sorry.

9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I do expect HasTak to do that Unicron eventually when there are no other Titans to do anymore.
    But i would definetly buy that.

10. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    Hell yeah :thumb 

11. The New Guy

The New Guy Well-Known Member

I get that it's financially not very attractive for them, but I'd personally like to see more 3rd party's making their own Transformers rather than purely sticking to rehashing existing designs. I like a lot of the figures that get made already, but Glaciallord and Steelcore are very much the type of thing I wished we saw more of. While not original I'd count things like MMC Spartan a bit more into that group too. Somebody make a Scrounge already!

I'd like to see more figures trying to get me attached to new characters rather than playing on the nostalgia for existing ones.

12. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well they are already making illegal goods. So that's risky right?

13. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    They are not. So no.

14. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    From what I understand, 3P is IP infringement. However, China doesn't have copyrights so there's no law to break...

15. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This. Why would any company decide to make a product that has an increased chance of lower sales?

16. bubbalew

bubbalew Well-Known Member

As far as risk taking, Planet X took a huge risk with Genesis. They started with a large and expensive toy for their first foray into the market. It almost failed but got enough sales to get the FOC Dinobots going. Now they have found their niche with their Fall of Cybertron figures. I grew tired of G1 long ago. The classics line saved transformers from dying out. Hasbro has been on a simplifying kick lately and I can understand that as they are a toy company. However I wish the would keep a line for their adult fans with more accuracy and more involved transformations like the ROTF line, Which I think was Hasbro at its best.

17. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun TFW2005 Supporter

They shouldn't take risks to make Bay Transformers, lol. But, we still need an MP Jazz, Seaspray, Cliffjumper, Powerglide, some Fembots, and some here and there since Takara/MMC/FT/XTrans/KFC/Badcube/Maketoys already covered most of them. I don't think making new figures is a risk unless they deviate from what the character was supposed to be, whether it's G1, IDW, Armada, etc....

18. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Shut your damn mouth.

News Credits:
    It's not a risk if there's a reward. ;) 

19. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

The question itself is really naive.

Do I wish they'd take more risks? Sure. Do I wish they'd give me their products for free? Yes. Do I wish they'd call my cell and let me tell them exactly what figure I want. Yes.

The question is: Should they.

By the way, they aren't intentionally copying each other. They don't get together and decide, "lets' all do a MP trail breaker 6 months from now!!!" Nor do they get together and say "You do an MP trail breaker, you do a chug, I'll do a mini." Designs start to fill a gap. All this means is that multiple companies see the same hole in the market and design times result in them showing their stuff at the same time.

Back to the realistic question...Should they take more risks? Ask yourself which companies are the most successful, the risk takers? No.FT, MMC,KFC, BC all choose pretty safe choices.

There's always some naive 13 year old that's convinced there's a huge market for the 12 inch MP machine wars hubcap they they've always wanted.

People often don't see that some of their wishes are truly as niche as they are. They begin their thought process with "I want" and then mold their twisted view of the way the world is around that.

20. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    They'll take more risks after the G1 MP-style lineup is complete. They'll have to at that point. Just be patient.